Author Topic: psre 463 samples to genos  (Read 4587 times)

mrkim

psre 463 samples to genos
« on: December 19, 2018, 01:11:20 AM »
Can you play the samples you make with the psre  463 on the genos or could you use them as audio pads thanks kim :P

SeaGtGruff

Re: psre 463 samples to genos
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 04:11:04 AM »
If you're loading the original samples into the PSR-E463 from your phone or computer or whatever, couldn't you just load those same original samples into Multi Pads on the Genos?

Or are you directly sampling the sounds on the PSR-E463? (Sorry, I don't know how the sampling works.) And if that's the case, which part of memory are the sampled sounds saved in? Can you transfer that memory to a computer using Yamaha MusicSoft Downloader, like you do with a Backup File? (Again, sorry, I don't know how that works.)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 11:57:27 AM »
They have to be WAV files to use in Audio multi pads.

mrkim

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 12:54:21 PM »
Hi i have not bought the  463 yet but the  Manuel says that you can save the sampled  sounds to a USB  my question is can i put them in the genos and play them on all keys to play a Melody thanks kim

Offline DerekA

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 01:26:04 PM »
You can use the Yamaha Expansion Manager (YEM) software to create a custom voice using your own wav samples, then load it up into any of the newer keyboards that support YEM.

Results will vary ...  :)
Genos

mrkim

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 06:32:17 PM »
Thanks for all the replays so the real 
question is what type file dose the  463 save the sample in Kim

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 07:49:44 PM »
I think we have one or more members who have a PSR-E463 or PSR-EW410, so perhaps someone can make a sample, save it to USB, and let us know what file type it is. My guess would be either WAV or MP3— probably WAV?

Offline andyg

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 09:20:05 PM »
And depending on how sophisticated the E463's sampling system is (and it's a budget keyboard so I would not expect that much sophistication), you'll probably find the results rather disappointing if you intend to play a sound across the keyboard of the Genos. For this you need multisampling, ie a sound is sampled many times across its range, maybe every two or three semitones. If you don't do this you get a sound that is great on the note that you sampled, but odd things happen when when you move away from the note. An octave lower and the sample will play back at half speed and brass voices, for example, will fart or burp. An octave higher and the sample plays at double speed and it will all sound very 'Mickey Mouse'.

If you record a sound for use at one pitch, maybe as an audio multipad, then things should be OK.

So do a close, detailed check on the spec of the 463 - download the owner's manual, too - to see if it will meet your needs.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline pjd

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 10:04:52 PM »
In the E463 specifications table, sampling format is specified as:

"Original File Format (16 bit, stereo)"

Uh, oh, I smell a proprietary format.

With any luck, you may be able to import the file into Audacity (or whatever) as a raw audio file (16-bit linear, interleaved stereo, 44.1kHz), delete the proprietary header info (which will sound like noise), and write the result as a proper WAV or AIF file. It's not that hard to do, but if you need to convert a large number of files, then it gets tedious.

Andy's good comments still apply.

All the best -- pj

P.S. I took a quick look at the manual. The "Original File Format" probably stores the key zone information as well as the digital audio samples.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 10:11:20 PM by pjd »

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 10:52:28 PM »
Thanks for checking the manual!

If I’m not mistaken, you don’t need to create the original sample on the keyboard— you have to make a sample inside the keyboard, but to do that you must either attach a microphone to the keyboard or else connect a phone and just play an existing sample or audio file on the phone so the keyboard can make a sample from it.

So the smartest thing to do would be to just record the original sample on a computer, laptop, tablet, or cell phone. You could still use that original sample to make a sampled “voice” on the PSR-E463 if you wanted, but you could also use the original sample with your other keyboard.

Offline Ed B

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 03:19:53 AM »
Hi
Why would you want to do this? The Genos is top of the line it already has great voices! Why not use what your paying bi bucks for.

Regards
Ed B
Keep on learning

mrkim

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 08:34:18 PM »
Hi thanks for all the replays as good as the sounds on the genos are  and i love my genos when you listen to some of the string and or-crustal sounds on some sample library's they  sound so much more real.so would using sampling librays be a good way to add more sound  to play and would it  be hard to play them from genos thanks kim