Author Topic: Another new guy arriving  (Read 5039 times)

Genos John

Another new guy arriving
« on: January 01, 2019, 08:40:22 PM »
Hi everyone , Im a new guy on the block, having decided to register after reading it for a few weeks. :D

I found the forum on some of my many searches for information on my new keyboard , the Yamaha Genos. When I bought it at the start of December, I suspected it was a very complicated piece of kit and would take a long time to get to grips with and my thoughts are proving correct.  :o

A little about me.  My first real keyboard was a Technics Kn800 back in those dark days of long ago .  I was interested in the midi side of these instruments and started controlling them with an Atari STE and Cubase.

I then had a KN5000, a Peavey DMP2 synth , a Korg Prophecy (Which I still have  8)),  a Yamaha PSR 9000, and lastly a Tyros1 which I lost interest in around 2010 and didn’t play anything until the start of this year. I lost interest in music when I quit a local pub band after seven years. It was only a hobby but it started demanding too much of my time. I enjoyed the experience and even my new Genos “revo” drums are not quite the same as playing with a real drummer although they keep better timing than some. However the Genos doesn’t give me the grumps the band gave when I play a wrong note. ::)

I started playing my Tyro1 one again at the start of the year as I wanted to put music to my videos which is another hobby of mine. I promised myself I would upgrade the aging Tyros1 if I was still playing it at the end of the year. I was and hence, got the Genos at the start of December. I love it to bits and enjoy playing it but struggle trying to control it via midi.  :-\

So that is my story folks , why I have a Genos and why I joined the forum.  Thanks for taking the time to read my intro.

My thanks to you all the info I have found on the forum. Have a great year in 2019

Offline Roger Brenizer

Re: Another new guy arriving
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 08:51:26 PM »
Hi Genos John,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for becoming a member.  I’m sure you'll learn a great deal about your new Genos keyboard here on the forum and will experience many pleasurable hours playing it.

It's interesting that you mentioned the Atari ST, as I have two Atari 520ST computers.  :)

You’ll want to be sure to visit the Home page and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there.  This link will take you to the Home page of the website: http://psrtutorial.com/

Should you later decide to become a supporting member, which will include lifetime membership, other forum boards will become available to you, as well as a wealth of additional musical knowledge; however, there is absolutely no obligation to do so.  You may also use the following link to discover the full benefit of becoming a Supporting Member of the PSR Tutorial.

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,15536.0.html

You’ll also gain access to an Excel Song Index database, made available to supporting members by our good friend Peter (XeeniX), which presently contains almost 73,000 song titles in over 2,000 indexed books.  This index is updated often.

In lieu of making a donation only, you may also order any of the websites resources, which can be found at the following link:

http://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/productsum.html

Joe Waters updated “Supporting the PSR Tutorial”, on August 27, 2017, which can be found here:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/index.html

We’re so glad you've decided to become a member and very happy you've decided to become a part of this great forum family.  If you have any questions, then please just ask.  Many of our members are always very willing to help you.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 09:06:31 PM »
Welcome to the forum Genos John! And a happy new year filled with music!!😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Genos John

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 09:18:23 PM »
Many thanks for the welcome Roger. 

Im sure you will agree that Atari days were far simpler than today’s complicated way of life ;D

I only needed 127 program change numbers to select  the few voices on early keyboards . A few years later  I needed to know MSB and LSB changes as well as the program changes which I could handle..but the Genos is something else again. I can change the voices, but the DSP’s in the Genos just don’t listen to anything I say to them. ::)

I love the likes of the 60rockguitar when I play it with hands on the keyboard, but its a very weedy sounding sample (like an old time Casio squeek)when I try to control it with a sequencer. It doesn’t have the distortion DSP effect attached. But that is all part of the fun of midi, finding out how to keep the keys it in check .

Thanks for the welcome too Toril. It will surely be a year full of fun with the Genos.. but Im sure it wont all be music to my ears, at least not until I can get it to listen to me.  ;D

However I have never played such a responsive electronic instrument as this one. I sad to say that I cried when I played Love Story for the first time with the romantic sax on it  :-[  ;D

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 11:52:28 AM »
Hi Genos John,

Welcome to the Forum.

You have come to the right place. Everyone here is so friendly, helpful and informative.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)
Yamaha AR100 organ:  Genos
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000, Tyros 5 - 61 and others.