Author Topic: Which would you have?  (Read 4617 times)

Offline Fred Smith

Which would you have?
« on: November 26, 2018, 11:30:47 AM »
Disregarding price. Which is the better keyboard  - the S970 or the S775?. I am asking for a friend who does not particularly care about the vocal harmony and has only been playing for 2 years.Cheers . Jean.

Well, it depends on what your friend actually does care about. That’s what you would need to find out, before a recommendation has any value.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Aussiejean

Which would you have?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 03:56:51 PM »
Disregarding price, which is the better keyboard the S970 or the S775.? I have a friend asking my advice. She plays my S970 and is upgrading from a E453 and is familiar with all features. Although the 775 is a newer model, is it a better buy than the 970. Both are new and she has a choice. I think the 775 has a vocal harmony, but she is not a singer and would not use it. I have always had the S9 range and know nothing about the S7 range. The S970 is quite a lot dearer than the S775. Thank you  Jean.

s970

Offline mikf

Re: Which would you have?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 05:00:43 PM »
They are broadly similar keyboards, but the 9 series has more features. The 7 series is a kind of 'cut down' 9 series, but still excellent keyboard. However, I should point out that the true comparison would be S975 to S775. Gets a little harder when you compare an older model, S970 to a new model S775. mY guess is that the store is getting rid of the 970 at a decent price because the S975. A detailed review of the features would be needed to see if any of the missing features matter enough to her to pay out the extra. Its hard for us to say what matters and doesn't matter to someone else, but both are good keyboards. But I would also look at the S975, because that us the latest and greatest in the range.

Mike

The following users thanked this post: Pigletboy

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 08:16:44 PM »
I tried to merge this duplicate topic but didn't realize that the post in the other subforum was from a few hours earlier, so it looks like Fred answered Jean's question before she asked it. Sorry about that! I felt that this subforum (Yamaha Keyboards - General) was a better fit than the other one (The Next Yamaha Keyboard), so I tried to merge the posts into this version of the thread. It didn't go quite as planned, so next time I'll leave well enough alone. :(
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 08:17:52 PM by SeaGtGruff »

Aussiejean

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 09:40:37 AM »
Thanks Mike for your advice. Actually the 970 was the dearer model at $2000 Aud and the 775 was $1400 Aud, so I thought the 970 must be the better model, despite the age difference. I have the 970 and I play it through a Bose Compact and really love it. I have read all the posts concerning the two keyboards and gathered that the speakers are better on the 9s than the 7s. The budget is fixed so it is one of these two.Whichever one she chooses, I know she will be very happy. Thank you all for the wonderful forum, I have had years of enjoyment from it. Now I am 90, and I wonder how many ninety year olds are still tuning in?Cheers. Jean Olivia.

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 01:48:02 PM »
If your friend isn't going to need the Vocal Harmonizer to sing and wants to just sit and play the keyboard, then the 775 is the one to purchase. Why with just a bit of the savings made she can purchase one or two of the USB sticks from the PSR store and have thousands more styles to use with the newer keyboard.  ;)

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 02:23:25 PM »
Jean
I think the 775 has the vocal harmonizer anyway but you are correct that despite slight age difference, 970 may be the better overall keyboard. However, I would have thought the 975 would be available for under 2000USD, but I am not sure about Australian pricing.
Congratulations on still keeping playing at 90, apart from the fun of making music, I am sure it has great benefits on retaining your dexterity and mental sharpness.
Mike

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 02:31:12 PM »
There are many members here that at least are in their eighties! Music keeps us young😀😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Aussiejean

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 04:32:01 AM »
Just to finish off. Annie bought a 970 so now the 3 of us all have the same keyboard. Happy Christmas to all members. Cheers. Jean.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 08:42:50 AM »
Good choice! S970 here also😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline hans1966

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 04:18:11 PM »
Hello Mikf, a small correction.  the S775, has equalizer and effects for microphone, but does not include the vocal harmonizer. Greetings. Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"