Author Topic: PSR S975 Keyboard  (Read 4239 times)

Offline Sharon

PSR S975 Keyboard
« on: November 25, 2018, 06:23:39 PM »
Hi, I'm new here, and just wondered if someone could give me some help.

I'm a totally blind person, and currently have a Yamaha Genos keyboard.  I'm not getting on well with it, due to the touch screen, so want to change to one I can use.  I've been looking at the PSR S975 and would like to know if this is all buttons, no touch screen, and also is it a good instrument. 

Many thanks for any assistance.

Sharon

Offline hammer

Re: PSR S975 Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 06:33:40 PM »
Hi Sharon,
I do own a PSR S975 and I don't believe it would suit your well.  My suggestion would be to try and find a well cared for Tyros 4.  You can call Frank at Audioworks 203-876-1133 and he will give you really good advice.

Deane

The following users thanked this post: Sharon

Offline Sharon

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 06:44:01 PM »
Hi, and many thanks for your advice.  I'll certainly consider a tyros, they do sound a very nice instrument.

DonM

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 06:53:49 PM »
This was on Synthzone.
"for sale Tyros 4
call (906)246-3650
I live in Michigan"

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 07:40:53 PM »
Hello Sharon. I too have very little eyesight, and I use an S970, that operates the same way as the S975.
Before you make any decision regarding your Genos, note that if you have the newest firmware update of it, you have voice assistance. It has to be activated, and you may need help to go into the menu and do that. When activated, the voice assistance will function like VoiceOver on the iPhone. BUT, since I do not have a Genos I cannot say how good it is. Hopefully it will be developed by Yamaha to become even better in later updates.
The Tyros and PSR keyboard have no such features. BUT, they have buttons, and can therefore be navigated without using the screen. I know this, because this was how I operated my old keyboard. I never fiddled with the menu, just took it out of its box, found out what the buttons did and listened to the internal styles. Than I made myself a papar (with BIG letters, where I wrote down what buttons to press to get this and that style.
All this is possible on all Tyros and PSRs. The Tyros 4 is a much bigger instrument, and may have better buttons. But if portabillity is important to you, then choose a PSR model. The buttons are smaller, but distinct, and easy to find when you get the hang of it. BUT; DO NOT DO ANYTINIG BEFORE YOU HAVE TESTED OUT THE VOICE ASSISTANCE ON GENOS!!

Please let me know how this turns out.

Good luck! I know what you are struggling with!

Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 12:24:40 AM »
With voice guide as you touch the screen it  tell you what is selected. The same with the buttons. You need to download the programme from the Yamaha site onto an empty formatted USB drive. As soon as you put the stick into your keyboard it will tell you what you are doing.

The following users thanked this post: Sharon

Offline Sharon

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 11:14:41 AM »
Hi, and thanks to all for your advice.

I do use speech with Genos, but unfortunately it is only good for the voice selection and style selection.  I cannot access any menus with it, access my midi, or record and save my songs, which is what I would like to do.  I will certainly give the Tyros a go, or the PSR series.  I think I'd be better off with buttons.  It's just a shame the speech isn't as good as an I Phone.  I'm toally blind and have even tried to scan my screen with my phone but it is no good.  I'll keep you posted as to how I get on.