Author Topic: USB Stick max size  (Read 10513 times)

Murat

USB Stick max size
« on: January 03, 2019, 12:55:51 PM »
Hello all,

Please could you let me know where I can find confirmed information for the following, I’d like to ensure the information is correct and not a guess.

The Genos have 3no USB ports. What is the largest size they can handle? For example, I’d like to purchase a USB stick with a large memory and connect it to the hidden port below the keyboard for extra storage. And I would like to find out if all 3no ports can handle the same size or are there various sizes for each USB port?

Thank you.

Offline valimaties

Re: USB Stick max size
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 01:12:18 PM »
Yamaha's Compatible USB Device list is deprecated in my opinion. I think they are something 10 years ago (in time) and biggest USB Stick tested was with 32 GB capacity.
I personally use a Kingston 64 GB USB 3.0 stick, without any problem.
You can test if you want a 128 GB stick.

I have to mention, in the era of 3.2 speed (released on 2017 - they could NOT use it) and USB 3.1 (released on 2013- they could use it) or 3.0 (released in 2008), Yamaha used 2.0 USB ports :D

So, even if you use a 3.0 or newer speed USB stick, Genos will read and write with 2.0 speed.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline zionip

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 02:20:19 PM »
I have been using 256GB PNY USB 3.0, then 256GB USB 3.1 Sandisk Ultra Fit (very short) flash drives with Genos without issues.

Thanks,
Paul

Murat

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 02:44:28 PM »
Thank you, Vali, Paul.

Perhaps others might have tried a larges USB stick?

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 03:23:37 PM »
I use a 64Gb stick which I find more than enough for my use and I do have a lot of things on it. ^4Gb will work in the other ports as well but you should not need them.

Murat

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 03:27:56 PM »
Hello Paul, I just saw a post you put a while back regarding Installing Bonus Playlist from Yamaha, you said it would only work using the USB port under the Genos. So, depending on what we are trying to do we might have to use a different port? If so, this doesn't make things very easy for the users, I think. For example, if I am not confident in updating various things for the keyboard and if I hit a glitch during updating; how would I know if I am doing something wrong or if I am simply using the wrong port?
Is there a clear list somewhere indicating which USB port is used for what purpose? As it stands, we are not even sure what the largest USB we can use on the Genos, and this might also vary depending on which port we are using?

Murat

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 03:32:06 PM »
Hi Eileen, I think you are right. Most files are just KB size or some MB. How can we ever fill all that memory. Paul confirmed that he uses a 256GB which should be more than enough.

As memory sticks are not very expensive nowadays, it might make sence to buy the largest the keyboard can handle. BUT, if you have already read my previous comment I am now worried about doing different things on different USB ports on the Genos. Why aren't they all the same?

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 03:36:19 PM »
Hello Paul, I just saw a post you put a while back regarding Installing Bonus Playlist from Yamaha, you said it would only work using the USB port under the Genos. So, depending on what we are trying to do we might have to use a different port? If so, this doesn't make things very easy for the users, I think. For example, if I am not confident in updating various things for the keyboard and if I hit a glitch during updating; how would I know if I am doing something wrong or if I am simply using the wrong port?
Is there a clear list somewhere indicating which USB port is used for what purpose? As it stands, we are not even sure what the largest USB we can use on the Genos, and this might also vary depending on which port we are using?

Why are you looking for problems that don’t exist? Why not just enjoy the keyboard?

Technology changes. Even if you had a "clear list" today, it would change tomorrow.

Enjoy your keyboard. If you you run into a problem, post it here, and we’ll help you through it.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 04:00:21 PM »
The Playlist will be read by the first USB stick plugged into your keyboard. So if you plug the back one in first it will still read USB1. Never leave USB sticks in keyboard on switch off as this is where the confusion starts. If you fit a USB under the keyboard with the Playlist on it will always read as USB1 on switch on. If you leave a USB stick plugged in back or front port it will now read USB1 on switch on and the internal one will read USB2.                                         

Murat

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 04:02:53 PM »
Eileen, thank you for the clarification, all noted and understood.
Fred, I am enjoying the Genos very much, it is a great instrument and I love it!  :)

Offline zionip

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 04:38:22 PM »
Hi Murat,

I only use the top / front USB port on Genos to make it USB1 - the Yamaha provided Bonus Playlist always expects its files are stored on USB1.  I once use the USB port underneath but found accessing it physically very cumbersome.

My current USB port usage on Genos:
Top / Front:  for USB flash drive as USB1
Back:  for USB 2.0 video adapter to external monitor
Under:  Not used

The preferred size of USB flash drive is very personal.  64-GB is more than enough for most, but I need more to store various files.

Thanks,
Paul

Murat

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 04:43:22 PM »
Thank you Paul.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 02:40:20 PM »
I do not need to access the underneath USB stick once it is there also much less wear on putting in and out. This acts as my back up to user memory
  It is quite safe when using the keyboard at a venue. I have lost USB sticks in the past when I forgot to remove them before taking a break.
  Every two or three months I back up to my computer.

