PSR Keyboards (11 Boards) > PSR-S970/S770/S670 (SFF2)

S670: How to record short repeatable sequences?

(1/9) > >>

tomsixtwo:
I've owned an S670 for a week now. In this short time I already had many success experiences. The sounds are mostly great, the settings are deep enough (but not overcomplicated) and I like the feeling of the keybed. I even built my first own voices using the Expansion Manager ;D Actually, the S670 is a well-balanced product and it seems to be perfect for my needs.

However, I have massive difficulties recording sequences. My use case is so simple: I want to record four or eight bars of accompaniment, run it as an endless loop and then improvise to it.

I just can't do it, neither with Quick Recording, nor with the Song Creator. No matter how exactly I press the stop button, there is always a gap in the recording. Unfortunately, I can't use A/B-Repeat to fix the loop, because this function always inserts a one bar metronome count-in at the beginning (I googled about the "A/B issue", found a lot of frustrated posts about this topic (also in this forum), but no solution).

I've tried everything and I'm just so desperate that I'm thinking about returning the keyboard. I would appreciate your help, because the S670 is (apart from my problem) so great. It can't be that so a simple task isn't possible with this keyboard.

tomsixtwo:
Wow, what a comprehensive answer. Thank you very much, Roy.

I was afraid of all that. But it is as it is, even though I don't want to believe that my application is unusual for keyboards.

My hope was that I made a mistake in the operation. There is the Song Repeat function (e.g. Single) which repeats a song. If a song is only a few bars long, it should still work properly. But it doesn't. Either I don't get the end of the recording correctly (I really tried a lot and pressed the stop button in the exact timing) or the S670 needs a certain reaction time before it repeats the song. Maybe for technical reasons.

Then I have to bite the bullet and say goodbye to the S670 :(

Single finger chords and styles are a great way to quickly discover new chord sequences. Therefore a workstation (e.g. the MOXF6) is out of the question. I would also go for the next bigger model (S775). There is a Step Record (ingeniously also for Multipads), which gives me the exact control over the song length. But I'm afraid that this model also has a gap when repeating songs.

So, here is my question to the owners of the S775/975: Are a single song repeated smooth when Song Repeat is set to Single?

Ed B:
Tom
Not sure what you are trying to do to create music but the 670 is not a loop station. That said, styles are basically short 4 to 8 bar phrases that repeat or loop . They consist of drums, bass, etc..  eight sections in total using midi channels 8 to 16. You can turn these off individually or use the complete accompaniment. In essence they loop continuously. Why not just improvise over the style or a channel of the style?

If you really want to do what you are suggesting you can use a multipad which has 4 sections and you can set it to loop continuously and it can be as long as you want. Each section is one channel and all can play together. They can be played from the accompaniment section. They are assigned to channels 5 to 8. 
You can also using the song creator build up a song, using multi-tracking, one channel at a time until you have a complete song but each track is generally the length of the song.
With the arranger you have a palette of musical sounds to create whatever genre you desire.

Regards
Ed B

panos:
Hi Tom,
If you wish to loop just chords then record a 10+ minutes song with those 3-4 chords.
Make sure you record at a low tempo so you can play the chords at the correct timing.
Then save the song at the speed you wish.
Now you can improvise the melody with your right hand.
The chords will be repeatable at least for 10 minutes (or longer if you have the patience.I don't know how many bars a keyboard can record at a time)

If you wish to impovise to chord progression just pick a style,play chords and write down those who fit together and you like(as you probably allready did).

tomsixtwo:
Thank you all for your help. I have accepted that the S670 can't do what I want it to do.

Today I went to a local keyboard dealer and told him my problems. We tried different things. In the end, he was also disappointed that something so simple isn't possible with Yamaha keyboards. He is very friendy and will unpack a S775 tomorrow to see if this keyboard will fulfil my expections.

As soon as I got feedback from him, I will decide ... and report here  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version