Author Topic: Next update to Genos  (Read 33254 times)

Re: Next update to Genos
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2018, 09:34:04 PM »
Its obvious Montage is more aimed at the US market. Where Genos is more a European thing..
Agreed, Bachus. That explains why our Montage players in Canada get there's almost the same day the Montage is released, whereas, our Genos players wait for ages to receive even a few into the country. I won't comment on how rude the Yamaha rep was with me on the phone when I simply asked what the delay was... >:(.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2018, 04:44:48 PM »
"I won't comment on how rude the Yamaha rep was with me on the phone when I simply asked what the delay was... >:(."

Hi Lee,
is it not strange how things have changed.  I very much miss the time when I taught my salesmen our company rules.

Rule 1    The Customer is always right
Rule 2    In Case the Customer is Wrong rule 1 applies

The YAMAHA importer for Finland is the exception that proves the rule. During the painful 6 months we were sorting out the problems with my Genos  (thanks Lee for the help you gave me) they never claimed there were no problems. And  except a few minor ones they were solved. They exchanges my Genos. Which incidentally was your recommendation  :)

Cheers

Kaarlo

« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2018, 05:50:34 PM »
Glad to have been of help, Kaarlo. I agree about the business attitude these days. Gone are the days when companies worked with clients. Today the attitude is, "We have your money, so put up with our substandard garbage."

Yamaha of course doesn't fall into that category at all. I've had very positive dealings with their head office. It's really only been the one rude person who I think should NOT work for Yamaha.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Ingar

« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2018, 02:23:27 PM »
It's been a very long time since YAMAHA has updated the Genos.  What should Yamaha release for updates?  Lloyd

I do not think there will be an update unless an error is detected, or something is not working properly.

Ingar

Offline EileenL

« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2018, 02:31:34 PM »
Yes Ingar you are probably right as updates are to put faults right and not to add things that are not there to start with.

Bachus

« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2018, 05:55:06 PM »
Yes Ingar you are probably right as updates are to put faults right and not to add things that are not there to start with.

So you state that the Montage that gets continous updates all the time is still full of faults? And mus have been the worst product ever released with all those major updates and new features it got?

If there is another explanation for all those Montage updates over time, please tell me..

Seagull29

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2018, 07:08:20 PM »
Hi,
In my opinion, the Genos does not sell as expected after some madness due to the expectation of this so-called revolutionary model at the beginning, so Yamaha may not be wanting to go further for the moment on this model. In any case, the Yamaha updates have never brought new features, at least on the keyboards arranger!

Regards
Seagull29

« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2018, 08:28:59 PM »
Bachus makes an interesting point. Montage updates can't be all bug fixes. Yamaha is giving Montage users extra tools and features, I'm sure. I used to own a Motif ES7 and there were plenty of neat tools developed for it - all free of charge.

Yamaha still treats us arranger folks as a bunch of rank amateurs who play with a leisurely style, despite the fact it's a great keyboard and very stage worthy. If I were disappointed in anything with my Genos, it's the repetitive styles from the Tyros series. I was hoping for more uniqueness in this area - not just a bunch of re-worked styles that I have been using since my Tyros 2 days. Yes, the sound is better, but the styles haven't changed all that much. More emphasis has been placed on electronic and dance styles - something I could care less about. Time to start creating my own, but that's no easy task!!

Offline EileenL

« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2018, 12:04:38 AM »
We are not talking about Montage which probably dose
not sell as well as Genos so is given little sweeteners and is an entirely different animal. I believe Genos has been the best selling keyboard so far and I don't know many people that have not changed there Tyros keyboards for it. It is great for gigging or just sitting at home playing.

Paolo82

« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2018, 03:54:36 PM »
Hello,

when is the update for genos with additional functions? In my genos I miss: more memory for expansion pack and creator song, full edition of drums in midi-song, such edition is in korgu pa4x, yamaha, why is there no such edition? can we count on more memory for expansion pack as well as edits of the drums?

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2018, 04:00:57 PM »
when is the update for genos with additional functions? In my genos I miss: more memory for expansion pack and creator song, full edition of drums in midi-song, such edition is in korgu pa4x, yamaha, why is there no such edition? can we count on more memory for expansion pack as well as edits of the drums?

