Author Topic: MXL Files on Genos?  (Read 7625 times)

Murat

MXL Files on Genos?
« on: January 04, 2019, 03:33:01 PM »
Hello all, Can my Genos read MXL Files or do I need an app on my Tablet? I have downloaded a zip file which contains thousands of MXL files, unzipped them, I copied them in to my USB stick but I could not open (didn't really know how) on the Genos via Text Reader, etc etc?

Pino

Re: MXL Files on Genos?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 03:51:16 PM »
Hi Murat
Could you share the MXL files with use here,
Some of the pdf’s Shared here a while back need to be edited further,
If I get the MXL files then I can sort them out myself.

Pino

Murat

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 05:07:48 PM »
Hi Pino, The below link was shared in this forum, I think there are over 6,000 files:

http://www.synthzone.com/files/Wikifonia/Wikifonia.zip

If anyone could please help me to understand if my Genos can display these or if I need an app installed on my Tablet?

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 05:21:34 PM »
Try these they are the Wikifonier ones that have been converted into MP3 format. You can use these on your tablet

http://ms-access.yolasite.com/
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 05:24:01 PM by EileenL »

The following users thanked this post: frajag

Offline zionip

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 05:22:28 PM »
Hello all, Can my Genos read MXL Files or do I need an app on my Tablet? I have downloaded a zip file which contains thousands of MXL files, unzipped them, I copied them in to my USB stick but I could not open (didn't really know how) on the Genos via Text Reader, etc etc?

Hi Murat,

Genos does not understand MXL files.

You will have to download MuseScore 2 to your Windows laptop, and install it.

Please refer to the following post for details of batch converting MXL files to PDF files to be used/displayed by iOS app such as Songbook+:
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,42091.msg332590.html#msg332590

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 05:25:41 PM by zionip »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 05:24:53 PM »
I have just posted the converted ones for you.

Murat

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 05:32:13 PM »
Thank you Eileen, thank you Paul. I will try now.

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 08:18:46 PM »
A little more background information about MXL files.

These are Music XML files. Music XML is standard and is supported by many other notation programs, not just MuseScore. For example, I can open MXL files in Sibelius. Sibelius keeps most of the original formatting.

Hope this helps -- pj

Murat

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 06:46:11 PM »
Hello all, I tried MuseScore and Sibelius but I would like to be able to playback the chords shown on the staffs. Is there any other software which plays back the chords?

Offline Ed B

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 03:35:48 AM »
Hi
Finale allows you to play the chords as an option. I suspect that this may be true of Sibelius and Musescore but cannot confirm.
Regards
Ed B
Keep on learning

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 04:37:12 AM »
Hello all, I tried MuseScore and Sibelius but I would like to be able to playback the chords shown on the staffs. Is there any other software which plays back the chords?

Hi Murat,

I'm not certain if you're trying to display the chords above the treble clef, but if you are then you'll need to install the Chord Identifier Plugin to enable MuseScore to display said chords on the sheet.  :)

The link to the MuseScore Plugins follows:

https://musescore.org/en/plugins
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Murat

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 09:07:58 AM »
Hi Roger,

Thank you for your reply. I have tried both chord plug-ins in the list (which was for version x2) although there are no plug-ins for MusiScore x3 and they didn't work.

Yes the chords are displayed above the treble staff however they just don't play back.

I have downloaded the files from the below link which was shared on this forum a while ago.

http://www.synthzone.com/files/Wikifonia/Wikifonia.zip

Offline pjd

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 07:35:32 PM »
I suspect that this may be true of Sibelius and Musescore but cannot confirm.

Sibelius cannot play back the chord symbols directly. You must run a plug-in to "realize" the chord symbols. The plug-in creates a new stave and creates notes (the chord!) for each symbol. The plug-in has two options: guitar and piano left hand.

I just tried the piano left hand and yep, it works although the chords are kind of dense for piano left hand.

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 09:03:36 PM »
Hi Murat,

Please be aware that MuseScore 3.0 is a Beta Release; therefore, I don't believe that any Plugins have been written or published to date for this version, which is not yet stable.  You would best be served to implement the last release until the official release of MuseScore 3.0 is announced.  I'm currently running MuseScore 2.3.2.  :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

Murat

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 11:50:07 PM »
Hello Roger, thank you for your help. I had ver.3 installed but looking at the website https://musescore.org/en/download ver 3 is the latest stable version, nevertheless I uninstalled ver 3 and installed ver 2.3.2 then downloaded and installed the plug-in following all steps carefully. However, after loading the plug-in (after retsrating and all that), when I click OK Musiscore crashes? I would really like to be able to playback chords but I am struggling big time?

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 12:36:20 AM »
Hi Murat,

Thank you for the link to the latest MuseScore 3.0, dated December 24, 2018.  The last time I checked for an update this was only a Beta Release, so thank you again for this information.  I also see that MuseScore provides for automatic updating, so we will no longer need to check for updates.

My first post only dealt with displaying the chords above the treble clef staff, because I wasn't sure if you knew how to accomplish that or not.  If you want to play the chords in MuseScore you will need to enter the chord notes on the bass clef staff.  :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

Murat

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 09:32:53 AM »
Hi Roger, I suppose I should uninstall the old version and install version 3? But, please see below a photo of what I have. The chords are displayed on top (as you noted below). But the plug-in did not work. I would like to be able to play back the chords (even if it is simple strum or whatever really) but I do not wish to create a new lines of staff and input notes etc. I really want to find a software which plays back chords the way I need it to?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 09:49:01 AM »
Hi Murat,

The MuseScore notation software is not designed to do what you are trying to accomplish.  The purpose of the plugin is to read the bass clef, such as in piano, organ, accordion, etc. music, and subsequently extract the chord and display the chord symbol above the treble clef. 
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

Murat

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 09:51:38 AM »
Noted, thank you Roger. Do you know of another software which will playback the chords? But be good if it is a free software?

Offline EileenL

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 12:44:26 PM »
If you want something that plays all of the song you may be better off with Midi Files most will show the score on your keyboard if you want to play along.

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2019, 10:59:03 PM »
Noted, thank you Roger. Do you know of another software which will playback the chords? But be good if it is a free software?

I have an older version of Finale, Murat; however, I no longer use this software.  Finale has the ability to do this via available plugins.  Finale is not freeware.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger