Author Topic: USB stick  (Read 4160 times)

mike61

USB stick
« on: November 22, 2018, 01:44:48 PM »
Hi to you all
I'v been a member of this forum for a few year's but have never posted here before becouse i take so long to take things in, so please help me with my problem if you can, I have been trying to get a usb stick recomended by Yamaha but when i try to order one the i can't seem to get the one's i need i am in the uk so is that my problem? or may be i'm past all this, I have been helped by reading the forum every day the the last 5 years, and just someone can help me now. thanks. Mike

Offline EileenL

Re: USB stick
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 02:43:59 PM »
Hi Mike,
  I am In the UK also and use Verbatim,  Kingston, and SanDisk All of these work fine. I use 32 and 64 Gb ones.

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 04:18:40 PM »
Hi
   I use Sandisk with Genos and also with PSR950 no problems.

Offline Nickt5

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 06:01:40 PM »
Ive got about 15 different makes and they all work Some of the oder ones are a bit slower but Ive not had one that didn't work.

mike61

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 08:15:21 PM »
Hi
Thank you all for replying, strange about the SanDisk drives I bought the Sandisk ultra flair 64GB 2 weeks ago I tried to update my firmware for 3 day's using this stick it would not read it? I checked the forum and loads of users were having the same problem not with SanDisk but all sorts of sticks. I found an unbranded USB that came with a PSR-S970 I bought fomated it on the computer and downloaded V1.30 put the stick in Genos and bingo it worked I was so pleased. I got a refund for the SanDisk and still trying to find one that will work. I will try get one at the weekend thanks again to you all,Mike

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 08:18:33 PM »
Hello Mike,

I have used the same ones that Eileen has mentioned and not had a problem with any of them. I have used them in Tyros 5 and Genos.

It doesn’t seem to make any difference whether you use USB2 or USB3 types.

I think Nick’s post is also very helpful.

These are all fairly inexpensive but make sure you buy genuine ones and not cheapos from some websites.

Best wishes

Trevor (MINKYCATS)
Yamaha AR100 organ:  Genos
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000, Tyros 5 - 61 and others.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 09:27:23 PM »
Hi
Thank you all for replying, strange about the SanDisk drives I bought the Sandisk ultra flair 64GB 2 weeks ago I tried to update my firmware for 3 day's using this stick it would not read it? I checked the forum and loads of users were having the same problem not with SanDisk but all sorts of sticks.

Hi Mike,

SanDisk USB drives usually come with their encryption software (Sandisk Secure Access) installed.

This type of software can cause problems with some systems, even if you haven't used it,  and this may be why your keyboard couldn't access the firmware update file.

It sounds as if you have now managed to return the SanDisk device, but if you had formatted it on the keyboard, then that would not only have ensured that the device was formatted in the FAT32 format required by Yamaha keyboards (although I suspect that it was already FAT32), but should have deleted the security software from the device which was probably causing your problem.

SanDisk are not the only manufacturer to include such software on their products, so I would suggest checking the next USB that you buy as soon as you get it, and either delete any software if found, or simply reformat it (as FAT32), preferably on the keyboard, which will effectively delete it for you.

Regards

Ian

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 12:26:50 AM »
The SanDisk USB drives I have do not have that extra file on so no problem. You should aways format on Keyboard before use on Genos.

mike61

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 11:21:01 AM »
Thank you all for your replys, I have ordered a Kingston 64GB from Ebuyer I will format it on the Genos, and see if I can get it to read it. Thank you all Mike

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 02:03:29 PM »
I agree with formatting on the Genos first. By doing so, you have eliminated any inconsistencies between the Genos and the outside world - so to speak. My PC reads the sticks with no problems, even after being formatted on the Genos. I use Verbatim sticks.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 02:44:59 PM »
Hi Mike,
  You should not have any problems at all and always best to do what Yamaha recommend.