When? You need to ask Yamaha.
What will be included? You need to ask Yamaha.

Your best plan: Assume none of your requested improvements will ever be made available.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Bachus

« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2018, 06:22:56 PM »
Hello,

They can add only functions in software
Adding more memmory for expansions would be a hardware change..

More onboard edditing is allways a good thing.

Offline EB5AGV

« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2018, 06:45:18 PM »
There is a preliminary date already given, with limit on Musikmesse 2019

Let's see what they offer!

Jose
Jose Gavila
Yamaha: U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, SY77, TG77, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, MONTAGE 6 (B & WH), MODX6+, GENOS

Plus lots other music toys :-)

« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2018, 07:51:47 PM »
Hello everyone,

According to a Yamaha distributor, a major update of Genos would be announced for February 2019.

Best regards

Jean-Pierre 33

Seagull29

« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2018, 08:42:29 PM »
Hi,
If it is the same ilk that the so-called revolution was to be the Genos, we can doubt the importance of updating! And it is not a basic distributor who is in the secret of the gods!

Regards
Seagull29

EDIT: Here is what Yamaha said about T5:
" The Power of Reality

Superb sound and powerful functionality provide performance you can believe in.

In Tyros5 Yamaha has created the ultimate performance keyboard, with outstanding sounds, enhanced DSP effects, and accompaniment Styles so real it's like being backed by the world’s finest musicians. The Tyros5 brings a level of authenticity like no instrument before it. "

Just a question: Where is reality in Genos ? 8) 8) 8) 8) ???

As we say in France: "Bla ! Bla ! Bla ! "
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 10:26:51 PM by Seagull29 »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2018, 10:45:42 PM »
The quality of the sound, styles and operation of Genos is greatly improved from the tyros 5.

Take note I am not saying that Tyros 5 is not a very good keyboard because it is.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2018, 10:54:55 PM »
Hi,
If it is the same ilk that the so-called revolution was to be the Genos, we can doubt the importance of updating! And it is not a basic distributor who is in the secret of the gods!

Regards
Seagull29

EDIT: Here is what Yamaha said about T5:
" The Power of Reality

Superb sound and powerful functionality provide performance you can believe in.

In Tyros5 Yamaha has created the ultimate performance keyboard, with outstanding sounds, enhanced DSP effects, and accompaniment Styles so real it's like being backed by the world’s finest musicians. The Tyros5 brings a level of authenticity like no instrument before it. "

Just a question: Where is reality in Genos ? 8) 8) 8) 8) ???

As we say in France: "Bla ! Bla ! Bla ! "

What’s your point?

In its day, the T5 was Yamaha's best keyboard, but it has been superseded by the Genos, just as the T5 superseded the T4.

I don’t see Yamaha doing anything differently from what they did before.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline mikf

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2018, 03:20:10 AM »
Hi,
In my opinion, the Genos does not sell as expected .......

Based on what?? Yamaha keeps this kind of information pretty tight, but anything I have seen indicated it sold very well.

« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2018, 08:29:34 AM »
Hello,

The content of the supposed update is not clearly known, but if the dealer says true there may be a function "chord sequence" and more.
To be continued...

Best regards

Jean-Pierre 33

« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2018, 08:29:53 AM »
Hello,

The content of the supposed update is not clearly known, but if the dealer says true there may be a function "chord sequence" and more.
To be continued...

Best regards

Jean-Pierre 33

Offline valimaties

« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2018, 08:33:49 AM »
I agree with Fred.
It's something normal that every keyboard manufacturer to tell about its last model of keyboard that is the best, because he put in it new hardware, new software (DSPs, VH, voices, styles, etc).
Technology itself increase year by year, its normal that every manufacturer to use hardware newer than previews release.
We all know what happens from Tyros to Tyros2, from Tyros 2 to Tyros3, T3 to T4 and so on...
Genos has its new features, new look, new hardware, new SOUND. Its normal that Genos is over Tyros 5, by all features they released in this model.

In my opinion, Genos is the best from Yamaha's arrangers.
(Genos 2 will be, of course, better than Genos  ;D )

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2018, 11:20:06 AM »
Hello,

To be continued...

