Author Topic: Martin Harris settings  (Read 13524 times)

kmspecialties

Martin Harris settings
« on: November 16, 2018, 08:50:09 PM »
Has anyone asked Yamaha if Martin Harris could put up his personal settings for voices
Bob

Offline valimaties

Re: Martin Harris settings
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 09:34:30 PM »
Has anyone asked Yamaha if Martin Harris could put up his personal settings for voices
Bob

You will never see that info :D

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 11:14:16 AM »
Martin like all Yamaha demonstrators uses the keyboard just as it comes. It is his skill in playing it that makes the difference and knowing its capabilities. That is what you hear. No mystery there.

The following users thanked this post: Ryszard Bieszczad

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 11:26:37 AM »
There are a lot of voices already shaped a little better in the one touch buttons area
You can compare and then look in the voice structure and you work it out.
Also experiment with effects
luvvly Jubbly :)

also on some videos' you see the recordings are done professionally to appeal to the buyer, called gloss.
The same when you see an advert for something nice to eat. It always looks better that real life. :P

Then I say SAUSAGES!!!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 11:30:44 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 01:07:25 PM »
I agree with Eileen, Martin is probably using onboard voices but ugawoga is also correct, there are a hundred of various voice settings using the same exact voice buried in your OTS (you got to run through all your styles). So, when you find a  cool sounding setup NOTE it somewhere on paper or copy it into a registration and save it.

Vali is sadly also correct, if Martin is cheating with some special voice set up, he won't tell you. He won't even tell you he is using a SPECIAL style that you can purchase from Yamaha online that is not on the keyboard. I have noticed that he (and everyone else that demos these keyboards) hardly ever plays the song all the way through. That's because only a hand full of the Preset styles are set up to do that. Also I have caught the demonstrators using midi backing tracks and when they are using one, they don't tell you they are using it (which is also available for purchase at the Yamaha online store. I have watched a couple videos where there are two of them demoing in which one plays the style and the other is playing the lead. Thus creating the same thing as playing along with a midi file.

There is a lot of gloss in the videos for sure.  ;)

Keep in mind these are pros playing just short pieces of music (which they have totally memorized) and have been playing for decades, not hundreds of current full songs filling a 3 to 4 hour gig.  ;D

Ya, pass the SAUSAGES this way !!

Regards
Drake
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 01:17:42 PM by DrakeM »

The following users thanked this post: Georgeandmarj

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 02:37:02 PM »
So, when you find a  cool sounding setup NOTE it somewhere on paper or copy it into a registration and save it.

Sage advice.  :)

-- pj

Offline valimaties

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 03:13:17 PM »
Hi.

If you look to a demonstrator demos, you will see that he (they) use its registrations, which means (  what?! ;D ) they have different settings for styles played on demo-shows. I think they add Compressors to drums, bass, other DSPs to other channels in styles. I will never believe they use registrations only to find more quickly the styles they use for live demo. It's clearly they have its custom settings for each style/mid or whatever they use.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 03:26:28 PM »
If you watch Martin you will see he is using knobs and sliders on the fly for getting his affects. There is no hidden magic. What you see is what you can get when you get your keyboard home. No hidden styles or midi files. In demonstrations we all know that you can not just play any song because of copy-write law therefore they will play something worked around it. They will of course create registration banks of OTS settings and styles as this is quick for them to find when they only have a certain amount of time for the demonstration.

Offline Wim

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 04:31:04 PM »
i attended a demo from Peter Baartmans. His demo of the new cfx piano sounded very good. But I could not find this at my keyboard. What I miss a little is to find out how the demo voices are made. If you choose a voice and you press demo, you can not find out which settings this voice is made off.
rgds Wim

Offline Wim

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 04:32:43 PM »
i attended a demo from Peter Baartmans. His demo of the new cfx piano sounded very good. But I could not find this at my keyboard. What I miss a little is to find out how the demo voices are made. If you choose a voice and you press demo, you can not find out which settings this voice is made off.
rgds Wim

Offline valimaties

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 04:54:32 PM »
Hi Eileen.

Yes, indeed. In Harris's videos (Yamaha's original presentation of Genos) he uses knobs and sliders, but for what?! For cutoff and volumes, only. But the rest of settings in styles, voices, DSP used, EQ, Compressor and so on?!

When Peter Baartmans came in Romania to present Genos, I was at his presentation. He, (with his mouth :) ), said (a little bit whisper) that he uses his settings and he said we have all we need in keyboard. He also said he does not used custom packs or premium voices in its demo. I know I have in keyboard, but what are the combinations of DSP and eq and compressor it will do all the thing :)

Regards,
Vali
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 04:55:36 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 05:25:02 PM »
Hi Vali,
  Settings are a personal choice as we are all different in what we want to hear.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 07:14:16 PM »
Hi Vali,
  Settings are a personal choice as we are all different in what we want to hear.

Yes Eileen, indeed, I know that thing and I am truly agree, but this is about in this thread: Martin Harris's settings :D His choice of using "those settings". :)

Best regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 09:15:36 PM »
Hi

You have to take In consideration to the speaker systems they use, also how they are recorded.
It makes a world of difference to how a keyboard sounds.
The satellite speakers and boom box on the Genos is very sub standard to the sound of say eg, Focal Alpha's.  50's for small rooms and 65's for larger ones that need extra bass. Also Yamaha's.
For a lot of people the satellite speakers and bass is enough for them. It is their preference.
Also room acoustics play a big part as well.
Yamaha would not sell keyboards If they played them through transistor radio, metaphorically speaking.
Val is right as the Yamaha pro's keep their settings under their hats.
Yamaha should release an advanced book for the Genos going into detail about the deep side. Sounds, Effects etc. Also Integration with Cubase.
It would help a lot of people I'm sure.
Eileen says that sound is a personal preference, but to most peoples ears, they all know what a quality sound sounds like to an average one. but Eileen Is right In saying  peoples ears are all different. Another mans meat Is another mans poison.
In general we all know what quality Is and what average Is. If your lug holes are in good nick. ;D"I have to put my glasses on to hear quality sounds" ::) :P ;D
Genos sounds as they come do need manipulating to get the best out of them. That Is where the fun begins.
ATB
John :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 09:46:28 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2018, 10:11:17 PM »
Yamaha should release an advanced book for the Genos going into detail about the deep side. Sounds, Effects etc.
It isn't going to happen because it would actually reduce sales to the musicians. The reasons are mostly social, not technical.

1) The relations between musicians and sound engineers are quite similar to the ones between car drivers and car mechanics. There's obvious tension here that one group shouldn't be stepping onto the area of expertise of the other group. This kind armistice is sometimes very obvious to somebody who had an opportunity to compare the "monitor mix" (heard on stage) and "front-of-house mix" (heard by the audience).

2) It would literally force the musicians to explicitly deal with realities of their hearing loss and/or damage. This is an extremely socially sensitive matter, and I'm even afraid of mentioning it here. I'll just provide a quote from the Wikipedia article about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Czerny :
Czerny was the first to report symptoms of Beethoven's deafness, years before the matter became public: "I also noticed with that visual quickness peculiar to children that he had cotton which seemed to have been steeped in a yellowish liquid, in his ears."
and a link to video of Pete Townshend discussing his tinnitus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3GE0lGPvyE

I think the current situation at Yamaha and other manufacturers of musical and sound equipment accurately reflects the social contract in the society. It isn't just a matter of publishing more manuals or training videos. It touches very delicate social issues far beyond the informal banter on the internet forums.

kmspecialties

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2018, 11:42:57 PM »
Seems like I reopened an open wound, I tend to agree that if Yamaha or Martin put out some basic settings they would look like heroes and would be at the top of the stranger heep.
I do understand about speakers etc. but the glitz and glam that they portray on their demos is terrible. Yes food commercials are notorious for that, but we are not buying a $3.00 burger put a keyboard that seems to have an average world price of $5,000.00
Bob

Offline EileenL

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 12:17:46 PM »
Believe it or not but on smaller venues Yamaha demonstrators use Stage-Pass 400 set and mixer and they really sound great. I used a Stage-Pass 300 set for a few years on my gigs and always got compliments on the sound quality they produced.
As for asking for demonstrators settings they will tell you what they used when they visit your local shops or Hotels and let you see for yourself that they are all as they come. Maybe with added reverb or DSP settings that we can all set up for ourselves. Surely this is part of the fun of owning one of these keyboards that you can make it sound like you want to or just play it as it is. Either way it still sounds great. Try picking a voice and then going through all the types of DSP and you will be surprised what you come up with.
   Demonstrations aren't meant to do this. You need to go to some workshops on the keyboard and you will learn this.
   Daniel Watt who is one of Yamahas service engineers has now produced a DVD showing you how to do lots of things.