Author Topic: Has anyone created jazzy styles 8 bars long ?  (Read 4184 times)

Kaarlo von Freymann

Has anyone created jazzy styles 8 bars long ?
« on: January 07, 2019, 12:33:51 AM »
Yamaha has for a long time made better and better intros and endings for the styles and also the tweaking of a style e.g. changing instruments and their volumes is  better on the Genos than on previous models. 

In case you have gone to the trouble of creating long jazzy styles, (a jazz drummer does not play the same fill in every 2 or 4 bars nor does the brass section)   I would be very interested in those styles, and not only in case they are free.  I have not been able to find them on commercial sites. In case you have, please post where you found them.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Re: Has anyone created jazzy styles 8 bars long ?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 09:40:15 PM »
Interesting post, Kaarlo. When I think about making styles, I ask if the style should be "generic jazz" or "song specific." Which would you prefer?

My life is very busy at the moment, however, when things cool down a bit, I want to really dig into my Genos in terms of recording and style creation. I'd be willing to give your idea a go. If I can come up with something brilliant, I'd be glad to share it with anyone who wants it :).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Seagull29

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 09:50:40 PM »
Hi,
if it's the same thing as T5, except for Fills and Break, you can build up to 32 bars long in all variations.
Regards
Seagull29

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 09:20:02 AM »
Kaarlo. Band-In-ABox does produce styles with a lot of variation with less repeatable loops.
DGX670

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 02:49:21 AM »
Interesting post, Kaarlo. When I think about making styles, I ask if the style should be "generic jazz" or "song specific." Which would you prefer?

My life is very busy at the moment, however, when things cool down a bit, I want to really dig into my Genos in terms of recording and style creation. I'd be willing to give your idea a go. If I can come up with something brilliant, I'd be glad to share it with anyone who wants it :).

Thanks Lee,
If I remember correctly there is even a tune called "Anything goes",  any jazzy styles are very welcome.
Seagull gave good advice, but I have always relied on available style - and midi files as I believe others are better creating these than I am.  For instance some of YAMAHA Soft's midi files - I use them as background to play the melody mysel with a breath controller - makes me feel Nelson Riddle  is backing me up.  It is worthwhile to go to YS website to listen to these even if you prefer doing things yourself. They are stunning.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 09:39:55 PM »
Hi,
if it's the same thing as T5, except for Fills and Break, you can build up to 32 bars long in all variations.
Regards
Seagull29

Thanks, I believe you are right, but believing is not being able.   I have so far tried to go around the problem by during playing a style pushing break or the style button again which gives me a variety. I have in style creator altered the volume of the drums in the above because hat is what a real drummer will do, accent his fill. But I am unable to create styles  incorporating these features and adding them manually adds to the stress getting the chord changes and the melody right especially in tunes where the chord changes every 2 beats.  Which of course is very out of fashion in to-day's music but often indispensible to get a "jazzy" feel.

CHORDS LIKE THEY USED TO BE    https://www.scribd.com/doc/266575773/Flamingo-Bostic-Chords   
CHORDS AS THEY LIKE THEM NOW       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUpjEwVIQCM   Manfred Mann's Pretty Flamingo :'( :'( :'(

So once more, in case anyone has modified "jazzy" styles to "un-motonous" them, please let me know.

Cheers
Kaarlo

Offline panos

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 11:15:57 PM »
Hi Karloo,
I am not that familiar with this kind of music and in jazz music in general.

But I  was just thinking  that if a style's variation has too many bars and in those bars you want to have many variations of how a part is playing, maybe the style will react "strangely" and not good at all to the various chord changes.

Except maybe if the style is for a specific song and in a specific key where it can be tested to be playable correctly only in a specific way (chord progression) and with the use of more melodic parts.
A kind of melodic parts if I'm not mistaken are the parts of a style that can play a specific melody-riff (like  a midi part) and they don't care what chord you are playing.They always play the same notes.

One other way to brake the "monotony" of only 4 variations is to use the intros and endings of the style you don't use, as variations of 32 bars.They are long enough so before they change/end automatically I believe you will be able to press another variation.
So now you can have 8 different variations in the same style (or 9 or even 10 if you don't use an intro or an ending at all)

The "disadvantage" of this method is that you still have 4 fill ins and 1 brake only but you need more of these.

One way I can think of is to copy the style and change it's fill ins
(you don't have to record anything, just "assembly" the drum (or maybe and the bass) fill ins from another style that fit to the original style.

So now you have 2 almost similar styles.
To "connect" the 2 (or more) styles and to be able to change from one to the other you can assign the styles to a registration.

So with the button 1 of the reg you are at the style no 1
and you can play all the variations of the style no 1 using the Main buttons
and with the reg no 2 you move to the style no 2 and play all the variations (with the different fill ins and brake) of that style no 2 using the Main buttons again.

I know that it may sound (or maybe is?) a little or more complicated but if we want to compose an easy tune we can have just 4 chords but if we want that same tune to sound more "advanced" and beautiful we can add more notes,more chords,more complex patterns,more organs etc.

I think that the same "easy" or more "advanced" process can be applied to the arrangements we call "styles".

Sorry for the long post,I hope you didn't just wasted your time by reading it ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 11:23:25 PM by panos »

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 05:03:25 AM »
Kaarlo
I would have thought the simplest way would be to go into style creator, edit the style to be 8 bars long. The 4 bars will then just loop to be 8 bars long. Then you can just edit the couple of parts you want to change. Everything else stays the same.
Mike

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 05:09:03 PM »
Kaarlo
I would have thought the simplest way would be to go into style creator, edit the style to be 8 bars long. The 4 bars will then just loop to be 8 bars long. Then you can just edit the couple of parts you want to change. Everything else stays the same.
Mike

Thanks, I belive you are 100 % on track:  "Then you can just edit the couple of parts you want to change."

But wanting something and being able to do it in my case are two very different things. It's just like with midi-files. I was never able to do anything like the files (or styles)  you can buy from YAMAHA Soft and, as much as I do  admire the guys who give us free midi files on this site,  a midi-file built on a style rarely equals what the professionals at YAMAHA Soft offer.  Some old ones for which there is no demand anymore are ridiculously cheap. I believe they took and take the original Glenn Miller or whatever other famous arrangement and then duplicate the line each instrument played.  As an example, the base is not moving in a repetitive pattern.   NIGHT TRAIN  Jimmy Smith  €3.59  !

Cheers

Kaarlo