Author Topic: Chord changes in intros  (Read 10878 times)

Offline Floodie

Chord changes in intros
« on: November 04, 2018, 05:37:37 PM »
I am attempting to create a new style from scratch. Genos..
I want to make an intro, one that includes changing chords.
I managed to make all the parts for the new intro, but the for the life of me cannot figure out how to make the chord changes.
The intro is 8 bars of Gm6 but the last two bars are Em and D.

Please do not recommend a computer related option. My computers are Linux and no software is available in that platform as far as I can see.
Everything else seemed easy, Am I overlooking the obvious?

Thanks.

Offline mikf

Re: Chord changes in intros
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 06:38:41 PM »
 Intros are like mini midi songs that are triggered by a single chord that sets the key of the intro. Very well written intros will also subtly change for a minor key trigger. Every part is recorded, so the any chord changes are built into it just like a recorded song. If you play chords you just change the key of the intro and screw it up.
To make a custom intro you need to go into style creator and create the intro part by part. If you are new to this it will take a bit of learning, so start simple. 
Mike

Offline Floodie

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 07:59:07 PM »
Thanks Mike,

I made a complete set of "Intro 3" tracks using Style Creator, all good.

I was overthinking the problem.

Would it be true that an "intro part" is exactly the same as a "style part"? Other than length restrictions?

Thanks

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 08:17:47 PM »
Would it be true that an "intro part" is exactly the same as a "style part"? Other than length restrictions?
I suppose that functionally they are similar, but the main difference is complexity. The intros and endings are mini songs, with melody lines, wheres the style part has to be simple and repetitive phrases that sound right harmonically no matter what chord is triggered. I have never really looked into it in detail, but I imagine that some of the settings are different to allow this.
Mike

Offline panos

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 08:34:19 PM »
Hi Floodie,
you have to change some parameters in style creator for the parts.
Don't know exactly wich one of them to help you though.
I would have looked up what parameters use Yamaha on intro's 3 in preset styles where there are chord changes.
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,47177.msg369877.html#msg369877

Intro's and Endings are the same as Mains except that they don't have the "repeat" command,
I guess.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 05:51:25 PM by panos »

Offline Floodie

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 04:30:36 PM »
Because of the quick and very helpful responses to my first post, I have decided to become a supporting member.
Thanks everyone!

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 02:18:32 PM »
I'm glad that folks want to develop their own styles.

One major suggestions: Download Michael Bedesem's StyleDump program and study Yamaha factory styles. (Thank you, Michael!) Learn how Yamaha program styles, especially the CASM section.

Intro and Ending sections (usually) follow the root note and bypass the Note Transposition Table (NTT). Main and Fill-In sections normally follow the root note and transpose according to chord type, etc.

Drum and rhythm parts fix the root note and bypass the NTT whether it's an Intro, Ending, Main or Fill-In.

Hope this helps -- pj

CASM NTT/NTR settings

Normal parts: Main and Fill-In sections

NTR: Root Transpose
    NTT: Melody+Bass/Bass On, Chord/Bass Off
    Retrigger Rule: Pitch Shift To Root, Pitch Shift

Normal parts: Introductions and Endings

NTR: Root Transpose
    NTT: Bypass/Bass Off
    Retrigger Rule: Pitch Shift

Drum/rhythm parts:

NTR: Root Fixed