Author Topic: Expression Pedal  (Read 5817 times)

Cowsonconcrete

Expression Pedal
« on: December 26, 2018, 11:15:40 AM »
Hi everyone and Happy Holidays.

I'm planning on buying either a Roland or Yamaha expression Pedal for my psr s770.
Can this be used to control the Leslie effect with the organs?
The only reason I ask is that when I use my current Yamaha switch pedal the only options I get are the 3 standard piano pedals and volume. 

I'm hoping to get a Korg SV1 in the summer and will definitely get one then but just wondered if it was possible on the psr.

Thanks everyone.

Offline mikf

Re: Expression Pedal
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 02:27:10 PM »
I am not familiar with the 770, but most Yamaha PSR keyboards give you a wide range of functions you can control with a pedal. Are you sure you are doing this properly? The keyboard dictates which functions are available not the type of pedal.
Mike

Offline andyg

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 04:50:52 PM »
Two footswitch sockets on a PSR-S770;

Socket #1 is for a straight on/off switch and that one you can use for all manner of things - just hold Direct Access and press the switch to see what it will do. It can also change registrations via the Registration Sequence menu. Function>C>Registration Sequence. It's this one that you would normally use to change the 'leslie' speed, via the DSP Variation.

Socket #2 is the one that you can use with a volume pedal. You really don't want to use that type of pedal for anything else other than volume. IIRC, it's the default setting for footswitch #2 (unless Yamaha have messed that up again!)

As for what pedal to go for. Simple. FC-7 for volume. Built like a tank and will last forever. FC-4, FC-5 or any decent quality on/off, non-latching footswitch for the other pedal. I can't guarantee that the FC-7 would work with a Korg SV1, but the other pedals would no doubt be OK for things like sustain on the Korg's piano type sounds.

It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Cowsonconcrete

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 10:15:57 AM »
Many thanks for the replies.

Using the Direct Access buttons I realised I hadn't scrolled down far enough (it's not as clear as on other screens).  So I can now control the leslie with my foot switch.

As an aside though, as I currently i use a switch the change is quite harsh.  Do I presume that an expression pedal would give me the greater control over the switch and speed?

Thanks again

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 11:04:26 AM »
It depends whether it is a switch on/off function or full graduated control function, like volume. I suspect it is the latter, but don't know because I don't use it. If so then yes, it will give full graduated control.

Offline andyg

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 06:13:31 PM »

As an aside though, as I currently i use a switch the change is quite harsh.  Do I presume that an expression pedal would give me the greater control over the switch and speed?

No, you don't use an expression pedal for speed change. The speed change parameters are editable. Remember that a twin rotor leslie will have its treble rotor spin up and down almost instantly, while the drum takes a few seconds. Different DSP effects will behave differently. I don't have my S970 in front of me, but IIRC, the best rotary effect is 'Dual Rotor Bright'.

The expression pedal's only real use is for volume changes. It will do on/off switching but it's a waste and if you try to use it for things like glide or pitch bend, it's too imprecise, you just don't have enough accuracy with your foot!
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Genos John

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 08:01:24 PM »
Hi cowsonconcrete I guess it all depends on the kind of music you like but I couldn’t be without my expression pedal.
Turn on your favourite blues ACMP ... select an organ or guitar voice and turn of the pedal Wah DSP.

Think “I aint Superstitious” Jeff Beck and you will find out what the expression pedal is really for.  ;D

Just my opinon and music taste though.

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 10:25:17 PM »
Andy
I have to disagree with you, I find using the expression pedal for pitch bend very easy, much easier than the wheel, especially since like most piano players I use a very active left hand. It’s just about setting it correctly to produce a great effect on trombone, sax and guitar.
Mike

Offline Denn

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 06:22:47 AM »
Hello Fred, Last Christmas I downloaded the free Yamaha Christmas pack for my S770. Loaded it but did not think too much of it. Removed it and reinstalled my own organ pack. Went to my own registrations and found that the pedal settings were all over the place. No problem I thought, reload them from my USB backup. Different set of pedal settings on ALL the registrations. So, download my backup from Boxnet and load that. Again a different set of pedal settings again. I have tried with the tick in and out of the pedal box in the memory section and also the other one in the functions section. My resort now is to resave EVERY button on every registration so that I have pedal 2 as Volume for my FC7 and pedal 1 as step up for my FC5.
I have over 200 registrations! Sad. Any suggestions please?
Regards, Denn.
Love knitting dolls

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 12:16:38 PM »
@all
"Denn" posted this question in multiple threads. Please answer here (to have all the answers in one thread):

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,48460.msg379596.html#msg379596
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

pfeuh

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 05:36:59 PM »
Hello,

I find using the expression pedal for pitch bend very easy

That is a thing I would like to do for a while. But I haven't found the way. :(

Regards,

Pfeuh

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 07:03:29 PM »
... That is a thing I would like to do for a while. But I haven't found the way. :( ...

Hi Pfeuh,

how to assign an Expression Pedal (FC7) to "Pitch Bend" function:

• Connect your FC7 to the desired "Assignable Foot Pedal" jack (1, 2 or 3) and THEN power on the Genos. Do not touch/move the Padal during the Genos boot process.

• Press [Direct Access] button, then slightly move the FC7 pedal.

• This calls up the "Assignable" display with the focus at the "right" Pedal (1, 2 or 3).

• Select function "Pitch Bend" (as mentioned in Genos Reference Manual, pages 125/126) and make the desired settings for "Up/Down" and "Range" parameters.

• Make necessary settings of the selected function shown at the bottom of the display (for which PARTS this function should be used).

• Press [Exit] to close the "Assignable" display.

• You can memorize your Pedal settings to a Registration.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 07:07:41 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline mikf

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2019, 10:16:14 PM »
As far as setting for pitch bend, I have found the best way is set the direction so that pitch rises as the pedal is moved upwards, full up is full pitch and set span to about 2 semitones. The to use it you depress the pedal down about halfway just fractionally before you hit the note to be bent, then back the pedal off to full pitch. It doesn’t take too much practice to time it and sound authentic.
Mike