Author Topic: Expanion Pack from Tyros 4 to Tyros 5  (Read 4262 times)

veneman

Expanion Pack from Tyros 4 to Tyros 5
« on: December 15, 2018, 07:08:37 PM »
A good friend has bought quite some time ago a Tyros 4 second hand, including a couple expansion Packs.
To my idea he became a formal owner of the packs on the T4.
Now he wants to buy a Tyros 5 second hand and get the Packs on it.

Is there way to remove and upgrade the T4 packs and install onto the T5.
Can a dealer do this. Should the seller of the T4 take  some action.
Could be the T4 should be registered under the new name, or Yamaha changes the registration to his account?

Any suggestion?

Offline EileenL

Re: Expanion Pack from Tyros 4 to Tyros 5
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 12:36:17 PM »
Yamaha Expansion packs are copy write and will be registered to the original owner. They can't be purchase second hand. Tyros 4 packs have to be converted for Tyros 5 and are re-downloaded from the account on the Yamaha music soft site. They will not work in Tyros 5 because that now uses the YEM programme to load them into the keyboard. A very different system.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 12:40:20 PM by EileenL »

veneman

Re: Expansion Pack from Tyros 4 to Tyros 5
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 01:49:59 PM »
Dear Eileen,

Thanks and compliment. Your answers are always quick and with expertise.
It's sounds as a logical policy of Yamaha.

With friendly regards, 

JaapV

Tyroscope

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 03:35:10 AM »
Hi Eileen,

I am in a similar situation - have Tyros 4 with a few expansions packs (all registered in my name) and looking to buy a new used Tyros 5 in a couple of days :). I will then want to transfer the packs onto Tyros 5 and quickly sell Tyros 4.

The Tyros 5 part seems straightforward - I should re-download the packs from my account on the Yamaha music soft site.

How about the Tyros 4 part - do I have to un-register the packs before I sell Tyros 4?

What would be the exact sequence of events here and will I need to contact Yamaha's support at any point?

I would like to be able to do a quick swap of the instruments over the holidays and would greatly appreciate your thoughts about this.

Thank you!
Alex

Offline DerekA

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 11:08:54 AM »
I bought a couple of expansion packs for my S770 before I traded it for Tyros 5.

Is it true that I can swap those S770 versions for the Tyros versions on the musicsoft site?
Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 12:16:03 PM »
If the 770 packs are in your YEM then they will probably load via YEM into Tyros and should sound OK. You can just delete the voices from there slots on your Tyros 4 as this dose not use YEM for loading. You will also need to remove them if you have the packs stored on your hard drive.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 01:22:53 PM »
If the 770 packs are in your YEM then they will probably load via YEM into Tyros and should sound OK.

Yes, they did. I'm not sure if the Tyros versions are actually any different.

I don't understand why Yamaha sell the Tyros versions at more than double the price though ... the cynic in me says "because they can"
Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 04:38:16 PM »
As the memory on the 770 is quite small you can not have as much content as is on Tyros 5 packs. Hence they are cheaper.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 05:30:50 PM »
As an example - the Entertainer pack: PSR £70, Tyros £199. The 30 new voices are identical, T5 version has some more styles and multipads but surely not £130 worth.

T5 version weighs in at 99MB which is well within the capacity of the S770.

I do think the T5/Genos packs are very heavily priced for what you get. But - before someone else says it - nobody is forcing me to buy them so I will be quiet! :)
Genos