Author Topic: Temporarily changing the bar length of style  (Read 3250 times)

latingate

Temporarily changing the bar length of style
« on: December 14, 2018, 12:39:57 PM »
Is there a way to add a quarter to a bar while playing a style?
What I mean is when playing a 4/4 style - the song changes in few parts to 5/4 for one bar.
Thanks

Offline EileenL

Re: Temporarily changing the bar length of style
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 03:04:59 PM »
You can only do this by selecting a 5/4 style for this bar or use sync stop and play the bar with no style and then come back with your original style.

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 03:51:16 PM »
In these situations, which are not very common, I find that it is best to cheat a little and just make the melody for that bar fit into 4/4. While not strictly correct it’s usually not noticeable.

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 04:39:35 PM »
Try the program from Jorgen : Style Time Editor

http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/stytime/index.htm
Best Regards,
Wim

Seagull29

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 07:25:04 PM »
Hi,
in this regard, did you notice that Yamaha seems to consider that measures to 6/8, 9/8, 7/4 etc .... do not exist in music? However, we can change the time signature of a style with MixMaster, but, frankly, at Yamaha, there must not be many musicians in the designers of these instruments!

Regards
Seagull29

PS/ with the old G70 Roland, we could integrate different time signature in variation !  8) ???

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 12:12:40 PM »
Hi Seagull29

Jorgen : Style Time Editor will do the job. I did use it once the first time I ran into this issue. But I found that it was time consuming to learn and once everything is saved as a new style, if I tried to tweak the style in anyway it would revert the whole timing of all the style parts back to the what the original TIME signature of the style was.

Since then I have found the best and easiest way is to use a REGISTRATION. I create two custom styles placed on my USB stick in order to connect the two style together as one and can easily balance the voices of each style to each other. Works great.

Here is a link to a song I do in gigs alot called "Chicken Fried" by the Zack Brown Band. Near the end of the song (at 3:19), one time the chorus of the tune goes to Reggae and then back to the normal beat.

https://app.box.com/s/vk3xyh0lmvszsh33b753

Regards
Drake
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 12:18:02 PM by DrakeM »

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 12:56:12 PM »
I would use an intro for the (5/4 ) with 1 bar length.
It is not 5/4 timesignature but the tempo will raise  5/4 times the set tempo at 4/4 time signature.
It is not possible to have multiple time signature  in a style.
Best Regards,
Wim