Author Topic: Genos registration numbers fading away !!!!!!  (Read 34137 times)

Offline Al Ram

Re: Genos registration numbers fading away !!!!!!
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2019, 10:16:37 PM »
Babette
Thomman UK advertises the Genos for 3,777 Euros including shipping and VAT.   That is approx $4,300 US Dollars.

I paid $200 US dollars less than that about a year ago.   So, i think the prices in the USA are slightly lower than Europe.  IF you know where to buy and negotiate.

If you pay the advertised price of $5,500 in the US you pay too much. 

thanks

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2019, 10:41:04 PM »
I paid $6,000 Canadian plus 13 percent tax.
Total Canadian: $6,780

As of today:
Total U.S. $5,025
Total Euros 4,408 If Thomman UK is selling the Genos for 3,777 tax in, we're getting the shaft!!!!!!!

How does that compare to those who received greater than a one year warranty?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 10:42:52 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

beykock

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2019, 05:54:49 AM »

As mentioned earlier by Bachus the present European Genos street price is approx. € 3500,- ( all costs included ) and 3 years warranty.
Comparable to the US prices, right ?

Most European Yamaha dealers are offering 1 or 2 years full warranty on second hand Yamaha arranger keyboards older than 3 years.

The Yamaha brand has a very good quality reputation in Europe.
Most European arranger keyboard endusers ( pro's and home players ) are buying Yamaha arrangers due to the reliable Yamaha quality, their plug-and-play features and last but not least " mountains of software " are available on the market.
No other competitor offers so much software, I guess.

If Yamaha should decide to bring back their warranty period to 1 year ( for brand new arranger keyboards ) in Europe, all dealers and endusers would never accept this
" new " warranty policy, IMHO.

Babette

Carlos84

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2019, 06:28:35 AM »
Last Oktober i pay for a new Genos 3180 euro in Holland . so much price difference   around the world  but now the price go up to 4200 euro  so i am lucky buy on time
and i have 3 year warranty
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 06:31:07 AM by Carlos84 »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2019, 02:25:56 PM »
I can not see what the Price of Genos in UK, USA, Canada and Europe has to do with letters fading.

beykock

« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2019, 05:51:09 PM »
I fully agree, Eileen.

We have heard the US Yamaha warranty for arranger keyboards = 12 months only.
Then the price and warranty discussion started.

Babette
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 05:57:52 PM by beykock »

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2019, 05:55:04 PM »
Agreed, but it's common for these topics to drift a bit.

Maybe the title needs to be modified to, "Genos warranties fading away!!!!!!"  ;D
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

SnowThief

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2019, 09:50:04 AM »
Maybe the title needs to be modified to, "Genos warranties fading away!!!!!!"  ;D
That's hilarious!

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2019, 09:03:58 PM »
I finally had everything in writing (emails, case number, etc. ) from Yamaha to approve warranty work.  Today i finally took the keyboard to a local repair shop (Yamaha approved).   

I will be without Genos keyboard for a few weeks.  The shop told me it will be a couple of weeks to get the parts and then due to workload one or two more weeks to finish.

The problem is mostly cosmetic, it does not really bother me.  However, it affects presentation and resale value.

I felt a bit of anxiety leaving the keyboard and hoping that this work does not affect anything else because you never know . . . .

Will let you know the results.

thanks

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline EB5AGV

« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2019, 10:05:24 PM »
I finally had everything in writing (emails, case number, etc. ) from Yamaha to approve warranty work.  Today i finally took the keyboard to a local repair shop (Yamaha approved).   

I will be without Genos keyboard for a few weeks.  The shop told me it will be a couple of weeks to get the parts and then due to workload one or two more weeks to finish.

The problem is mostly cosmetic, it does not really bother me.  However, it affects presentation and resale value.

I felt a bit of anxiety leaving the keyboard and hoping that this work does not affect anything else because you never know . . . .

Will let you know the results.

thanks

Thanks for the update, I was wondering what had happened!

Well, as a Genos owner, the durability of the key labels is a concern to me. I hope this is an isolated case, but something tells me that it won't be the case  :(... only time will tell!

