Author Topic: Why can't the Genos do this?  (Read 20727 times)

KeyboardMaestroYT

Why can't the Genos do this?
« on: October 31, 2018, 03:07:56 AM »
Not sure if this is allowed but... Something that struck me today is that my 21 year old Technics Keyboard can do smooth sound transitions but the 1 year old Yamaha Genos can't do that.. Why exactly is that?

Genos has 1GB of waverom? 256 Notes of Polyphony, 28 Different DSP blocks.
KN-920 has 8MB of Waverom, 32 notes of Polyphony and only 2 Different DSP blocks.

https://youtu.be/8lm-SHwxsY4

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Why can't the Genos do this?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 03:21:58 AM »
Not sure if this is allowed but... Something that struck me today is that my 21 year old Technics Keyboard can do smooth sound transitions but the 1 year old Yamaha Genos can't do that.. Why exactly is that?

Because the Genos has DSPs, and the Technics does not.

There's no problem with smooth sound transitions on the Genos, as long as you don't use DSPs.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Joe H

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 03:24:53 AM »
In your demo, you took a long time to switch Voices.  This issue has been brought up several times.  It's the DSPs that are causing the issue with fade-out.  If you switch Voices suddenly the DSP effect "tail" gets cut-off.  If you use the same DSP settings for the next Voice, you won't hear the disrupted DSP effect. It's not realistic to use radically different DPS effect with in the same style/performance.

(Sorry Fred... we were posting at the same time)

Joe H
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 03:26:00 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 01:48:16 PM »
All true - but since Genos now has 28 DSP available, you'd think they could find a way to make at least the R1/2/3 panel voices pick up a spare DSP when you make a change.
Genos

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 02:11:41 PM »
All true - but since Genos now has 28 DSP available, you'd think they could find a way to make at least the R1/2/3 panel voices pick up a spare DSP when you make a change.

It’s not a spare DSP that’s needed, it’s a spare midi channel.

You can switch seamlessly from R1 to R2 with different DSPs. It’s only when you switch to different DSPs on the same voice.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 02:21:48 PM »
Hi  KeyboardMaestroYT --

We've kicked this topic around quite a bit on the Forum. Hopefully, Yamaha will get the message and implement Seamless Sound Switching (SSS) on Genos and PSR.

One idea that has merit. The DSPs assigned to the song channels sit around unused if you are not playing a MIDI Song. Yamaha should find a way to make them dynamically assignable, possibly in service to SSS. Some of us also want to insert multiple DSPs on a single channel. In the latter case, it's currently possible, but editing and retention aren't supported in any genuine (robust) way.

Thanks for adding your voice to the chorus asking for SSS -- pj

KeyboardMaestroYT

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 02:23:55 PM »
No problem, i just can't fathorn that a $4000 keyboard doesn't have SSS. My older casio keyboards even had that, my older Yamaha's had that. The Genos has so many features, and 28 DSP blocks, so why can't it do that?... The Technics is inferior at anything else, but this...

Offline DerekA

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 02:54:50 PM »
It’s not a spare DSP that’s needed, it’s a spare midi channel.

You can switch seamlessly from R1 to R2 with different DSPs. It’s only when you switch to different DSPs on the same voice.

Say you play a piano note on R1 with the sustain pedal down then change the voice to a trumpet during the decay. Does the voice itself change from piano to trumpet, or is it just the DSP that is ripped away?
Genos

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 03:38:48 PM »
Hi  KeyboardMaestroYT --

We've kicked this topic around quite a bit on the Forum. Hopefully, Yamaha will get the message and implement Seamless Sound Switching (SSS) on Genos and PSR.

One idea that has merit. The DSPs assigned to the song channels sit around unused if you are not playing a MIDI Song. Yamaha should find a way to make them dynamically assignable, possibly in service to SSS. Some of us also want to insert multiple DSPs on a single channel. In the latter case, it's currently possible, but editing and retention aren't supported in any genuine (robust) way.

Thanks for adding your voice to the chorus asking for SSS -- pj

Thanks for adding your voice to the chorus asking for SSS  +1 !!!
Soundphase

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 03:40:51 PM »
No problem, i just can't fathorn that a $4000 keyboard doesn't have SSS. My older casio keyboards even had that, my older Yamaha's had that. The Genos has so many features, and 28 DSP blocks, so why can't it do that?... The Technics is inferior at anything else, but this...
For me, it is the main reason why the Genos can not be considered as a "professional instrument".

Offline BenoitM

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 06:13:20 PM »
Some of us also want to insert multiple DSPs on a single channel. In the latter case, it's currently possible, but editing and retention aren't supported in any genuine (robust) way.

I'm one of those people  8) ! I really don't understand what Yamaha was thinking when they designed the User Interface for the multiple Insertion Effects ! Such power underused (at that price tag  :o !) and even with all the known workaround to change the multiple dsp detail parameters, in the end when we save it to a Registration, all (except the last modified dsp) parameters are 'forgotten' and revert to their default value when the reg is recalled …  >:(  its not only a BUG its a major one ! Come one Yamaha, this can be fixed with a software update  :P

Ha, and, yes for the SSS, i'm in !    +1 

Seagull29

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 03:30:29 PM »
Hi,
that's what made me say that the Genos, when it was released, had been made "to hate" to counter or take a step ahead of the competition. And I agree that, despite its undeniable qualities of sound and effects, Genos, like the Tyros 5 by the way, can not be considered as a truly professional tool by many major aspects and deficiencies, especially in publishing.