Author Topic: Genos and cp4  (Read 5343 times)

Bachus

Genos and cp4
« on: December 15, 2018, 10:53:06 PM »
Is anyone using the genos in combination with a cp4 stage piano?
It looks like the button placement on cp4 allows for placement of the genos just over the cp4
Giving it more the feeling of an organ instead of 2 keyboards with 30cm between them in height..
I really dislike having that huge gap between the keyboards..

Wondering if someone uses this with v-console

https://youtu.be/cwxySiCE7n4

Offline zionip

Re: Genos and cp4
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 11:10:54 PM »
Hi Bachus,

Toplayer2 mentioned this setup on his "Free Enhancement Package for Theatre Organ Lovers" thread:
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,42338.0.html

Thanks,
Paul

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

Offline zionip

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 09:46:01 AM »
Bachus,

I know you have a Korg Kronos 88-key workstation keyboard.

With the use of the iOS app "Kronos Remote", the space between the Genos and Kronos 88-key can be minimized for V-Console configuration, since we can now use the "Kronos Remote" app to choose set lists, combis, and programs on the touchscreen of the iPad instead of Kronos built-in touchscreen.  There is no need to have a huge space between the two keyboards.  Other aspects of Kronos can be dealt with using the Kronos Editor program on PC / Mac.

After you synchronized the "Kronos Remote" app with the set lists, combis, programs etc of your Kronos 88-key via Kronos' To-Host port and Apple Lightning to USB 3.0 camera connection kit with a USB printer cable, you can disconnect your the USB cable and reconnect the app with the Kronos through bluetooth.  The Kronos does not have built-in bluetooth device.  You will have to purchase a bluetooth USB dongle or bluetooth wireless MIDI adapter such as Yamaha MD-BT01, Quicco Sound mi.1 for the bluetooth connection.  I prefer bluetooth MIDI adapter because Kronos has only 2 USB 2.0 ports - I use one for a USB flash drive for loading and saving files, and one for the Korg NanoPad2.

The following photo shows an example of using "Kronos Remote" app on an iPad Pro 12.9 in a V-Console setup:

Thanks,
Paul

Bachus

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 11:31:15 AM »
Bachus,

With the use of the iOS app "Kronos Remote", the space between the Genos and Kronos 88-key can be minimized for V-Console configuration, since we can now use the "Kronos Remote" app to choose set lists, combis, and programs on the touchscreen of the iPad instead of Kronos built-in touchscreen.  There is no need to have a huge space between the two keyboards.  Other aspects of Kronos can be dealt with using the Kronos Editor program on PC / Mac.

After you synchronized the "Kronos Remote" app with the set lists, combis, programs etc of your Kronos 88-key via Kronos' To-Host port and Apple Lightning to USB 3.0 camera connection kit with a USB printer cable, you can disconnect your the USB cable and reconnect the app with the Kronos through bluetooth.  The Kronos does not have built-in bluetooth device.  You will have to purchase a bluetooth USB dongle or bluetooth wireless MIDI adapter such as Yamaha MD-BT01, Quicco Sound mi.1 for the bluetooth connection.  I prefer bluetooth MIDI adapter because Kronos has only 2 USB 2.0 ports - I use one for a USB flash drive for loading and saving files, and one for the Korg NanoPad2.

The following photo shows an example of using "Kronos Remote" app on an iPad Pro 12.9 in a V-Console setup:

Thanks,
Paul

There is more then just the screen to the kronos controlls..
The whole controller section is just to good to hide under another keyboard..

Bachus

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 05:04:38 PM »
Anyone else using an 88 key under their Genos..

Looks like the kawai vpc1 might also be a very nice option, espescially in combination with v-comsole
For people that wanta dual keyboard/orga setup with high quallity piano keybed in the lower and Genos just above that..

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 09:34:44 PM »
Bachus
When I was playing my PSR from a 88 key piano, I found it very useful to tilt the PSR up to about 40 degrees. That way the PSR controls (which can be a little high for both the eye and the hands) sit looking right at you. Takes a special kind of support with a lip to hold it in place.
As I pretty much did all my actual playing on the 88 key, the keyboard angle on the PSR never was a problem for fingering. 
Mike

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 12:01:06 AM »
Bachus, I used to play my T5 with the MOX8 on the bottom. In my opinion, it's less about the keyboard combo you're using and more a function of the kind of keyboard stand. I used a Q-Lok stand, and it worked perfectly. The T5 could be angled down slightly but still reveal the entire controller surface of the MOX8 underneath. I now just use the Genos. I don't need the weighted keys, so the Genos is perfect for band work or arranger combo work. The pianos are far superior to the MOX8, especially with the EQ Gold settings offered up recently.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Bachus

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 06:42:35 PM »
Bachus
When I was playing my PSR from a 88 key piano, I found it very useful to tilt the PSR up to about 40 degrees. That way the PSR controls (which can be a little high for both the eye and the hands) sit looking right at you. Takes a special kind of support with a lip to hold it in place.
As I pretty much did all my actual playing on the 88 key, the keyboard angle on the PSR never was a problem for fingering. 
Mike

A normal 2 keyboard setup is just to exhausting on long play sessions, with my hands allways upward..

Thats why i am investing in a keyboardsetup, where the upper key resides just above the lower keys(at max15 degrees angle).. many 88 keys (lower needs to be 88 keys top knotch action) like my Kronos or a Montage becaus of how the interface is fitted..

The cp4 has the controlls all on the front, and the kawai vpc1 doesnt have any controlls at all..  if combined with v-console, the vpc is a very nice choice, its arguably got one of the best keyactions available, but it needs v-console to be fully functional

Offline zionip

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 08:45:23 PM »
Hi Bachus,

No matter which way you choose - to go for V-Console, or 88-key hammer action keyboard with Ketron SD90 module, there are pluses and minuses for each option.

In the case of V-Console setup, I would rather have the Yamaha Genos keyboard placed close to and cover up partially some of the control knobs and sliders of the Korg Kronos 88-key but still am able to use most of its incredible sounds, especially the orchestral sounds from the KApro "Symphonic Dreams" or "Epic Composer Private Collection" sound libraries, than to use a pure 88-key MIDI controller such as Kawai VPC1 with no sounds.  Besides, the RH3 action of the Kronos / Kronos 2 88-key is not bad at all.

With the use of the iOS app "Kronos Remote", I can select Kronos sounds easily when needed to layer on top of the V-Console for Genos sounds.  With the Kawai VPC1 as the lower keyboard of V-Console, we can only use the sounds of Genos, unless it is also hooked up for external sound module or VST.

Thanks,
Paul

Bachus

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 01:14:15 PM »
Hi Bachus,

No matter which way you choose - to go for V-Console, or 88-key hammer action keyboard with Ketron SD90 module, there are pluses and minuses for each option.

In the case of V-Console setup, I would rather have the Yamaha Genos keyboard placed close to and cover up partially some of the control knobs and sliders of the Korg Kronos 88-key but still am able to use most of its incredible sounds, especially the orchestral sounds from the KApro "Symphonic Dreams" or "Epic Composer Private Collection" sound libraries, than to use a pure 88-key MIDI controller such as Kawai VPC1 with no sounds.  Besides, the RH3 action of the Kronos / Kronos 2 88-key is not bad at all.

With the use of the iOS app "Kronos Remote", I can select Kronos sounds easily when needed to layer on top of the V-Console for Genos sounds.  With the Kawai VPC1 as the lower keyboard of V-Console, we can only use the sounds of Genos, unless it is also hooked up for external sound module or VST.

Thanks,
Paul

Thats the point...
It will be hooked up to both mainstage as well as the genos..
I have huge libraries for Mainstage and their VST's
I think over 30k high quallity sounds..
So mostly i would be using VSTs on the 88 key enyway..
I have some incredible orchestral libraries in Kontakt..
So my current kronos is allready mostly used as a controller..

There is so much goodness in the vst's
Like pianoteq and keyscape for piano
And Arturia's V-collection for synths..
And omnisphere for my creativity..

In the end, most important parts of the kronos are karma and the controller part..
And karma still is less usefull to me then my modx arps

I will probably wait till winter namm before making a decision..
There is also another non yamaha related option i am considering..

« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 01:20:24 PM by Bachus »

Bachus

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 10:31:34 PM »
Bachus,

Thanks,
Paul

Paul, been looking at the app today, its €35, but it looks prommissing..
But on the verge of selling the Kronos thats a lot of money to spend..

Could you maybe post a picture of the front of your setup, showing the height between kronos and genos?

Still doubting what to do, except going for genos, thats as good as decided..
Planning to use keystage and audiobus on the ipad to create my own v-console..

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 11:11:14 PM »
On the subject of two keyboards.
My Twinset is T2 + NP30. I can get both close together because the NP30 has muted sound as it's used to trigger the T2 ACC over it's full 76 keys, this leave my T2 full keyboard length to be able to set 3 voice zones.
DGX670

Bachus

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 07:35:21 AM »
On the subject of two keyboards.
My Twinset is T2 + NP30. I can get both close together because the NP30 has muted sound as it's used to trigger the T2 ACC over it's full 76 keys, this leave my T2 full keyboard length to be able to set 3 voice zones.

I guess thats how the trx sets work..
For me having splits and layers on both keybeds is something i want to archieve..
Thats where the v-console, or in my case an ipad with keystage/audiobus comes in.

I will be using the song voices 1 to 8 as the layers/spit on the lower keybed
Saving them as song parts in the performance
Switching them on/off from the touchdisplay of the genos
Or using the genos volume sliders to control them.

On top of that, i can add virtual synth sounds (and others) from the ipad or the kronos to the mix. And even sounds from the mac and my modules.. the ipad will be central in all of this, it will controll the kronos, it will be the screen of the mac, and it will be my sheetmusic reader and more..

And i plan to make youtube tutorials of all of this..