Murat

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 03:34:39 PM »
That's what I would go. That's why I wanted to find out the largest possible USB stick the Genos can read (there is confirmation that 256GB is fine) and then connect it to the USB slot under the keyboard for storage. Lovely idea and safe.

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 04:33:45 PM »
Hi Murat,

I only use the top / front USB port on Genos to make it USB1 - the Yamaha provided Bonus Playlist always expects its files are stored on USB1.  I once use the USB port underneath but found accessing it physically very cumbersome.

My current USB port usage on Genos:
Top / Front:  for USB flash drive as USB1
Back:  for USB 2.0 video adapter to external monitor
Under:  Not used

The preferred size of USB flash drive is very personal.  64-GB is more than enough for most, but I need more to store various files.

Thanks,
Paul

Paul, as long as you do not have any other USB media connected other than the one under when start up, it will always be named as USB1.
If you connect USB stick on top before startup, that one will be USB1 and the bottom USB2.
Myself I have a 64GB stick in bottom permanently and cover locked with the screw, and if use others, I'll never connect it before Genos is up and running.
If OS update, plug the one with OS on top before power on, and it will work as it supposed even if the stick at bottom is still inside.
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline zionip

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 04:58:48 PM »
Paul, as long as you do not have any other USB media connected other than the one under when start up, it will always be named as USB1.
If you connect USB stick on top before startup, that one will be USB1 and the bottom USB2.
Myself I have a 64GB stick in bottom permanently and cover locked with the screw, and if use others, I'll never connect it before Genos is up and running.
If OS update, plug the one with OS on top before power on, and it will work as it supposed even if the stick at bottom is still inside.

GJ,

If I plug a USB flash drive to the bottom USB port of Genos, it will always be USB1.  If I need to copy files from USB1 to my computer, I have to unlock the bottom USB port door, take out the USB flash drive to operate the rest of the process.  When done, I have to insert the USB flash drive back to the bottom USB port and lock it.  It is far too inconvenient for me.

I prefer not using the bottom USB port of Genos due to the following reasons:
1.  When doing screen captures of Genos, the resulted files are stored on USB1.
2.  Yamaha published Playlists always expects files from USB1.
3.  Genos system backups always prompts for the top USB port - at least it was my experience.

Now I only use the top USB port as USB1, everything works more conveniently for me.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline EileenL

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 05:14:10 PM »
Hi Murat, 
  I don't think you will ever use anything like 250 Gb on your keyboard. We had 500Gb hard drives on Tyros 5 and with all the files I have of songs, Wav and Midi, Styles, etc. I only used 50 Gb which really surprised me.

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 06:08:29 PM »
....I have to unlock the bottom USB port door, take out the USB flash drive to operate the rest of the process.  When done, I have to insert the USB flash drive back to the bottom USB port and lock it.  It is far too inconvenient for me.

I have Genos connected the computer via USB, so for me the 'Musicsoft Downloader' software works great to transfer files/folders to and from, add, move or delete. Works great for my use.
Guess we all find our preferred ways to do the things we want to do. ;)
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline marcodg

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 07:36:56 AM »
Hi
How many files could have a ordner in Genos ?
I wanted to copy files from my USB stick with all styles, midi, und mp3 but i got error message "Too many files in Ordner".
Thanks for support
Yamaha Genos, Korg pa4x,  Korg EC5, Yamaha FC7, Yamaha FC4A,, Yamaha L-515 B, Sennheiser E845, Behringer Eurolive B208, JBL EON ONE, Yamaha GNS-01

Offline zionip

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019, 08:02:43 AM »
According to P. 38 of Genos Owner's manual:
The maximum number of files/folders which can be stored in a folder is 2500.

Genos Owner's Manual version D:
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/7/1130977/genos_en_om_d0.pdf

Thanks,
Paul

Offline metcam

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2019, 10:37:31 AM »
I have been using 256GB PNY USB 3.0, then 256GB USB 3.1 Sandisk Ultra Fit (very short) flash drives with Genos without issues.

Thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul

Is there any different between 3.1 and 3.0?  Speed,etc?...….

Thanks
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland

Murat

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 12:13:58 PM »
Hi Metcam,

Apperantly the Genos USB read/write speed is 2.0 so regardless of the speed of the device connected (3.0 or 3.1) it will process information at a speed of 2.0.

Murat

Offline zionip

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2019, 03:09:04 PM »
Hi Paul

Is there any different between 3.1 and 3.0?  Speed,etc?...….

Thanks
Thanks for asking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#USB_3.x  has a very precise comparison table for USB 3.0 and 3.1:

Release
Name        Release Date     Maximum Transfer Rate      Note
USB 3.0   November 2008   SuperSpeed (5 Gbit/s)    Also referred to as USB 3.1 Gen 1[26] and USB 3.2 Gen 1x1
USB 3.1   July 2013           SuperSpeed+ (10 Gbit/s)   Includes new USB 3.1 Gen 2[26] which is later also named USB 3.2 Gen 2x1

Genos uses only USB 2.0 ports, so the maximum transfer rate is still 480 Mbit/s.  USB 3.1 devices will be faster than USB 3.0 devices on compatible computer hardware.

Thanks,
Paul