Best regards

Jean-Pierre 33
I hope "Audio Chord Sequence"... ..... :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 11:21:15 AM by Sokratis1974 »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2018, 11:42:53 AM »
Why would we need that. You can sequence in midi and then play into the audio recorder now.

Seagull29

« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2018, 12:23:50 PM »
Why would we need that. You can sequence in midi and then play into the audio recorder now.
Hi,
because you can make it with real time and do not have to prepare it before ! The Pa4X can do it and it's really handy for the inspiration of the moment. Just a question of reactivity and spontaneity!

Regards
Seagull29

« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2018, 12:32:29 PM »
Dear EileenL
first of all I need to make it clear that we are talking about guesses not facts,you might not have realised what I meant.
If something like what I said were to become reality which I cannot predict,we are talking available audio tracks in styles/audio styles which means that we can have real audio tracks with audio guitars and all that can think of inside of the style following the chord changes.
I repeat it's just a thought I had.
However these Yamaha campaign videos before the release of Genos get my my imagination running.
1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSJhKv1ZGIk
2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHdbmEGyyNg
3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWLkgGZpJWE
And more....
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 12:42:13 PM by Sokratis1974 »

Offline valimaties

« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2018, 12:44:14 PM »
Hi,
because you can make it with real time and do not have to prepare it before ! The Pa4X can do it and it's really handy for the inspiration of the moment. Just a question of reactivity and spontaneity!

Regards
Seagull29

Yes, indeed. Korg PA4X (and PA3X, also) has a real-time chord sequence. How can you use this feature?! Simple: Imagine you have to play a song repeatedly, for some reasons. It is easily to press record button (Korg has two buttons combination) and all you sing from that moment, all your chord progression is recorded until you press play button. When you press play button, the recording process will stop and automatically will start playing your chord progression. It is easy for you to make some things more, as long as you don't care at that time too much about chord progression... All those things are happening in real-time.
There are a lot of things that happening in realtime on Korg: Style settings can be stored/saved in the same time you sing, also voice settings, performances (our registrations) etc. There are a lot of parameters that Korg saves them in realtime, no mather what you do in that time.

I think Korg uses some of snapshots of the files used (voice parameters, style, performance parameters, etc). As when you modify the parameters, you modify to the snapshot which you are able to save to original file, because original file is not in use. As a programmer, this is the way I should make it!
Or, there might be another way, of saving all modified parameters to a temporary path, and when you change the style, or voices, or anything else which is right now in use, those files could be replaced by the modified ones by a background process. This is another approach, but the first I think is more reliable!

Regards,
Vali
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 12:45:23 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Bachus

« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2018, 01:09:30 PM »
Yes, indeed. Korg PA4X (and PA3X, also) has a real-time chord sequence. How can you use this feature?! Simple: Imagine you have to play a song repeatedly, for some reasons. It is easily to press record button (Korg has two buttons combination) and all you sing from that moment, all your chord progression is recorded until you press play button. When you press play button, the recording process will stop and automatically will start playing your chord progression. It is easy for you to make some things more, as long as you don't care at that time too much about chord progression... All those things are happening in real-time.
There are a lot of things that happening in realtime on Korg: Style settings can be stored/saved in the same time you sing, also voice settings, performances (our registrations) etc. There are a lot of parameters that Korg saves them in realtime, no mather what you do in that time.

I think Korg uses some of snapshots of the files used (voice parameters, style, performance parameters, etc). As when you modify the parameters, you modify to the snapshot which you are able to save to original file, because original file is not in use. As a programmer, this is the way I should make it!
Or, there might be another way, of saving all modified parameters to a temporary path, and when you change the style, or voices, or anything else which is right now in use, those files could be replaced by the modified ones by a background process. This is another approach, but the first I think is more reliable!

Regards,
Vali

There are a lot of things Korg does better...

But here we are at a Genos Forum, indicating we have at least an interest in the Genos.
And thats because we tend to forget that Genos also does a huge amount of things very good, and many of them better then on a pa4x..

I have written a long list of things that could or actually should have been part of the Genos in the first place espescially since the Genos is marketed as a workstation. But i don't think the European team has any intention of adding new major features. They will probably save them vor Genos2 in about 4 years or even Genos 3 in 10 years.

If you want to use a chord sequence inside the Genos thats possible, just record a single track, set markers in the midi file and loop it, while using it as input for the chords detection of the arranger.. less traightforward then on the pa4x, but it works just as well.. i dont think many people record these in real time, and prefer before using

Offline valimaties

« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2018, 03:10:30 PM »
Bachus, I wrote about some things Korg does them in REAL TIME. I know I can do this at home, to PC, etc, but I speak about some things that should be done in real time, without recording home, without stopping playback of a style, without stopping midi playback, etc... There could be settings that you could reach in real time, that make sound amazing (DSPs, for example). You cannot save the registration, because when you change the bank (if you want to load a record from playlist, or simply want to change the registration bank) the keyboard ask you if you really want to save the registration bank (which, although, is a good job) but in my opinion, saving in realtime, without stopping playback process of style, is the most beautiful thing that might happening with our workstation.

But, as you said, European guys from Yamaha Team, I also thing they will reserve these "next features" for the next release of Genos, as New features of a new keyboard. Which is not a good thing for us.

I know these are discussions which start polemics , so I will stop here.
I know what I want to view on Genos next firmware update, IF it will be one. In the same time, I know that will be 1% of reality, because Yamaha is very "greedy" in new "really and helpful" features :D

Best regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

keynote

« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2018, 05:27:31 PM »
I sent an email to Yamaha with the audio example below of the glitch I was experiencing with a Genos preset Country style. Yamaha wrote back after I emailed them again asking why they hadn't responded to my original email. Yamaha support said they didn't receive the attachment audio example which I did in fact attach to the email I sent them. So I went ahead and sent the attachment again this time as an .mp3 file. I still haven't heard back from Yamaha so here is my theory as to why Yamaha is ignoring the problem. >>> NO MORE OS UPDATES FOR GENOS >>> PERIOD! Yamaha Japan perhaps has instructed tech support personnel that Genos support has officially ended and whatever bugs or glitches remain, will unfortunately remain indefinitely?? I realize that Genos bugs and glitches have been mostly solved but I have proof that at least one still remains.

Yamaha got the audio example I attached to the email I sent to them no doubt. I sent it twice. Once as a .wav file and the second time as an .mp3 file. So why no follow up from Yamaha? I realize this is the holiday season and they are likely very busy preparing for winter NAMM, etc. But it's been close to three weeks and not a peep. Perhaps I am being too cynical but I can't think of any good reason why Yamaha is shining me on other than the glitch I am experiencing will never be looked at or solved? I've had my Genos for over a year now so it's out of warranty by the manufacturer and perhaps that's the reason they no longer respond to my emails? That doesn't inspire very much confidence in Yamaha as a company if indeed that is the reason they don't respond i.e. because the warranty has expired on my Genos.

Okay, so I have officially resigned myself that there will be no more OS updates for the Genos. Now if Yamaha comes out with a new OS update I will be just as thrilled as everyone else but as of now I am accepting the overwhelming probability there won't be any more updates. Be that as it may I still enjoy my Genos for what it is and we'll just have to wait for Genos 2 to see what it has to offer... in about 3 or 4 years. ;)

PS: I attached the audio example below of the glitch I experience with one of the preset Country styles. I posted it previously but I thought I would post it again in case some of you haven't heard it.

Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bachus

« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2018, 08:33:25 PM »
I sent an email to Yamaha with the audio example below of the glitch I was experiencing with a Genos preset Country style. Yamaha wrote back after I emailed them again asking why they hadn't responded to my original email. Yamaha support said they didn't receive the attachment audio example which I did in fact attach to the email I sent them. So I went ahead and sent the attachment again this time as an .mp3 file. I still haven't heard back from Yamaha so here is my theory as to why Yamaha is ignoring the problem. >>> NO MORE OS UPDATES FOR GENOS >>> PERIOD! Yamaha Japan perhaps has instructed tech support personnel that Genos support has officially ended and whatever bugs or glitches remain, will unfortunately remain indefinitely?? I realize that Genos bugs and glitches have been mostly solved but I have proof that at least one still remains.

