Author Topic: Firmware Updates  (Read 2666 times)

Redland

Firmware Updates
« on: November 26, 2018, 01:50:23 PM »
Hi
I do hope I am using the forum correctly! As a new Genos user (5 days) I am still finding my way around the more technical aspects of the instrument. Loving the voices, styles, etc. but have a question on the firmware. I currently have the out of the box version, I think it's 1.0. My question is can I update to the current version of 1.3 straight from 1.0 and will it make any difference if I don't bother to update. everything seems to be working correctly so am I missing the point if I don't do this.
All replies welcome and thank you in advance.

Offline BenoitM

Re: Firmware Updates
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 02:06:36 PM »
Yes you can update from v1.0 to v1.3 directly.

I would advise to update to 1.30 even if you didn't noticed anything wrong, because there were a lot of bugfixes between 1.0 and 1.30 …

I recall having seen something about corrupt registration memory... and I personally encountered a 'stuck notes' bug a few times with the v1.02 firmware...

But even with a 1.30 firmware, there's still many bugs (though mostly unnoticed by a lot of people , since we all use different features of the same arranger  ;) ).

Be aware that between v 1.02 (my Genos was a 1.02 when bought) and v1.10 , they strangely removed a very useful feature concerning DSP Parameters (you'll notice it if you assign multiple DSPs on the same channel , in v1.02 there were a 'bolt' button near each assigned DSP, but it was removed starting from the 1.10 firmware ...  >:(   Workaround exists, but it is still only workaround.... )

Redland

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 04:00:31 PM »
Thank you for your reply and advice, I will update soon.

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 04:26:56 PM »
I have a question about Firmware Updates,

I recently updated someone's PSR 970

I got a call from that person yesterday.
Saying that his velocity for the style was affected.

Can Firmware Updates effect any Settings??
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline BenoitM

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 08:15:38 AM »
I really don't know if a firmware update can alter some settings, but if Yamaha recommends to Backup everything before applying an update... it's a good indicator that something could go wrong  :P

Perhaps the 'Touch sensitivity' was reset by the upgrade ?

I don't own a PSR S97 so I really don't know if the PSR has a setting for the Style sound volume linked to the touch sensitivity (the Genos has such a setting, but it is disabled by default, so no matter how hard you it the keys, the style volume is constant… it can be useful for some people i guess…). Perhaps the new firmware set a new default value for one of the settings ? it's only speculation, of course…