Author Topic: Fingering vs the Freeze Button  (Read 6764 times)

Gordon1949

Fingering vs the Freeze Button
« on: December 03, 2018, 05:36:39 AM »
I set up my registrations for sounds on the Genos so that, if I turn on the freeze function, the freeze holds the style, tempo, split point, accompaniment, vocal harmony settings, etc if I switch registrations to change from, for example, piano to organ.

What I want to do is apply A1 Full Keyboard fingering to my piano registration, and A1 Fingered to my other registrations. If I leave the freeze function off, then there is no problem, but once I turn on the freeze, the fingering setting holds from one registration to the next.  I do not have fingering checked on the utility-parameter lock screen so I don’t know why the fingering holds when the freeze is turned on. 

I assigned the fingering/split page to one of the screen buttons so that is one way to get around it, but when I am performing at a gig and in the middle of a song, it is a little cumbersome to have to press a button to get to a subscreen and then press the + or - buttons to change the fingering.

Does anyone have a less cumbersome solution?

Offline mikf

Re: Fingering vs the Freeze Button
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 06:50:08 AM »
It might be better to take fingering out of your general registrations and have two set up registrations just for your fingering settings. This is what I do.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 12:00:47 PM »
once I turn on the freeze, the fingering setting holds from one registration to the next.  I do not have fingering checked on the utility-parameter lock screen so I don’t know why the fingering holds when the freeze is turned on. 

'Fingering Type' is part of the 'Style' group in registrations, so if you have 'Style' included in the Freeze list, turning on the Freeze button will freeze the fingering too.

Regards

Ian

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 12:55:21 PM »
Why freeze at all?

Why not create your registrations properly so they contain only what you want in each one?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Gordon1949

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 01:51:50 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I think tyrosaurus answered my question perfectly. I didn’t know that freezing the style also freezes the fingering.  I think Yamaha should have kept the style and fingering functions as separate categories on the Registration Freeze screen.  Maybe they will do that in a future firmware update, but I won’t hold my breath for that.

Per the other replies, I tried saving the fingering to registrations, but putting on the freeze negates that.  I use registrations for voices so that I can choose many voices per style dependng on the song I am performing at the time.  I guess I would have to make registrations based on styles rather than voices, but I probably use dozens of styles during a gig with various combinations of sounds depending on the song.

As I said above, tyrosaurus explained it so unless Yamaha makes an update addressing this issue, I will continue using an assignable button to switch fingering.  Thanks to all of you for your replies.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 03:22:35 PM »
There is a 'trick' which allows you to save the Style group in registrations (and therefore include settings such as Fingering Type), such that when the registration is selected later it will not change the style from the currently loaded one, even without freezing the Style.

This method works on my Tyros4, and the Genos Data List suggests that it may work for Genos too, although it might not allow you to lock/freeze all the other settings that you want.  However it might be worth investigating to see if it can achieve what you want.

It works by using a style in each registration which the OS can't find when you later use it.  This simply leaves the currently loaded style loaded and playing, but does change some parameters included in the registration contents Style group, including the Fingering Type.

For each registration that you want to set up like this you load a user style that you later make unavailable to the keyboard.  You can either change it's name or storage location, but I find that a simple, reliable way is to copy a style to a USB drive that you won't normally have plugged into the keyboard.  This will allow you to select the style from that USB to make the registration, but then remove that USB device so that normally there is no chance of the OS finding the style. 

When making the registrations, you can connect the USB containing the 'dummy' style to select it for each reg. that you want to memorise including the Style group, but not actually change the style.  You can set the Fingering Type differently for each one if you want, and when you actually use such registrations, it should change even though the Style remains unchanged if the keyboard can't find the style.

Note that you must not have Fingering Type set in Parameter Lock for this to work, because this will override everything else except manually changing it!  Also do not set Style in the freeze group list.   Unless you want to freeze parameters in other freeze groups, you can leave the Freeze button off. 

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 03:27:24 PM by tyrosaurus »

Gordon1949

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 02:55:04 AM »
I think I figured out another work around. I have been basing my banks on voices.  If I instead set up separate banks for each style, I could save up to 10 voices in each bank for a style. My banks would then be style-based rather than voice-based.  If I then leave the style unchecked on the Registration Freeze screen, changing the voice within the bank would allow me to have different fingerings for each registration in the bank.  I tested it, and it works, but now that means I have to redo all of my registrations and set up separate banks for each style I use which numbers over 50. 

Might be easier for me just to do what I have been doing all along and designate the split & fingering to an assignable home shortcut and then press the + or - button to switch back and forth between A1 Full Keyboard and A1 Fingered. Again, thanks for your suggestion.

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 05:51:01 AM »
Gordon
Seems incredibly complicated. Why would you save a style as a full registration bank when they are already stored as style files? Surely just as easy to call up a style file as a registration?

Gordon1949

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 02:28:03 PM »
I only mentioned style banks so that the freeze function (without style checked) would allow fingering changes by registrations. I know it would be cumbersome to set up so that is why I will just stay with the voice registrations and use the assignable button to access fingering.