Yamaha got the audio example I attached to the email I sent to them no doubt. I sent it twice. Once as a .wav file and the second time as an .mp3 file. So why no follow up from Yamaha? I realize this is the holiday season and they are likely very busy preparing for winter NAMM, etc. But it's been close to three weeks and not a peep. Perhaps I am being too cynical but I can't think of any good reason why Yamaha is shining me on other than the glitch I am experiencing will never be looked at or solved? I've had my Genos for over a year now so it's out of warranty by the manufacturer and perhaps that's the reason they no longer respond to my emails? That doesn't inspire very much confidence in Yamaha as a company if indeed that is the reason they don't respond i.e. because the warranty has expired on my Genos.

Okay, so I have officially resigned myself that there will be no more OS updates for the Genos. Now if Yamaha comes out with a new OS update I will be just as thrilled as everyone else but as of now I am accepting the overwhelming probability there won't be any more updates. Be that as it may I still enjoy my Genos for what it is and we'll just have to wait for Genos 2 to see what it has to offer... in about 3 or 4 years. ;)

PS: I attached the audio example below of the glitch I experience with one of the preset Country styles. I posted it previously but I thought I would post it again in case some of you haven't heard it.

Mike

I think you might be jumping to the wrong conclusions..

« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2018, 10:10:31 PM »
Mike a heard that odd sound at 45 seconds. You should be able to isolate it in the Mixer. Please do so and tell us what instrument is creating that odd flute sound. Meanwhile, I'll play that style on my Genos with the exact chord progression and see if it happens on mine. If not, it isn't likely an OS issue. Later...

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2018, 12:26:25 AM »
Hi
I would like to see which is a must .Yamaha to get the saving of mixer settings expanded.

You cannot save mixer settings if you have ran out of slider moves, so more complex songs are harder to get around as you have to do things manually.
Well Lee ,I am still mixing and going over it a 1000 times and  getting there little by little each day.
Even with Yamaha sounds , you have to eq them separately to stop bass clashing with drums ,especially the modern stuff where there are bass kicks.
I have been referencing Jarre's sounds and getting pretty close. I like Hornet's  Auto gain staging plugin which you send to all group channels. Makes a great start and saves loads of time.
It is just a matter of getting all those eq's right and slight compression, then the sky is on the limiter!! ;D
The pray it sounds good on all speaker systems.
Oh No!! I have got to learn mastering next!!! :-\ :)

All the best
John :) 8)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 12:36:30 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2018, 01:30:41 AM »
John, one idea is to post what you have so far. By doing so, a lot of people could give you constructive feedback on how your recordings sound on literally dozens of systems. All you need to do is look for common denominators that people think don't work and those that do work. Post the wave forms you have so far.

A good friend of mine is a retired speaker designer. He has won awards for his creations. He uses a computer for modeling his speaker designs, but sometimes the designs that look perfect on the computer prediction model, sound like crap in the real world! The computer algorithm has yet to be written that can replace the human ear. In other words, the human ear is the REAL test. I think its valuable to use the computer for the raw editing, and then use the human ear for the final copy :).

Are we off topic here?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 01:32:27 AM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline valimaties

« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2018, 08:00:05 AM »
Are we off topic here?

I've start reading the last topics and I had the feeling I am on another thread. And I looked again to the title, and I am on the right thread, only posts goes to other discussion  ;D ;D

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Bachus

« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2018, 09:22:54 AM »
I've start reading the last topics and I had the feeling I am on another thread. And I looked again to the title, and I am on the right thread, only posts goes to other discussion  ;D ;D

Regards,
Vali

Then back on track....

When will the next upgrade be?
Will it contain new content/functionallity or just bug fixes?

I think that rounds up the realistic questions.

On a deeper level, what functionallity is desperately missing to make Genos your perfect arranger.
Assuming, you allready think the Genos is allready todays best option.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2018, 02:49:12 PM »
Usually Yamaha will correct any function that is not working correctly or had something left of. For instance when grooving a style there is no select All there and this may possibly mean adding a new page.

Offline PierreSW

« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2018, 04:27:33 PM »
Usually Yamaha will correct any function that is not working correctly or had something left of. For instance when grooving a style there is no select All there and this may possibly mean adding a new page.

Same goes for Boost/Cut, All is missing in that part too, and many other things that were found in tyros 5.
The midi part: that you have to load the file every single time when editing, that's crazy. is it user-friendly?
No way according to me. reprogram and do it right.

Merry Christmas everyone.

// Pierre
YAMAHA Genos 2, YAMAHA MFC10, Bose L1 II-pa,Mixer T1 ToneMatch, ZUM STEEL.

Bouncingogre

« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2018, 10:08:25 PM »
Everything is fine ? I can't agree…   ???
There's a lot of discussion on this forum about bugs on the Genos…
See my post : https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,47387.msg372061.html#msg372061

If you are happy with this on a +4000€ keyboard, that's fine, we are all using it in a different way, but the fact that everything is fine for you doesn't mean that it is fine for everyone. The fact that several people are not completely satisfied with their Genos is understandable, and not simply a 'hill vs mountain' problem…

A new Genos firmware is definitely needed to correct those bugs. Waiting for a Genos II is not an option, Yamaha's policy is really strange… As a customer I really wonder what are they thinking ???  :-X

Benoit

They aren't thinking anything. It's become the Yamaha Achilles Heel.
Bring out an instrument at a high price with as much hype as possible, and then dump all support for it almost overnight.
It's overpriced and overhyped for use as an arranger. It's not an arranger, just a fancy keyboard. My Tyros 1 knocks the spots off it.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2018, 10:56:11 PM »
Well after having my Genos for over a year I would certainly never want to go back to my Tyros 1. Things have moved on a lot since those days.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2018, 11:05:44 PM »
Well after having my Genos for over a year I would certainly never want to go back to my Tyros 1. Things have moved on a lot since those days.

Same in my case  ;D ;D ;D

The comparison which was unintentional made between Genos and Tyros 1 made me laugh... ;D You cannot do that comparison ever. Tyros 1 sound great for its level, but even newer PSR S keyboards are over the T1 :)
Now, I expect Yamaha will not use feedback for Genos from users to create a stronger Genos 2... This will be a selfish approach, and I expect they will resolve those missing features we spoke a lot of times here, I hope they will solve touch controls issue, registration issues about DSPs, and to make that StepEdit page to be "touchable", not using arrows buttons :D This is a big LOL screen (for me as a programmer)...

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2018, 11:15:33 PM »
Bouncingogre, the Genos runs circles around the Tyros 5 in terms of sound and ease of use, much less a Tyros 1!! And yes, there are things the Tyros series does far better, but overall the Genos is a major upgrade. The musicians on this forum likely agree with me on this point.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 11:16:51 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Bachus

« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2018, 06:54:26 PM »

Definately true..

And yet there is still so much room for upgrades..

May i ask you a question, what features of the Genos are you not or barely using?

keynote

« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2018, 09:51:41 PM »
Mike a heard that odd sound at 45 seconds. You should be able to isolate it in the Mixer. Please do so and tell us what instrument is creating that odd flute sound. Meanwhile, I'll play that style on my Genos with the exact chord progression and see if it happens on mine. If not, it isn't likely an OS issue. Later...

Hi Lee,

Sorry for the late reply. The glitch only happens when you use the preset Style multi-pad #1 when playing the style i.e. The CountryFolkBallad style. Now what is interesting is if you use #3 preset multi-pad when playing the style no glitch happens. It is a high pitched Choir sound and that sound should not occur but it seems to occur on a semi regular basis from what I've discovered. I guess Yamaha can't be bothered although it is a rather annoying glitch. It would be interesting to know if you experience the same glitch on your Genos Lee. I can't imagine it would be an isolated case but stranger things have happened I reckon. At least Yamaha is aware of the problem.

