Author Topic: Genos with 9inch portable monitor - really practical!  (Read 12973 times)

Offline rdiazhin

Genos with 9inch portable monitor - really practical!
« on: November 07, 2018, 09:56:39 PM »
I thought it will be cool to share this for those who like me, miss the tiltable screen from the Tyros.

I bought this 9inch portable monitor on Ebay for $49. It has the same Genos screen size and resolution of 800x480 so there is no scaling of the video and image quality is pretty good and clear.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Current Keyboards: Yamaha Genos

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, KeyboardByBiggs

Offline Toril S

Re: Genos with 9inch portable monitor - really practical!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 10:02:37 PM »
Hello Rodrigo. Thanks for the tip! I have an S970 and will see if this screen can be used with it.
I see that you have had a PSR-47. I still have mine, and it works. Having fun recording some songs using it. I also have the PSR 2100, and that keyboard is in use right now.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 10:27:45 PM »
Wow, that's slick! Are these little monitors easy to acquire or are they as rare as dinosaurs? Is the standard resolution on the Genos only 800 x 480? It looks better than that.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline rdiazhin

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 10:35:01 PM »
The monitor can be easily found on Ebay or Amazon.

Offline rdiazhin

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 10:35:52 PM »
Hello Rodrigo. Thanks for the tip! I have an S970 and will see if this screen can be used with it.
I see that you have had a PSR-47. I still have mine, and it works. Having fun recording some songs using it. I also have the PSR 2100, and that keyboard is in use right now.

Hi Toril ,

I should work pretty well with PSR-S970.

Few years ago, I had a PSR-3000 and I used a portable monitor also and it was pretty good.

The PSR-47 was my second keyboard back in 1989. I played it until almost break it for 3 years and then sold it to purchase the PSR-600.

Offline sjn2048

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 08:44:43 PM »
HAs anybody found these in the UK with a 240V input, plenty on Amazon but all seem to be geared up to connect to a cars 12v DC supply.

Offline Joe H

Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 09:46:46 AM »
HAs anybody found these in the UK with a 240V input, plenty on Amazon but all seem to be geared up to connect to a cars 12v DC supply.

Like sjn2048, I wonder if anyone has found these in the UK either with a 240v (which I think would be unlikely) input or with a suitable  12v power supply unit?

Just found a similar item on Amazon uk site. Look for “Toguard 9 inch monitor “. Looks similar to the one featured on eBay USA site but resolution is higher (1024*600) so don’t know if it would be ok for Genos. Controls look the same and it comes with a suitable 12volt  adapter. Does anyone know if it is possible to adjust the resolution or would it work as is?

There are also several similar ones on eBay uk. There is a 7in one that looks exactly like the one in this thread from eBay USA.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 11:09:30 AM by MINKYCATS »
Yamaha AR100 organ:  Genos
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000, Tyros 5 - 61 and others.

Offline sjn2048

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 12:29:41 AM »
Hi Bill

I’d really like the 800 x 480 screen format so it’s 1:1 with the Genos, this one seems to be 1024 x 768

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 05:07:02 PM »
sjn2048 is interested in this portable monitor and so am I.

As I said in my earlier post the ones on Amazon or  eBay have a higher resolution.

However no one has answered the question whether it would work on Genos if it was connected via a VGA connector. Some of these do have a VGA socket but I can’t seem to find out if the display would work satisfactorily if connected in this way.

Most of the Amazon uk and eBay uk ones come with a suitable 12volt adapter  it seems.

I may be talking a load of rubbish but it would be great if some guru could clarify the situation for us none techie types.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000, Tyros 5 - 61 and others.

Offline rdiazhin

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 05:33:11 PM »
Hello Trevor (MINKYCATS)

I'm the original author of this post.

My monitor has VGA, RCA and HDMI input. It came with the required cables. I'm using the VGA input.

My recommendation is to get a monitor that has VGA input and use an USB to VGA adapter supported by Genos.

If the monitor screen resolution is the same as Genos (800x480) there will not be scaling. Using higher resolutions will scale the image.

The following users thanked this post: MINKYCATS

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 07:59:36 AM »
Hi rdiazhin,

Thank you for your explanation and recommendations.

At least I have something to work with now.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)

Bachus

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 06:25:13 PM »
No clue what the monitor adds...
There is a lovely 9” screen on the Genos
And 9” in landscape is for my tatse to small for sheetmusic reading..
(Using a 12,9” ipad for that)

So what can this 2nd screen do that the genos scrn can no?

Offline zionip

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 08:16:44 PM »
Hi Bachus,

The 2nd screen, regardless of size, can rest on the music rest of Genos to provide a better viewing angle for the player especially under strong overhead lighting situations when it is difficult or impossible to view the Genos built-in 9-inch touch screen due to serious reflection of overhead light.

Thanks,
Paul

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 09:01:32 PM »
Agreed with Paul. The non-titling screen was a VERY serious item overlooked by Yamaha. It's probably all about that profit thing AGAIN! Every company scrapes the bottom of the barrel for that extra 15 cents per unit sold. Meanwhile, it just annoys the very people who support the company. Not good!!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline beano

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 10:33:59 PM »
just to clarify..the additional monitor only mirrors the built in genos screen..so you've still got to see and use the touch screen on the genos...i'm with bachus..why bother ?

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 11:18:18 PM »
just to clarify..the additional monitor only mirrors the built in genos screen..so you've still got to see and use the touch screen on the genos...i'm with bachus..why bother ?
For the tilt screen we should have got!! It's a no brainer. I'm a pro and am constantly fighting with house and stage lighting blinding me while looking at a stationary screen. Never had that issue with the T5!!!

Yamaha -  the next time you THINK you have something brilliant to add to a keyboard, try asking the users who pay your salaries!! Whoever the bone head was who made the screen stationary needs to be fired. Stop hiring people who came last in their class.

Offline beano

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2018, 12:00:14 AM »
It's a no brainer. I'm a pro .....doesn't matter whether your'e a pro..novice or whatever...logic is logic you still have to use the built in 9 inch touchscreen..so an external monitor only ..without touchscreen requirements is surplus

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2018, 12:35:55 PM »
Agreed Beano! It was a totally dumb move. The last arranger screen I had that was stationary was my PSR3000, and then the color scheme was SO terrible!! It had red letters on a navy blue background. How the h*** are you supposed to read that? There are a lot of dumb designers in this world!

Offline John T4

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2018, 03:52:36 PM »
Hi, no one has mentioned how this is connected to the Genos. As its vga I assume you are using a recommended adapter.
FYI  i have tried 2 different makes of adapter, same recommended chipset.. and 2 different monitors and after a minute or so the genos crashes with a software error.
I am watching lyrics on the external screen,  the only recovery is 2 unplug power to restart..

does any one else have this.. i'm on v1.30

john

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2018, 05:10:59 PM »
NO.

A 21 inch HP Slate for music reading is practical or similar
The rest Is gimmicks 8)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

The following users thanked this post: torben

Offline John T4

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2018, 08:10:12 AM »
I don't agree I use a iPad pro 12.9 inch to read music and the idea of the external screen is to put up lyrics for an audience to sing along with some midi files I like play and indeed karaoke files I have on my genos so it's not a gimmick and used to work and in fact on a tyros It is standard