Author Topic: MACOSX Files  (Read 2486 times)

Offline terryB

MACOSX Files
« on: December 26, 2018, 05:10:32 PM »
Hi knowlegable people

In recent downloads for Genos third party software, I have come across compressed files which contain a file called MACOSX, with the file containing the name of the file I am purchasing following underneath. I think that I have tended to ignore the MACOSX file and extract the main file name to a USB stick to load into Genos. Can anybodyexplain what the purpose of the MACOSX file is, and why two files are included  ??? :-\

Cheers
Terry

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

Re: MACOSX Files
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 06:33:07 PM »
If you're on Windows that's a folder configuration file you're seeing left by the person that made the zip file. It's normally invisible. You can just ignore it.
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

The following users thanked this post: terryB

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 07:54:19 PM »
Some developers like to bundle the Windows and Mac versions of their programs together— maybe it’s more convenient for them; I don’t know. Windows users are expected to install the Windows version, and Mac users are expected to install the Mac version. I would think that it’s less confusing to the end users if the Windows, Mac, and (if available) Linux versions were packaged and distributed separately, and most large developers do create separate installations for different operating systems. But small developers will occasionally put the Windows and Mac versions together in one compressed archive, but within two separate folders.

Offline terryB

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 08:25:39 PM »
Hi fellows, I knew I would get an explanation, thats great to know my gut instinct was to go for the main title, thanks

Cheers
Terry

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 06:52:48 PM »
If you're on Windows that's a folder configuration file you're seeing left by the person that made the zip file. It's normally invisible. You can just ignore it.

+1

When working on Windows, I delete MACOSX on sight.  :D It's never been a problem.

All the best -- pj