Mike
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 10:08:03 PM by keynote »

« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2018, 09:36:34 PM »
Keynote, I played that style for about 10 minutes straight and nothing happened. Looks like we may a mystery on our hands with this one :(.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2019, 09:36:07 PM »
Dear EileenL
first of all I need to make it clear that we are talking about guesses not facts,you might not have realised what I meant.
If something like what I said were to become reality which I cannot predict,we are talking available audio tracks in styles/audio styles which means that we can have real audio tracks with audio guitars and all that can think of inside of the style following the chord changes.
I repeat it's just a thought I had.
However these Yamaha campaign videos before the release of Genos get my my imagination running.
1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSJhKv1ZGIk
2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHdbmEGyyNg
3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWLkgGZpJWE
And more....
   first video NOT AS GOOD AS GURU JOSH sax version 1990
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 11:41:09 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2019, 11:58:04 PM »
Bachus makes an interesting point. Montage updates can't be all bug fixes. Yamaha is giving Montage users extra tools and features, I'm sure. I used to own a Motif ES7 and there were plenty of neat tools developed for it - all free of charge.
....... but the styles haven't changed all that much. More emphasis has been placed on electronic and dance styles - something I could care less about. Time to start creating my own, but that's no easy task!!

Dear Lee,
"....dance styles - something I could care less about."  Maybe you and me do not belong to the type of buyers Yamaha wants to atract.  :(

"...the styles on Genos haven't changed all that much."  True, but Yamaha has done a great job over the recent years creating fantastic intros and endings, some 8 bars long.  :)

Where they really  - was it dropped the ball ? -  is that so many styles are just 2 bars long. Even my 30 years old  Yamaha 5700 has many styles that are 4 and 8 bars long  plus the fantastic solos that I could call up if someone came to talk to me while I was  playing a complicated tune. 
But then again,  Yamaha may rightly think, who needs more than 1 bar long styles for to-day's "music" ?

There seem to be quite a few on this forum that like Gerard and me were crazy enough to shell out 12.000 $ for the MX 1 which in to-day's money would be 36.000 $, for which you can now  get 9 Genos.  It weighed over 350 pounds so you needed a lot of helpers to take it to a gig. It  had 7  built in speakers but if you wanted to sing you needed an external sound system just as with the Genos.

The MX 1  had a rather limited number of styles - but back in the 1980 they were just out of this world -  The MX1 styles had one feature I have missed ever since.  The intro and style was different depending  on in what  key you played in.

In case anyone creates 8 bar Jazz type styles, please let me buy them.

Cheers

Kaarlo

keynote

« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2019, 08:15:24 AM »
Keynote, I played that style for about 10 minutes straight and nothing happened. Looks like we may a mystery on our hands with this one :(.

I played the same style again yesterday for several minutes and the glitch did not occur this time. It is a mystery and it would be very interesting if the Genos somehow corrected itself although I haven't initiated a factory reset so it would have to be something else if indeed the problem has been rectified. Further investigation is needed and so I'll keep checking it periodically. Thanks for giving it a spin Lee. I'm glad yours is working properly or so it seems. As I stated previously the glitch only occurred after enabling the #1 preset multi-pad which is a mega voice from what I understand.

Mike

Offline valimaties

« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2019, 08:25:01 AM »
I'm not sure, but I think I understood the problem. The glitch is just a very fast high pitch-bending that may occur when you have a style part that use a sostenuto note or chord (typical of the "PAD" voice) and you have not pressed the chord notes with perfect accuracy. For example, if you are in Main C part, listen to the PAD part (I suggest to put it in Solo mode). Then try to change various chords: the voice doesn't retrigger the notes, but it just perform a pitch-bending, good solution for a legato sound on synth and bass, but bad solution for an inaccurate chord change, due to the fast pitch change speed. I suggest you to follow this way and retry:
- Open the style creator
- On the SFF Edit tab, select the Pad voice
- On the RTR option, change the behaviour from "Pitch Bend" to "Retrigger"
Retry now, I hope this could solve the problem

Francesco

Francesco, it was about Multi-Pad not Pad channel from style!

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2019, 12:37:35 PM »
Seams that the Multi pad is the trouble and not the style.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2019, 02:10:59 PM »
I played the same style again yesterday for several minutes and the glitch did not occur this time. It is a mystery and it would be very interesting if the Genos somehow corrected itself although I haven't initiated a factory reset so it would have to be something else if indeed the problem has been rectified. Further investigation is needed and so I'll keep checking it periodically. Thanks for giving it a spin Lee. I'm glad yours is working properly or so it seems. As I stated previously the glitch only occurred after enabling the #1 preset multi-pad which is a mega voice from what I understand.

How do you use a mega voice in a multipad? Aren’t those voices only for styles?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