Author Topic: Drawbars and Knobs Project Complete  (Read 9342 times)

Offline jimlaing

Drawbars and Knobs Project Complete
« on: January 01, 2019, 07:37:47 PM »
Hi - Some had asked (here and in another of my threads) for photos of the work in progress on my drawbars and knobs projects ... attaching a few photos of my work on my 2nd Genos, which I did a similar project on ... drawbar painting, and knobs with white line added. Photos below . . .

(I realized when I looked at these photos that I need to dust/clean my Genos panel!)

This time around, I tried a darker brown; closer to Hammond's brown, but I may re-paint them later to a slightly lighter brown ...

The big "2" on one slider has to do with non-drawbar mode (this slider affects volume of Right 2). I did that to help me find the right sliders for vol adjustments in that mode).

Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

The following users thanked this post: pjd, KeyboardByBiggs

Re: Drawbars and Knobs Project Complete
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 03:03:48 AM »
Slick, Jim! Thanks for sharing the details and pics.

I just wish there wasn't the lag in the sliders when you go to adjust the footages. Have you noticed that? It's totally counter-intuitive to the original draw bar organs. I wish Yamaha would fix the OS to address this. The same holds true with the knobs. In both cases, it's so easy to overshoot your desired settings, especially when you're concentrating on your playing!! They really dropped the ball on those designs :(.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Bachus

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 08:40:10 AM »
Still wondering why there is a single 2 on those drawbars

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 12:59:32 PM »
Still wondering why there is a single 2 on those drawbars

Me too :) ?
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 01:41:04 PM »
In my post, I explained that "2". . .  I wrote: "The big "2" on one slider has to do with non-drawbar mode (this slider affects volume of Right 2). I did that to help me find the right sliders for vol adjustments in that mode)."

(I used to have numbers "1", "2" and "3", but took the "1" and "3" off when I painted those drawbars).

Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 02:05:06 PM »
Brilliant, thanks Jim :)!

Bachus

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 02:11:31 PM »
In my post, I explained that "2". . .  I wrote: "The big "2" on one slider has to do with non-drawbar mode (this slider affects volume of Right 2). I did that to help me find the right sliders for vol adjustments in that mode)."

(I used to have numbers "1", "2" and "3", but took the "1" and "3" off when I painted those drawbars).

Jim

I missed that post,

Thanks for explaining again

Antonio

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 04:35:54 PM »
Hi - Some had asked (here and in another of my threads) for photos of the work in progress on my drawbars and knobs projects ... attaching a few photos of my work on my 2nd Genos, which I did a similar project on ... drawbar painting, and knobs with white line added. Photos below . . .

(I realized when I looked at these photos that I need to dust/clean my Genos panel!)

This time around, I tried a darker brown; closer to Hammond's brown, but I may re-paint them later to a slightly lighter brown ...

The big "2" on one slider has to do with non-drawbar mode (this slider affects volume of Right 2). I did that to help me find the right sliders for vol adjustments in that mode).

Jim

Jim
Very good !   Bravo!!!!!!

Offline Toril S

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 10:36:43 PM »
HM, - bad thoughts forming in my head about painting my whole S975 silver. i hate the black color..... Have to sleep on it...
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 11:28:29 PM »

I just wish there wasn't the lag in the sliders when you go to adjust the footages. Have you noticed that? It's totally counter-intuitive to the original draw bar organs. I wish Yamaha would fix the OS to address this. The same holds true with the knobs. In both cases, it's so easy to overshoot your desired settings, especially when you're concentrating on your playing!! They really dropped the ball on those designs :(.
[/b][/color]

Lee,  the fact you refer to indeed does  make the sliders and knobs  much less useful than they could be.  But as always you again taught me something new: the expression "to drop the ball!" :)

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 12:59:20 AM »
HM, - bad thoughts forming in my head about painting my whole S975 silver. i hate the black color..... Have to sleep on it...

THANKS TORIL ! I felt so good when reading that. I can understand the slogan "Black Is Beautiful"  (we have quite a few Somalians here and they are really good looking people)  but they are not keyboards.  I for one would immediately buy a "Tyros 5 colored  upper housing"  for my Genos in case it became available and spend the necessary time to unscrew a zillion screws to do the exchange job. To substitute  the dull-white lower plastic housing is a piece of cake compared to the upper part.  That hope is what has so far kept me from doing Jim's clever changes.   Many will remember YAMAHA offered a black T5 ;D . So it seems some people do like dust showing more scratch showing black keyboard housings just like they seem to prefer black printers and PCs and black leather in their cars (My RaRo has a "sunny" interior)    Black sliders and knobs on a black housing  in a nightclub are a nightmare.  ::)  They arranged for a spot light, but  I had problems with that because of reflections in the fixed position display. So now I have bought a little "swan's neck" LED lamp you stick into the USB receptable.  That creates the problem you cannot load from a USB stick, which I usually want to do to tailor my program to the type of place I play at.

Cheers

Kaarlo     

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 01:31:26 PM »
That expression has been one of my favorites, Kaarlo. It refers to a highly paid baseball player who is at the pro level. Once in a while, despite being paid millions of dollars per year, the player does something stupid like dropping a ball instead of catching it.

The same is true with Yamaha. They produce the best arranger on the planet but they don't listen when we ask for the most basic repairs to the OS: alphabetical lists, and knobs and sliders that mimic the real world!! That's where they dropped the ball twice!! To me, the knobs and sliders are basically useless for live performance. Jim sure made them look pretty, just like the vintage ones we older folks remember from the 60s, but they're are still useless. Can I get use to their poor functionality? I haven't, after nearly a year of trying. It's hard enough to play a show without making errors, never mind, dealing with whacky technology that should be fixed!

