Author Topic: Genos and EQ, Compression  (Read 2290 times)

Offline ugawoga

Genos and EQ, Compression
« on: December 05, 2018, 07:10:25 PM »
Hi

I am fairly new to mixing songs and now starting to get some understanding about Eq, Compression and how It works.
I am still struggling to get what i call a perfect mix near to cd standards.
I do record the Genos with no eq or compression and start to mix in Cubase, but my mix never seems to have the levels and body that the Tyros 5 had.
I think this is because on the Tyros the eq and Compression was set almost like a final master and just required a bit of limiting to get the sound level to a good -3db.
My songs came out bold and bright but on the Genos which Is a superior machine the results are a much lower recording and lacks punch and can sound tinny .This is being very critical though.
I am exagerating to make a point.
To get the Genos to a final mix recording at natural levels requires a lot of knowledge knowing about eq, compression and limiting.
At this moment In time I have almost got my mixes near to a reference track but now have to make small effect moves to get a good mix
I am getting there slowly by starting over and over trying out different ways and  eventually settled firstly on gain staging, and balancing to start with. then set about eq.

I am looking at various videos and reading a recommended book by Mike Senior on the stages of mixing.
My mixes are still under the levels of a radio or pro mixes. Pro mixes seem to have full bodied sound with weight behind it  and sheer clarity.
So It may be possible to get the Genos recording at a higher level by using the right eq and compression to make a quick master i think but I need someone elses take on that.
I think someone said with the right amount of eq and compression which Yamaha knows, recordings can be made to a high standard instantly.
Anyway It is all fun and games and trying to learn this art is quite difficult and I am sure the pros hide the best secrets.

All the best
John :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 07:13:22 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox