Author Topic: Playlist problem on Genos  (Read 33496 times)

Offline ugawoga

Playlist problem on Genos
« on: October 25, 2018, 08:53:21 PM »
Hi
Up to now things are going well.
I had a go at loading in the Genos playlist as I wanted a quick trial of a song I seen in there.
I created a root folder and put that on usb stick and imported .
Chose the playlist and the songs are there.
When i go to select a registration and load, i get an exclamation mark up and it tells me i have a inappropiate file name cannot find file .
I thought this was easy BUT!!!
I even saved the oldies file to user and the same happens.
I do not usually use playlist, but i saw a song that i wanted to practice and get somewhere near the sound

What am I missing???

Any help ,big thanks.

All the best
John
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 09:05:46 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline EileenL

Re: Playlist problem on Genos
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 11:40:24 PM »
Hi John,
  You can only use these from USB 1.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 12:23:54 AM »
Hi Eileen
I realize now what i was doing
Yes you are right
Sometimes i get stuck on simple things. Weird that!!
I managed to transfer a playlist file over to user.
Must be that two week holiday that sent me backwards. :P
Also watching Swindon Town lose AGAIN!!

all the Best
John :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 12:32:28 PM »
It is weird the way the playlist works
I got it going and it took a bit of time. I had to do a part factory reset and things are loading properly now
God knows what went wrong.
Now i have the song I wanted and it lights up green now
More long winded than the music finder.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 03:08:24 PM by ugawoga »

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 12:56:15 PM »
I really miss the alphabetical view on the T5. With the push of one button, you could change the view from 10 Reg per page to the entire Reg list in alphabetical order. Now you have to import the songs first, and then bring up the playlist. Too many extra steps. We should have both options.

Sad that Yamaha made it overly complex to build a playlist. I still have trouble adding a few songs from the same folder to an existing playlist. It's counter intuitive compared to regular operating systems.

Guess I really need to sit down and figure out yet anther way of operating a computer - all because one company won't stick with a world standard. And then there's their stupid, "Copy here" command. Smart developers use the word, "Paste"...but I digress.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 03:00:50 PM »
Hi John,
  The playlist can not be transferred to user section. As soon as you remove the USB stick with it on it won't work unless you have the TSV files to load into user. 

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 05:05:56 PM »
Hi Eileen
I have got it now!! "Wait for the Green light"!!! ::)

Big thanks for reply. :)

All the best
john :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 05:07:35 PM by ugawoga »

Offline valimaties

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 08:51:58 AM »
It is so simple creating and using Playlist function, I don't know why you think is so complicated, Lee...

John, the playlist file of Genos is a csv file, a TAB delimited file, which can be opened with a text editor. If you open a tsv file you will check that first row is a fixed "column name" row, which has to be present on every file, even if you will create that file from Excel or Notepad. Next rows are data rows (records) in that playlist file.
The structure is so simple and so intuitive, I don't know why for some people is "complicated" :)
A record in a playlist has a Title, a path to the registration bank, the number of the registration from selected registration bank to load automatically, and the viewer which will be displayed automatically when you select and Load the playlist record.

The path to registration bank files contains a letter (I: , J: , etc). This means the registration bank files has to be present on that location. You cannot change anything on that path (move content in a sub-folder) because it will not work anymore. So, if you have I:/Folder1/Folder2/Myreg.rgt on a record, it means the registration bank has to be on the first USB (depends on how many USB sticks you have inserted in your keyboard), in a folder named Folder2, which it is in a folder named Folder1, which is present in the root of your USB stick. You said you have created a root folder. You cannot create a root folder on a stick, if you double click the USB letter on the PC, the open window will showing the root folder. Root means the first level of hierarchy on a device, which will be I:, or D:, or E: or whatever... If you have created a folder which you named it "Root" (or whatever) and you have put all the content in that folder, you practically changed the path for the elements/records in the media (USB stick, HDD, etc), which means the keyboard will not find anymore the file which is wrote in the playlist file.
ie: The new path for your registration bank files is I:/Root/Folder1/Folder2/Myreg.rgt which is not the same with path wrote in playlist file, I:/Folder1/Folder2/Myreg.rgt . Genos will try to find Folder1 in the USB, which is not present because you moved it in a folder named Root.