Offline Amxf5

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 04:16:53 PM »
I prefer the white finish also, more contrast,less dust. That's why I jumped at the chance to get a spotlight white Motif!

[attachment deleted by admin]

SnowThief

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 09:55:11 AM »
I can understand the slogan "Black Is Beautiful"  (we have quite a few Somalians here and they are really good looking people)  but they are not keyboards.
You have a way with words. :)

Offline Toril S

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 02:31:50 PM »
I wonder. Would it be possible to paint the whole keyboard?
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 03:07:48 PM »
You would never get the finish on it and would have trouble selling it on.
  Something I would never want to do.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 03:29:41 PM »
No Eileen. I will never do it, just wondered😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 09:58:04 PM »
I wonder. Would it be possible to paint the whole keyboard?
The painting part is real easy, with the products we have today. It's the labeling that would be next to impossible :(. I also know Toril is talking in jest :).

Offline Toril S

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 11:12:31 PM »
Yes, Lee :) :) But to be dead serious, I love the silver color! :)
Toril S

and PSR-47.

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 12:39:01 AM »
Agreed, Toril. It never showed the dust. Yamaha has used silver, white, black, grey, green...and yet Nord has stuck with red for as long as can remember. Red may not be everyone's cup of tea, but at least it's somewhere in between. The dust was difficult to see on my Nord 5D!

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2019, 09:46:12 AM »
Hi everybody,

Colors are really a very personal matter and everyone will have his favorite (I love the white finish of my DGX650) but I believe the Genos is black because it has been the colour of most professional keyboards (Nord excepted) for quite some time now and obviously Yamaha wanted to position the Genos as a professional arranger workstation.

Regards,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2019, 03:42:14 PM »
jimlaing,

After all this work, did your Genos sound any better?   ;D

Rick D.!

Offline Toril S

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 08:53:43 PM »
Soundpaint can be bought ar Musicsoft.com. The YEM brush must be used to apply it😀😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2019, 10:13:14 PM »
Soundpaint can be bought ar Musicsoft.com. The YEM brush must be used to apply it😀😀

Dear Toril,  making and painting "plugs", the original from which a mold  for making drone fuselages then is taken,  I have beein using all kinds of professional twin-component stuff (nothing else is really durable)  for a very long time.  Let me warn you,  with a spray gun you  might get an acceptable finish, but NEVER  a beautiful surface like the Tyros has, and as Lee pointed out, what about the text ?

Cheers

Kaarlo

Offline Toril S

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2019, 10:38:17 PM »
😀😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

dman68

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2019, 02:07:51 AM »
Heck, i'd take any color as long as it was a Genos :)  Way out of my reach for now :'(

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2019, 06:31:56 PM »

Your friendly tyros4 Interloper here, but frankly this seems to be where all the action is!

I am sticking with t4 until funds rise like the global temps are raising.

I caught the issue with counterintuitive sliders on Yamaha gear.
I have complained about it at the t4 section.
I am referring to the volume sliders for the 3 R parts. They are the most unmusical design since I can remember and I owned a new Korg M1..
I cannot make a proper crescendo with a string part reliably in the 7 years Ive owned this thing. I owned a psr 900, and saw the volume sliders on the t4, and those crap sliders is one of the reasons I bought the t4.  Those sliders (used for volume while playing gigs) have angered me countless times as they ruined my performances.

So t4   T5   now genos and the geniuses as Yamaha still are charging $5000 with the most awful sliders in existence.
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2019, 09:04:07 PM »
Sorry Sugarplumsss, I believe there is no solution.
This issue with the sliders ha been discussed here as many dislike the drawbars on the Genos.  It is anoying. That said let me repeat what I posted then. YAMAHA will not be able to change that.  In order that the physical slider-position would always correspond the the actual value output,   the sliders would have to be motorized  like I have them on my studio mixer. (it is the same system as we ealier  used on radio controlled planes,   1024 steps )

https://www.thomannmusic.com/presonus_faderport_8.htm

When for instance  a midifile played back increases the volume of the piano, a motor drives the pot to the desired position, fast or slowly, as electronically input to its motor.  And even if the sliders were motorized, as there are far more adjustable parameters than sliders in the Genos it would still not work.

You could use    + / -  endless wheels, which would immediately give you increase or decrease just like the +/ -  buttons or the wheel on the Genos, but wheels though they give you fast action do not physically indicate the actual position.  If  + / - buttons were used you would again have the problem, you can increase for example the volume, but you must keep pushing on the button to finally get where you wanted to go.

If anyone knows of a solution a digital keyboard manufacturer has been able to come up with I would be highly interested just for interest's sake

Cheers

Kaarlo 

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2019, 10:06:25 PM »
Sorry Sugarplumsss, I believe there is no solution.
This issue with the sliders ha been discussed here as many dislike the drawbars on the Genos.  It is anoying. That said let me repeat what I posted then. YAMAHA will not be able to change that.  In order that the physical slider-position would always correspond the the actual value output,   the sliders would have to be motorized  like I have them on my studio mixer. (it is the same system as we ealier  used on radio controlled planes,   1024 steps )
Kaarlo

Wait a minute... I have NEVER had this volume/ slider issue on previous keyboards.
I have a Roland Fantom G6 that also has short throw sliders.. and I never noticed this erratic quality ( or lack of design quality ) that the t4 displays.
There are no motorized faders in the Fantom nor the Kurzweil I've used.

There is another issue here.  One friend used terms "relative and absolute" in the design options yamaha can choose from. I forgot the details of the differences between the two "MIDI pots".  But no keyboard has ever been so unwieldy re changing volume in a half way decent crescendo or decrescendo.
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.