Author Topic: powered speakers for Genos  (Read 10163 times)

jpg

powered speakers for Genos
« on: December 11, 2018, 03:33:25 PM »
I expect to receive my Genos within the next 2 weeks.  Genos speakers MS-01 will not be available until late Summer ??  I only play for my personal enjoyment, for friends at times.  Other than ear phones, which I have, I would like to buy external powered speakers in the waiting .  Don't want to pay mucho $ but decent just the same.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.  Someone mentioned ALTO speakers ?  Thanks in advance.

Offline Al Ram

Re: powered speakers for Genos
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 06:13:01 PM »
You may want to consider Yamaha monitors serie HS.  They start at about $200 each.

like this
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/964750-REG/yamaha_hs5_powered_studio_monitor.html/?ap=y&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiZSPyK-Y3wIVeyCtBh2XpgxJEAYYAiABEgJ3I_D_BwE&smp=Y

I have one a bit bigger and very good sound.

I believe the Genos speakers are at about $400.

I am sure other people will provide other good options.  This will start your list of possible options.

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline acparker

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 11:54:37 AM »
I use a pair of M-Audio BX5 D3.  (https://m-audio.com/bx5d3).  I use them both for home and for our medium sized church, where they are more than powerful enough.

You can find them at Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-BX5-D3-Powered-Reference/dp/B01J66YEU0, for $142.33 each.

Adam

Offline valder

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 02:32:33 AM »
Hello friends
I have little Genos time and I would like to know how to connect 2 Yamaha HS8 monitors and a Sub Woofer active JBL 150p to get a better result
thank you
(translate portuguese to english by google)

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 03:17:49 PM »
FOCAL ALPHA 50's
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

khudson7

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 03:23:53 PM »
You may want to consider Yamaha monitors serie HS.  They start at about $200 each.

like this
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/964750-REG/yamaha_hs5_powered_studio_monitor.html/?ap=y&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiZSPyK-Y3wIVeyCtBh2XpgxJEAYYAiABEgJ3I_D_BwE&smp=Y

I have one a bit bigger and very good sound.

I believe the Genos speakers are at about $400.

I am sure other people will provide other good options.  This will start your list of possible options.

thanks

Hi Al,  I do have the HS 5's and an HS8S subwoofer.  I am very disappointed in the HS5's.  I use Bose earphones and the sound is wonderful from the Genos, but to me, the HS 5's are a bit tinny in some middle registers  of the piano.  I hear others on youtube playing using those speakers made for the Genos and it sounds very good.  I did, however, hear the speakers made for the Genos in the store and they too, did not sound that good.  I believe the sound out of the Genos is excellent because I can hear it in the Bose earphones but can not get the HS5's to sound anywhere near it.  I am also looking for a quality speakers and am looking to replace these HS5's.  Any suggestions?  Thanks, Ken 

Roland

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 05:56:21 PM »
Hello Ken,

It depends on what you want to do with your speakers, meaning: Is it for mixing, mastering or for listening and enjoying the sounds of your keyboard, or for stage performance?

The Yamaha HS5 are very good - but they are designed for near-field reference sound. So you would use them with a DAW for instance to do your mixing and mastering. During that process, you just want to hear "the truth" - which is very different from wanting to hear "nice".

So you need the right speakers for the application. That is why your Bose earphones sound great - they are made to sound "nice" for listening - but they would be not that great for mixing :-)

Cheers, Roland

khudson7

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 01:19:48 PM »
Thanks Roland,
Now I am beginning to better understand how all this works.

I am just using the speakers for enjoyment of playing the Genos and wanted speakers that (as you put it) make the Genos sound nice, like the earphones.  Not using them for mixing or the other things you mentioned. 

Perhaps it is then, that the HS5's are not the best speaker for me, and am wondering if you or anyone could suggest a better speaker for my uses.

Thanks again for your response.
Ken
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 01:28:13 PM by khudson7 »

Offline EB5AGV

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 02:25:04 PM »
Thanks Roland,
Now I am beginning to better understand how all this works.

I am just using the speakers for enjoyment of playing the Genos and wanted speakers that (as you put it) make the Genos sound nice, like the earphones.  Not using them for mixing or the other things you mentioned. 

Perhaps it is then, that the HS5's are not the best speaker for me, and am wondering if you or anyone could suggest a better speaker for my uses.

Thanks again for your response.
Ken

Add some equalisation to your Genos (look for Gold EQ settings on this forum) and you will notice the difference.

I use JBL LSR305 monitors with my Genos and it was a big improvement over standard settings. And it sounds also great on my Beyerdynamic 770 Pro headphones.

Jose
Jose Gavila
Yamaha: U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, SY77, TG77, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, MONTAGE 6 (B & WH), MODX6+, GENOS

Plus lots other music toys :-)

khudson7

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 06:21:01 PM »
Thanks Jose,
Your recommendation was a great help.  By better tuning (and understanding the equalizer) I have gotten a much better sound out of these hs5's speakers.

Please forgive this amateur question, but, I am not sure what the compressor does.  Right now I have it turned off, but, playing around with different settings there, does not seem to do much for the sound.  Could you or anyone help me better understand or direct me to another post that better explains what effect this is suppose to have?

Thanks so much for your help.
Ken

Roland

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 06:53:26 PM »
Hello Ken,

In short: The compressor is a feature that reduces the limit of an audio signal.

There is a nice Wiki article which is not too complicated either - you can find it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression

Why would I use it on a keyboard? If you have a song that has an instrument that "peaks" all others constantly - then you might want to use a compressor - to "put a lid" on that instrument :-) . But in most cases (at least that is what I find) it is better to fix the source. On the other hand, you can use the compressor at times to enhance some drum kit sounds - but now we're getting into mixing and mastering - something that might be a bit more useful when using a DAW.

Hope that helps. Cheers, Roland

Roland

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 07:31:11 PM »
I forgot: There is nothing wrong with either having the compressor on or off - in most cases it's a matter of taste. I don't have a Genos, so I can't verify this; but depending on the type of compressor it uses, it might also boost some lower levels, resulting in a "warmer" sound. So just play with it for a while until you find what sounds best to your ears.

Cheers, Roland

khudson7

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 03:46:09 AM »
Great info, thanks Roland.

Murat

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 12:05:28 PM »
I use Microlab Solo 15. The sound quality is great and the cost of the speakers aren't too bad. This is if you are playing at home or a small venue.

Tyros5Mad

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 07:43:06 PM »
I recently purchased a pair of Adam T7v speakers and a Zoom L-12 mixer. Cost a bit of money but the speakers really sound great and the mixer can record as well so I am very happy.

Regards, Richard