It is very simple.

Lee, I have made a software which automatically will sort your playlist file, you can edit records, delete records, you can add records to your playlist, or append another playlist (concatenate 2 or more playlist files).
See this https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,46456.0.html
I have made a video, also, which will show you who this software works, it is very simple and very easy to use. Look in the first post on link I gave you for more details.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline pjd

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 01:27:26 PM »
The playlist file of Genos is a csv file, a TAB delimited file, which can be opened with a text editor. If you open a tsv file you will check that first row is a fixed "column name" row, which has to be present on every file, even if you will create that file from Excel or Notepad. Next rows are data rows (records) in that playlist file.

Thanks, Vali! More info below (from an earlier post):

-- pj

A Genos Playlist is a tab-separated value (TSV) file with the extension ".tsv".

The first line in the file identifies the fields:

TITLE   FILEPATH   REGIST   OPENVIEWER

The field names are separated by tab characters.

The rest of the file consists of Playlist records. Each line is a record with four tab-separated fields:

TITLE          Song title (embedded spaces are OK)
    FILEPATH       Path to the registration bank file
    REGIST         Number of the registration within the bank [0:9]
    OPENVIEWER     One of OFF, SCORE, LYRICS, TEXT.

There isn't any special end-of-list record.

REGIST selects a registration memory location. The range of values is 0 to 9 (button 1 to button 10). The REGIST value may also be "OFF", meaning that a button is not selected when the registration is loaded.

Example playlist:

La Playa   I:/PlaylistForGenos/Ballroom/La Playa.rgt   0   OFF
Matrimony   I:/PlaylistForGenos/Ballroom/Matrimony.rgt   0   OFF
Moon River   I:/PlaylistForGenos/Ballroom/Moon River.rgt   0   OFF
Patricia   I:/PlaylistForGenos/Ballroom/Patricia.rgt   0   OFF

Drive I: in this example is the first USB drive. Drive C: is the internal (USER) drive.

Registrations are stored in the internal drive directory: "C:\REGIST". My registration banks have path names like:

C:\REGIST\1950sRock.S917.RGT
    C:\REGIST\Motown.S917.RGT

Each registration within a bank is a song (style, tempo, WAV file, etc.)

Given a list of titles, add the registration path and button number to the playlist file, e.g.,

Whatd I Say   C:\REGIST\1950sRock.S917.RGT   1   OFF
Then You Can Tell Me   C:\REGIST\1950sRock.S917.RGT   2   OFF
Tears Of A Clown   C:\REGIST\Motown.S917.RGT   1   OFF
Heatwave   C:\REGIST\Motown.S917.RGT   2   OFF
I'll Be Around   C:\REGIST\Motown.S917.RGT   3   OFF
I'll Be There   C:\REGIST\Motown.S917.RGT   4   OFF
Just My Imagination   C:\REGIST\Motown.S917.RGT   5   OFF
Nightshift   C:\REGIST\Motown.S917.RGT   6   OFF
What Does It Take   C:\REGIST\Motown.S917.RGT   7   OFF

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 01:27:51 PM »
Didn't know it was a TSV file. Good to know. I can edit it inside Excel as well. Thanks PJ.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 06:32:45 PM »
Hi ::)
For a non computer programmer I find all this over complicated for just a playlist. ::)
Lots of jargon in the process. :-[
I will try Val's program.
I do know that everything has to be linked for it all to work and with the changing USB drive letters the drive letters have to match and the Genos drive letters have a tendancy to shapeshift.  :o :P :)
So Val's program seems the way  to go. :D