Jose
Jose Gavila
Yamaha: U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, SY77, TG77, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, MONTAGE 6 (B & WH), MODX6+, GENOS

Plus lots other music toys :-)

« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2019, 10:13:38 PM »
Al, have you performed a complete system backup before sending the Genos away for multiple sleep-overs in someone's shop?

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2019, 10:40:40 PM »
Al, have you performed a complete system backup before sending the Genos away for multiple sleep-overs in someone's shop?

Lee

thanks.  Smart question.   Not sure if i did a complete backup.  Certainly copied to USB all my important stuff such as registrations, external styles, etc.

thanks.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline panos

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2019, 10:51:55 PM »
Just saw this topic.
A two year guarantee in European Union is by law.
It's not up to the seller to give lesser guarantee if he wants to sell something in EU.
If he doesn't trust his own product's reliability better don't bother to produce it at all.
Also the guarantee in EU starts from the day you have received the product and not from the time you ordered or paid for it.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/faq/index_en.htm

When I replaced my psr's main buttons few months ago because I was cleaning my keyboard with a common glass cleaning product :'(,
the repairer first ordered the buttons and when they arrived he asked for the keyboard to replace them.
It took him one day.The next day the keyboard was at my home again.

Is there a reason why they need to keep the keyboard until the new buttons arrive?

If you had a faulty mp3 player on your new car would you take it to the repαιr shop and leave it there for a month until the new mp3 player arrives and they find the time to fix it?

Why they should keep the keyboard for a few weeks?
Sorry but I don't understand.

Certainly the fade away is not your fault.
Everyone can understand that numbers 1-4 are most commonly used than numbers 5-10.

By the way
3.800 euros for Genos in Greece.
If a dealer has a higher price so he can make the buyer feel happy for buying something 30% off the initial price,
he won't see any client because the rest of the dealers allready sell at the real (lower) price.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 12:20:15 AM by panos »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2019, 11:50:56 PM »
Hello AL. I will follow this with suspense. My repair story did not go well, the keyboard was damaged in transport, and the whole process took 4 (!) months! But, in the end, Yamaha gave me a new unit. Good luck! Keep us posted.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2019, 12:32:13 AM »
Hi
If your letters are fading on the Genos ,Try French letters they have better protection. ;D
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Toril S

« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2019, 10:44:15 AM »
And why is that?😀😀😅
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Al Ram

thanks Yamaha - Genos registration numbers fading away !!!!!!
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2019, 09:25:08 PM »
Hello Friends

An update.   If you recall from this post.   Some numbers on Genos registration buttons were fading away.

The Genos warranty is one year in USA which is kind of the norm over here.   I contacted Yamaha a few days before the warranty expired.  They approved the replacement, however, i could not part with Genos for certain dates because commitments already made. 

Yamaha graciously extended my warranty another 90 days.   They provided me with names of authorized shops in my area.  The buttons have been replaced for free. I have been testing the keyboard and everything seems good.

Just want to mention that in this particular case, Yamaha came thru with outstanding customer service.   

This is like the third time i deal with Yamaha on repair or replacements and they are ALWAYS excellent (in my experience, they have been extremely customer oriented)

THANKS YAMAHA

You all have a great day.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 09:26:15 PM by Al Ram »
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Toril S

« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2019, 09:40:17 PM »
I love happy endings!😀😀😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline EB5AGV

« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2019, 09:42:12 PM »
Great news!. Let's hope this fading problem is an isolated case  :-\
Jose Gavila
Yamaha: U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, SY77, TG77, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, MONTAGE 6 (B & WH), MODX6+, GENOS

« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2019, 10:05:04 PM »
This is like the third time i deal with Yamaha on repair or replacements and they are ALWAYS excellent (in my experience, they have been extremely customer oriented)
Despite the fact I hate some of the Genos design ideas (non-alphabetical lists to name one!), Yamaha has always been quick to fix problems on an individual basis. I had a flaw on the surface of my Genos, and Yamaha immediately gave me a refund for the damage. Reason: Genos was so much in demand at the time, it would have taken 6 months to get a replacement in Canada and they didn't want to swap out a 6 month old, gigging Genos for a new one. Their monetary compensation was very generous, so I accepted it.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2019, 10:09:42 PM »
Yes, and Yamaha gave me a new S975 after my S970 was damaged in transport to the repair shop! Yamaha forever!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2019, 10:52:14 PM »
Overhere in Holland you can find them as low as €3500 after some bargaining..
Official price has not changed however.. 
but you can find online prices as low as 3799

I bought mine for €3200.

Best Regards.
Abby.

Offline elad770

« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2019, 02:55:10 PM »
Hi John,

Is the unit Genos price of $5000 still valid ?
It looks like the present price has been decreased, right ?

Happy New Year !

Babette

I purchased my Genos 5 Months ago:

- Genos
- Genos Stand
- Genos Speakers
- Genos Pedal
+ Free Shipping
------------------------
4100$

Not Bad i would say........

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2019, 08:06:52 PM »

- Genos
- Genos Stand
- Genos Speakers
- Genos Pedal
+ Free Shipping
------------------------
4100$

Elad

is that US dollars ? 

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline elad770

« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2019, 01:24:27 AM »
Yes, This is US Dollar!
Got it from an Authorized Yamaha Dealer!

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2019, 01:59:03 AM »
From what I could see in the photos, this is a wear problem, which is not at all unusual with this type of surface printing. I had the same problem with my laptop keys and after a couple years, I could not see the letters printed on the keys at all. Fortunately, I am a touch typist, therefore I had no problems not being able to see the imprinted letters on the keys.

Most of the tyros keyboards had the letters/numbers imprinted beneath a surface layer of clear plastic, therefore, it was impossible to wear the lettering off the keys. Someone at Yamaha engineering made a mistake by allowing surface labeling on those switches.

Don Mason is correct in his assessment of Yamaha in that they are a very reputable company that takes care of it's customers, often well beyond the normal warranty period. The PSR 900 is a great example of this.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2019, 12:29:19 PM »
Someone at Yamaha engineering made a mistake by allowing surface labeling on those switches.
Sadly, we have finally reached an era where even the Japanese companies are on a quest for bigger profits. We Baby Boomers and those born a few years before were raised on Japanese quality that no one on the planet could compete with. Now, those same companies (Yamaha, Honda) are engaged in cost cutting measures. My 2018 Honda Odyssey is 100 percent American designed and built - and it shows. Sad to see, really.

The saving grace is, Yamaha has left the important stuff (sounds and rhythms) in the hands of their own engineers. The day they farm that out off shore, will be the day I give up music :).

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2019, 03:01:08 PM »

The saving grace is, Yamaha has left the important stuff (sounds and rhythms) in the hands of their own engineers. The day they farm that out off shore, will be the day I give up music :).

Don't give up music Lee.
Just shop around for something different, if that were to happen.

Best Regards.
Abby.

Offline elad770

« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2019, 04:00:09 PM »
Sadly, we have finally reached an era where even the Japanese companies are on a quest for bigger profits. We Baby Boomers and those born a few years before were raised on Japanese quality that no one on the planet could compete with. Now, those same companies (Yamaha, Honda) are engaged in cost cutting measures. My 2018 Honda Odyssey is 100 percent American designed and built - and it shows. Sad to see, really.

I didn't understand what you were saying here but i think you are being a bit dramatic. Genos is a tool that provides you with basically Limitless! options to create basically everything you want!
I simply don't understand what does it mean: Yamaha Left the important stuff? It's such an empty statement. Yamaha is an evolving company like every other company in the planet. At the end of the day you should judge by the quality of the product that you recieved and it's the best money can buy!

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2019, 05:57:02 PM »

- Genos
- Genos Stand
- Genos Speakers
- Genos Pedal
+ Free Shipping
------------------------
4100$

Elad,
Not bad ?

Best price i have seen . . . .  specially for including accesories and speakers . . . wow.   !!!!

I paid $4,125 for the keyboard only, i thought i had the best price.  Your price beats all i think . . . .

Congrats.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2019, 06:17:49 PM »
We're only sharing opinions, right? In that sense, everyone has it's own and is right. Because we all have different measures, needs and expectations.
Saying that, I must say I'm with Lee on that. My interest on hi-quality audio dates back to early 80's, when names Akai, Sansui, Nakamichi, JVC Technics, Sony, etc. were synonyms for "the best". How many of those offer something worth to consider nowaday? None! All of them ceased to exist shortly after they started to make cheapo (no innovations, plastic & rubber, etc.) products. Consumers aren't really that dumb -we do sense when someone is just trying to pull money from our wallet... sooner or later. Right now, my confidence in "Made in Japan" isn't that high anymore -most parts (or even complete products) are made outside Japan anyway.
Back to topic... in my opinion, there's no excuse for $4000€ product for such thing to happen (fading symbols on keys) -no matter how "friendly" service department is after the fact. For comparison sake: I have about 5 years old $10€ PC keyboard (heavy used!) made in China and it still looks and works as new. Prints on plastic isn't some rocket science -only basic quality required.
I don't wish to compare Yamaha keyboard with other (only few existing) brands. Having PSR-S775, I'm very happy camper:
-excellent price/performance ratio
-excellent ease of use (arranging)
-sound/voice quality is on par or better than other brands offer in similar price category
-panel buttons made of rubber... what can I say... feels cheapo.. for $1000€...
Yes, I would recommend S775 anytime.
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline elad770

« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2019, 07:13:42 PM »
We're only sharing opinions, right? In that sense, everyone has it's own and is right. Because we all have different measures, needs and expectations.
Saying that, I must say I'm with Lee on that. My interest on hi-quality audio dates back to early 80's, when names Akai, Sansui, Nakamichi, JVC Technics, Sony, etc. were synonyms for "the best". How many of those offer something worth to consider nowaday? None! All of them ceased to exist shortly after they started to make cheapo (no innovations, plastic & rubber, etc.) products. Consumers aren't really that dumb -we do sense when someone is just trying to pull money from our wallet... sooner or later. Right now, my confidence in "Made in Japan" isn't that high anymore -most parts (or even complete products) are made outside Japan anyway.
Back to topic... in my opinion, there's no excuse for $4000€ product for such thing to happen (fading symbols on keys) -no matter how "friendly" service department is after the fact. For comparison sake: I have about 5 years old $10€ PC keyboard (heavy used!) made in China, and it still looks and works as new. Prints on plastic isn't some rocket science -only basic quality required.
I don't wish to compare Yamaha keyboard with other (only a few existing) brands. Having PSR-S775, I'm very happy camper:
-excellent price/performance ratio
-excellent ease of use (arranging)
-sound/voice quality is on par or better than other brands offer in similar price category
-panel buttons made of rubber... what can I say... feels cheapo.. for $1000€...
Yes, I would recommend S775 anytime.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion and nobody makes personal criticism on your opinion. I onl have a problem with lack of specificity. To say something isn't good without specifying what is it that makes it not good is not serious and not convincing as for Yamaha. If there's one thing you can say about Yamaha keyboards is that they Last for a long, long time and from what I see people selling Tyroses all over, it doesn't even depreciate much which is incredible and only makes my point.
You don't know how the knobs were used and this can happen for many reasons. Yes! There's a need to conserve on material quality to allow other advancment to take place like for example the fact that the Genos is the BEST arranger out there. So, if you are a CEO and would like to use resources properly you can either decide that the Genos will be plastic and not Gold so other resources will be invested in user fridley interface which takes years and millinons of dollars to develop. Also, the s775 is an instrument that has SPEAKERS ON BOARD. Rubber buttons is almost a most if you don't want buzzing sounds coming from plastic. Genos is a professional arranger that doesn't have a speaker on board thus plastic is the right way to go. Finally, considering that we are humans and companies thrive on correcting mistakes, the fact that Yamaha is a customer friendly company is SUPER important and more important than the investment itself. The understanding that the company is behind the customer worth everything for the consumer! i wouldn't dismiss that.
As i mentioned above i got an amazing Genos package for 4100$ I could have gotten the Genos for 3500$ Brand new. Could i have paid 6000$ ? Yes. It's available for 7000$ too if you are willing to pay

an instrument that gives you so much for 3500$? absolutely worth it! You think that in a few years you are not going to see wear in ANY instrument or material exist on this planet you are wrong
You said: Nobody makes such and such anymore. Yes, becasue times have changed. If you want to buy vintage stuff or anything else it's available for you.

« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2019, 07:26:56 PM »
Elad770 - Tyros was at the top of the heap in its day. It had non-fading buttons. It also cost millions to develop from the PSR series. Yamaha made good coin on its sale over the years (I assume) and without sacrificing build quality. You wanted specifics? There you go :).

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2019, 08:04:47 PM »
Of course, you are entitled to your opinion and nobody makes personal criticism on your opinion. I onl have a problem with lack of specificity. To say something isn't good without specifying what is it that makes it not good is not serious and not convincing as for Yamaha. If there's one thing you can say about Yamaha keyboards is that they Last for a long, long time and from what I see people selling Tyroses all over, it doesn't even depreciate much which is incredible and only makes my point.
You don't know how the knobs were used and this can happen for many reasons. Yes! There's a need to conserve on material quality to allow other advancment to take place like for example the fact that the Genos is the BEST arranger out there. So, if you are a CEO and would like to use resources properly you can either decide that the Genos will be plastic and not Gold so other resources will be invested in user fridley interface which takes years and millinons of dollars to develop. Also, the s775 is an instrument that has SPEAKERS ON BOARD. Rubber buttons is almost a most if you don't want buzzing sounds coming from plastic. Genos is a professional arranger that doesn't have a speaker on board thus plastic is the right way to go. Finally, considering that we are humans and companies thrive on correcting mistakes, the fact that Yamaha is a customer friendly company is SUPER important and more important than the investment itself. The understanding that the company is behind the customer worth everything for the consumer! i wouldn't dismiss that.
As i mentioned above i got an amazing Genos package for 4100$ I could have gotten the Genos for 3500$ Brand new. Could i have paid 6000$ ? Yes. It's available for 7000$ too if you are willing to pay

an instrument that gives you so much for 3500$? absolutely worth it! You think that in a few years you are not going to see wear in ANY instrument or material exist on this planet you are wrong
You said: Nobody makes such and such anymore. Yes, becasue times have changed. If you want to buy vintage stuff or anything else it's available for you.

Wow!

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2019, 08:28:18 PM »
Just to clarify
..the s775 is an instrument that has SPEAKERS ON BOARD. Rubber buttons is almost a most if you don't want buzzing sounds coming from plastic....
I (still) have S670, which has real "click" buttons -never heard they would "generate" some sound.

..If you want to buy vintage stuff..
I'm not after vintage.. I wish better. But that's not the point why I mentioned "old days"... message was: after they started delivering questionable quality, they've disappeared from market.

I think, it's important for me to say, I don't think Genos is not good keyboard overall -far from that! I still believe it's a technical gem.

Wish great day to you all
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Toril S

« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2019, 09:11:59 PM »
Keeping letters underneath the buttons as on the Tyros is great.
My 2100 have smooth plastic buttons, stable, easy to find, and they don't make vibrating sound. I had a hard tome adjusting to the PSR S970/75's rubber buttons. I think they imagine them to be more comfortable, but I don't agree. BUT, the world is not perfect. All in all I am very happy with my Yamaha products: I have 4 keyboards and a piano from the company!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Ingar

« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2019, 06:27:31 PM »
Hello Friends

I just noticed that some numbers on the registration buttons are fading away, specially numbers from 1 to 4.   It is not even a year !    anyway . . . . anyone noticing the same ?  I do not know why.   i guess mostly use . . . . i always have my hands clean when playing, so, it is not because of dirt or sweat or anything like that.   

Is there an easy way to replace them ?  I do not use the OTS buttons and the numbers on those are pretty good.   would it be easy to exchange them ?    Only problem is that eventually those numbers will also fade away  . . . .

Any way to re-paint them ?

Any suggestions/Comments are appreciated.

thanks in advance.
The figures are screen printed. The knobs are made of plastic and the quality of the ink and the pretreatment of the plastic is very important for a durable result. I have been working with screen printing for many years and know most about the type of problem. It is the printing company that has made a mistake and the guarantee applies of course

charlie

« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2019, 07:45:03 PM »
The $5K is the MSRP.  Most people did not paid that price but got better pricing from good dealers.

I contacted my dealer about the registration buttons problem (numbers fading away) he said i need to contact Yamaha directly to start the warranty process. 

I called yesterday but Yamaha was on vacation.  Will try again tomorrow Wednesday 

Yes. i liked the T4 and T5 registration buttons where the number was inside.

thank you all.
Yamaha should see to this problem. DO NOT MESS ABOUT WITH IT!!!

Offline Rien5

« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2019, 08:58:30 AM »
Unfortunately I have a similar problem with fading "Song" button on my Genos (end 2017).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline EB5AGV

« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2019, 09:22:45 AM »
I am beginning to see a "Genos LABELGATE" around the corner  :(

As an electronics equipment repairer, I have seen similar kind of quality problems on expensive amateur radio gear, as the fading OLED displays on the Yaesu FTdx-5000, which was about the price of a Genos (even a tad more) when new. On that case, the manufacturer, Yaesu (which is also japanese) has offered for years (the model was launched on 2010) new updated displays for free (a total value of about 120 EUR, there are three units), but the owner should pay for the labour if the unit is over the 2-year (in EU) warranty period.

So, how that could appy to this case?. There are plenty of similarly labelled buttons on the Genos. And, sadly, if this is a problem with the printing process and/or materials used, all of them are equally prone to fade. Of course, most used buttons will fade first, as we are seeing. I guess that Yamaha (its suppliers really) would find another more durable way to print the labels and then replace them on new manufactured units and offer a new keyset to other owners, which would be installed for free if under warranty and for the cost of the labour if not.

What Yamaha should avoid is to let current Genos users down with fading key labels and no solution. That would hurt model sales and Yamaha brand image quite a bit, IMHO.

Jose
Jose Gavila

Offline EileenL

« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2019, 12:40:07 PM »
Well I have had my Genos from when it first came out and believe me the buttons have had a lot of use but are still as good as new. When cleaning my keyboard I only use a damp cloth and then polish up with a Micro Fibre cloth. I always use registration banks for my set ups so as you can imagine they do get a lot of use as do the multi pad buttons and still look as new.

« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2019, 10:34:07 PM »
I do the same as Eileen. I only use a microfiber cloth and warm water, well wrung out. My numbers are stable for the moment, touch wood. (Lee is currently rubbing his head :).)

Offline EB5AGV

« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2019, 11:26:52 AM »
I do the same as Eileen. I only use a microfiber cloth and warm water, well wrung out. My numbers are stable for the moment, touch wood. (Lee is currently rubbing his head :).)

We have here so far only two known cases of fading numbers so, yes, it may be just some isolate cases. But, sadly, I think that it is a matter of time all units will begin to manifest the problem if, as I suspect, is a manufacturing glitch. I also care a lot my Genos and don't use anything which may damage its surface, just distilled water (so there is no residue) and a soft cloth. But even doing that, when you press any key, there is some light abrasive action on them by our fingers, even if slight, which will remove some paint molecules... When you repeat that thousand times, if the material is not strong enough, it will fade. I have seen that on professional items which painting on them, as I worked on R&D on an electronics manufacturing company which used some painted keypads. Repeat use can kill even the most resistant paints.

And, on Genos, there is no protective layer over the buttons. Which gives me a hint  :)... Perhaps placing some transparent film on the keys will prevent them to fade. If we could find a suitable material, soft, easy to cut... Similar to old (non-glass) mobile phones protectors... May we have a chance to protect them before damage is done?. I would sacrifice somewhat (it could be made so it would be almost invisible) the looks if they are durable enough. At least for most used buttons, as registration ones. Just an idea!  ;)

Jose
Jose Gavila

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2019, 02:45:05 PM »
It seems to me that the fading is not related to cleaning, but an effect of wear due to  usage, possibly combined with the specific composition of sweat and finger grease (which is different for each person). I've had several Yamaha devices, of which the longest period, a PSR 620, spanned more than 15 years. And it had no faded text anywhere, despite dragging it around to rehearsel rooms weekly, gigs and almost dayly usage. Actually, I've never had faded text on any keyboard, whatsoever. Quite embarassing that they messed this up on a TOTL device, which (did) cost(s) EUR 4000+.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

Offline elad770

« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2019, 06:51:48 PM »
Unfortunately I have a similar problem with fading "Song" button on my Genos (end 2017).

I have an idea: DO NOT PLAY SONGS!  ;)

Offline panos

« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2019, 08:31:22 PM »
The extinction of letters on keyboards in our times.
Oh my God...This is Genoside! :)

Offline Toril S

« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2019, 09:05:43 PM »
LOL😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Al Ram

Re: Genos registration numbers fading away !!!!!! zaga continues !!!!
« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2019, 03:28:14 AM »
Well ... . . Yamaha replaced the registration buttons that were fading away.  That is good.

The bad news (for me) is that now the HOME button is also fading away !!!!!!

I will contact Yamaha Monday to see what can be done about it . . .

Will let you know.

thanks

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline EB5AGV

Re: Genos registration numbers fading away !!!!!! zaga continues !!!!
« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2019, 10:53:17 AM »
Well ... . . Yamaha replaced the registration buttons that were fading away.  That is good.

The bad news (for me) is that now the HOME button is also fading away !!!!!!

I will contact Yamaha Monday to see what can be done about it . . .

Will let you know.

thanks

I am afraid ALL buttons will fade sooner or later. And that is bad for all of us, Genos owners  :'(

Jose
Jose Gavila

Sergey Kadyrov

« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2019, 01:12:47 PM »
We know that there’re famous building toys called “LEGO”. In the past I reviewed some of them. Despite of the reputation of a high quality product, in recent years it was rather common that some sets had missing parts, some painted elements (like faces) were easily scratched away, some specific parts (like remote controls) were too smelly.

You could order replacements free of charge, but can you imagine that you buy for your kid a big and expensive set on a Christmas or birthday, and during assembly (s)he realizes that (s)he can’t build the toy because some parts are missing? Coincidentally LEGO had decided as well that moving some productions to China will be a right thing to do.

We can assume that the rule in this business is “eat or be eaten”. Maximizing profits is not necessarily a result of a greed, because each company has to keep innovating as hard as they can, spending on it as much money as they can.

A consumer wants something new every day and the company which fails to satisfy this need is momentarily comes closer to bankruptcy, regardless of its today’s position. And we know that once a company starts to move in that direction, they try to sell their products for even higher prices.

As for the fading titles on Genos I’d say this. In my view, Genos is an expensive, yet not luxurious product. Unlike some acoustic grand pianos, or even stage pianos like CP1, it’s mostly a very practical thing. You are not paying for its looks or some handicraft, mostly you are purchasing the software within.

As I understand, most of ordinary acoustic upright pianos cost more than Genos. Making an analogy with cars, I’d say, Genos is not Mercedes, BMW or some Lexus. It is a contemporary car which is a top of its own line, but it’s intended to be priced within certain limits. Yamaha produces instruments for practical needs, not for private collections. This goes for LEGO toys which I mentioned above. They are expensive, but they are supposed to be bought by majority.

I guess CP1, or even CP73/88 are more about their appearances than Genos. But they are less fun. While I share your feelings, I guess we have to compromise on it. After all, an arranger keyboard is supposed to get dated rather fast. Just judging by how much the discussions are focused now on Genos now and all the previous models are now in a shadow it’s easy to picture that in few years all the attention will be focused on something new. So what’s left is to get what you can from this product today keeping in mind that in few years it won’t be this exciting even with a brand new look.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 01:17:40 PM by Sergey Kadyrov »