All the best
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 06:36:20 PM by ugawoga »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2018, 10:45:37 PM »
Always switch on with USB1 stick in.
 Mine is in the underside compartment so it is easy for me. I just make sure I have no other USB sticks in on switch on. Do not get any problems that way.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 11:46:30 PM »
Hi Eileen

Gotcha in one now. USB 1 in the bomb doors underneath the Genos

Works every time after save and easy to save and add and recall.
big thanks Eileen :)

The thing is Eileen that the drive letters change and  usb 1 becomes usb 2 if you plug a stick into the back of the machine. when you take a stick out from the back your original stick has changed and then it messes the sequence up.
It would be fantastic if Yamaha could put the necessary information to be read on the Expansion USB and then It would be foolproof.
On a computer it does not matter what the drive letters are as long as you know what drive is attached, but the Genos has a mind of it's own.
So I think this is where vals program comes into its own.
But, does Vals program run from the computer or does it allow the usb stick to be used for people playing out after using it ???
For me it would be nice just to fire the machine up and press playlist when practicing and it works without having to fumble around for ten minutes each time to get things to light up instead of that dreaded question mark.
I will have a good look at Vals program now and see if i can mess that up.
I am not the fastest brain on the block but i get there slowly as I could not tell cobalt from a chemical element with symbol Co and atomic number 27 or Java from a volcano. 8) :)

all the best
john :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 10:13:33 PM by ugawoga »

Offline valimaties

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2018, 10:31:07 AM »
Thanks PJ, and sorry for that "csv" :D ... I forgot to edit it when I placed the text in forum... Because I'm not a great english speaker, I edit most of the times my texts/posts, because I don't write every time as it has to be :) I don't like to use google translate or other translating software, but even so, sometimes I don't know how a word should be translated from my language to english, so I use it... Rarely  :)

So, indeed, CSV is for Comma Separated Value and TSV is for Tab Separated Value .

Best regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 12:33:18 PM »
Hi Val
Had a look at your program and all works well.
The thing is is, when i tried a usb stick in the back of the machine because of drive letters and came back to the front port usb again, the drive letter changed to usb 2 with the playlist on.
I know you can adjust this on your program , but how do you get the drive letter back to 1.
Is it by reversing back and front ports on the Genos and pull one out before the other and it's a change next time back to 1. It is like on a computer, drive letters change ,but we know what is in that port but a computer inside the Genos has trouble making it's mind up ;D
I hope you know what I am getting at as It is not ideal.
I will keep going till sorted.

All the best
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 12:35:10 PM by ugawoga »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2018, 07:15:44 PM »
If you have the playlist on USB in locked compartment with no other USB sticks in on switch on. It will read USB1. If you then add one to the back it will read USB2. Then if you add one to the front it will read USB3. The one underneath will still read USB1. As I have said many times if you remove sticks before switching off you will have no problem when switching back on. Your USB with playlist on will read USB1 which is what you want. Now you can add other sticks to it. This time add front one first and it is USB2. Now add back one and it is USB3. Easy Peezy and no problem at all.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2018, 10:40:27 PM »
Hi Eileen

YES, I have twigged now," No more musical chairs" ;D
So the Expansion is Usb 1. Funny how it does not appear in the expansion  as it is the same as Usb 1.  Time for a cup o' tea!!! :P

All the best
john
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 10:43:08 PM by ugawoga »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2018, 11:11:49 PM »
YES, I have twigged now," No more musical chairs" ;D
So the Expansion is Usb 1. Funny how it does not appear in the expansion  as it is the same as Usb 1.

No, Expansion files are an the User Drive.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 12:22:55 AM »
Hi Fred

I was having a blonde moment again. Forgot about that :-\
I think the trouble with all of this and the mix ups with drive letters is that some of us try to think too deep.

all the best

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2018, 12:30:39 AM »
I really miss the alphabetical view on the T5. With the push of one button, you could change the view from 10 Reg per page to the entire Reg list in alphabetical order. Now you have to import the songs first, and then bring up the playlist. Too many extra steps. We should have both options.

Sad that Yamaha made it overly complex to build a playlist. I still have trouble adding a few songs from the same folder to an existing playlist. It's counter intuitive compared to regular operating systems.

Guess I really need to sit down and figure out yet anther way of operating a computer - all because one company won't stick with a world standard. And then there's their stupid, "Copy here" command. Smart developers use the word, "Paste"...but I digress.

Hi Lee

I have got it now and I must of thought too deep about this and It is so basic.
No sticks in the slots = usb1 for the undercarriage
Good young Eileen has put me right.

I suppose when you put usb sticks in the computer those drive letters often change about but we know what we put in them.
I must admit the playlist thing is a little confusing  until you put one and one together.

All the Best

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2018, 12:40:02 PM »
Thanks John. Yes, you have to work with the Playlists before you get good at them.

I usually organize my Playlists alphabetically. I wish there was a dedicated button for that. That's where the List View on the T5 is far superior. For most of my shows, I never use a song order. I remember back in my concert band and dance band days as a trumpet player, we would organize our charts for the show because each chart was often three or four pages long, and there was little time between songs. With my current shows, the jog wheel is fast enough for calling up the next Registration (song) from an alphabetical list.

Offline Bud2

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2018, 01:24:17 PM »
What Eileen says is very true but if you want Playlist to work no matter what sticks you have in I have copied the Playlist on all 3 USB sticks, this way it doesn't matter which one is USB1. However you must copy the Playlist correctly, firstly copy the Playlist in Registration mode , which takes a couple of minutes, then press the Playlist button and copy again, this only takes a few seconds. Now remove and replace the copied stick. Repeat for the third USB stick. If you don't do the second copy bit in the Playlist mode the Playlist will not work correctly. I proved this at our keyboard forum meeting in April this year, no one believed me until I demonstrated this, don't forget to remove and replace the stick after the second copy procedure in Playlist mode otherwise the copied stick won't work.
Bill

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2018, 01:36:45 PM »
Really glad the process is so easy, Bill ::)! We still need a dedicated button to sort the list alphabetically. Good luck waiting for Yamaha to supply that! The Japanese hate to admit they screwed up!

The alphabetic list would be great for the Assignment area as well - not to mention every other list in this beast!! Who is the half-wit at Yamaha who thinks random items in a huge list are easier to find than an alphabetical list??? But, I digress...

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2018, 01:51:25 PM »
Really glad the process is so easy, Bill ::)! We still need a dedicated button to sort the list alphabetically. Good luck waiting for Yamaha to supply that! The Japanese hate to admit they screwed up!

The alphabetic list would be great for the Assignment area as well - not to mention every other list in this beast!! Who is the half-wit at Yamaha who thinks random items in a huge list are easier to find than an alphabetical list??? But, I digress...

Random lists are important because not every audience wants to hear songs only in alphabetical order.

If alphabetical order is important, why not just create the playlist in that order?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Bill

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2018, 03:05:09 PM »
If anyone does not require what the Playlist feature was intended for why bother with it at all.

Surely it would be simpler just to scroll through the registrations.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline EileenL

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2018, 03:53:36 PM »
Two good answers, If you think they are half wits at Yamaha then why on earth do you buy there keyboards.
  It is easy enough to put your songs in the order you want them by using the arrows on the page. Why not make up your own gigging list.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2018, 04:11:36 PM »
Hi
Eileen . I am not a half wit  "I am a complete idiot"!!! ;D

Offline Stijn

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2018, 10:28:27 AM »
If you like to sort your playlists alphabetically, make new lists or edit existing ones, this little computer program developed by Vali Maties may be very helpful:

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,46456.0.html

Download, instructions and video are all available in the post.

Just check it out, it's really helpful.

Stijn

I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos