Author Topic: Linking Genos to Songbook+ ?  (Read 23997 times)

Offline Bob88

Linking Genos to Songbook+ ?
« on: October 24, 2018, 02:45:14 PM »
  After some initial difficulty linking my Genos to Songbook+  I have managed to link  100 registrations to the appropriate pdf song files in Songbook+.  Suddenly last evening  none of the links would connect even though the screen indicated the songs  and registrations were linked.   I had to relink all  100  one at a time.  Probably  some error on my part. I  cannot figure  how this happened.  Just wondered if anyone has encountered this problem.  Bob

Pino

Re: Linking Genos to Songbook+ ?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 02:59:45 PM »
It has happened to me at least 3 times whilst out on a gig,
Restarting the keyboard seems to clear it.

Pino

Offline Bob88

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 02:55:37 PM »
  Thanks Pino.    Fortunately I have not used my Genos in a gig so far.  What a disaster that could be.   Cheers.  Bob

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 05:34:32 PM »
I don't use the new-fangled linking method, so can't help you much, but one question: Did you move your registrations? If so, that would break the link.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Bob88

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 01:39:58 PM »
 Fred:   Your suggestion could be part of the problem. I  have the registrations listed in  various genres and on occasion some songs can be considered proper in more than one group and end up in another folder.  The problem occurred again last night and a reboot corrected it.  Certainly not a reliable way to use during a gig.
 Thanks. Bob

Offline Colin D

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 01:50:32 PM »
I have noticed when I have the registrations window open I can use the + or - buttons to move through the songs.  Some of the sheet music changes when moving and some don't?  It don't seem a problem at present, but I'm curious?

Any thoughts
Previous, Technics E44, E66, U90, G7, GX7 G100, Tyros 2, Tyros 5, now Genos,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNozAL1Whf-t4TJY5wPK57Q

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 02:38:48 PM »
Fred:   Your suggestion could be part of the problem. I  have the registrations listed in  various genres and on occasion some songs can be considered proper in more than one group and end up in another folder.  The problem occurred again last night and a reboot corrected it.  Certainly not a reliable way to use during a gig.
 Thanks. Bob

Why do you have registrations in more than one folder? Why not use Playlists for Genres?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Bob88

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 05:45:23 PM »
   Fred: I'm still  trying to find my way around .  Unfortunately I have been unable to
spend as much time on the Genos due to personal issues. I have put my registrations in folders of various genres but I also have one titled "Perform"  which includes the
best registrations selected from those various genres.  Thanks.  Bob

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 06:01:53 PM »
   Fred: I'm still  trying to find my way around .  Unfortunately I have been unable to
spend as much time on the Genos due to personal issues. I have put my registrations in folders of various genres but I also have one titled "Perform"  which includes the
best registrations selected from those various genres.  Thanks.  Bob

Well, rule number one, if you are using the new SongBook linking method, is never move a registration.

So, rather than duplicate, or move, registrations, you should use Playlists, either on the Genos, or by Songbook.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 11:41:09 PM »
I  have the registrations listed in  various genres and on occasion some songs can be considered proper in more than one group and end up in another folder.  The problem occurred again last night and a reboot corrected it.  Certainly not a reliable way to use during a gig.
 Thanks. Bob

I use the new linking method with no problems whatsoever.    I have some 250 Songbook songs linked to Genos registrations.   

I control the gig with SongBook+ on the iPad.   For example, before a gig, i can in advance set up a gig list or playlist in SongBook+, i can set up the order of the selected songs, or change the order on the fly if needed. 

I only need to touch the SongBook+ song and that immediately and automatically brings up the PDF and the corresponding registration on Genos.   I can of course create as many playlists as i want.  If i want to, i can jump from one playlist to another or just follow the given playlist.  I can select by 'artist' by 'genre' by . . . .etc.  in Songbook there are several fields for each song that you can enter in advance and then Songbook sorts them automatically, you can of course change the sort criteria as needed on the fly.   So, for example if you have a request from the audience you can find it very quickly searching by song name or by artist or by genre.    Using the Playlist method in SongBook is extremely easy, however, it takes some work in advance. 

I have read from other posts that Playlists on Genos are somewhat of a challenge, at least at the beginning.  For that reason, i have decided not to use the Genos Playlist feature.  I use the Playlist of SongBook+ only.  So, i cannot comment on Genos playlists.     

Because of my setup,  i do not need separate folders for my registrations.   I have all my registrations in one single place.  Well, that is not entirely true, i have one single folder named 'REGISTRATIONS' at the root of my USB. 

The Genos USB/registrations are automatically sorted by name which makes it very easy to search if needed.  For me it is rare but in the case that i want to do it in reverse and select a registration from Genos, that also brings immediately the corresponding PDF on SongBook.   

This means of course that once you link a Songbook entry to a Genos registration, I never move or rename either one.  Otherwise, the link is broken.

It looks like little by little you are making progress.

Hope this helps.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Bob88

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 04:23:43 PM »
   Thank you Fred and Al. Some different approaches which at least provide more options.  Bob

Offline Tonyo1000

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 11:49:02 AM »
Hello Bob, this happened to me on a recent gig.  In my case I'm using the Quicco Sound mi.1 bluetooth device plugged into the back (Midi in/out) of Genos.  My approach is to create Playlists in Genos and have the song registrations linked to Songbook+ music/chord sheets.

Issue was after turning on Genos, noticed that when selected a song in the Genos Playlist, it was not calling up the music/chord sheet in Songbook+.  Resolution was make sure Songbook+ bluetooth is always engaged after turning on Genos. 

In Songbook+ go to Menu (three dots at top), Other, Bluetooth LE Midi, Bluetooth LE Midi Device, select your blue tooth device (mine is mi.1).

Tony O.
Singer, Keyboard Player, One Man Band
Yamaha Genos
Bose L1 Pro 16's

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 05:56:57 PM »

My approach is to create Playlists in Genos and have the song registrations linked to Songbook+ music/chord sheets.

Tony

Just to give you another alternative.    I have the same setup that you have.

I found that for me it is much easier to create the gig playlist in SongBook+ than in Genos.   You can create/edit the playlists in SongBook+ and control the entire gig from your iPad.

You are probably good now. Again, just to give you another option to explore.

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Bob88

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 06:46:44 PM »
 Thanks for your reply Tony.  Bob

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 10:07:37 PM »
Just to give you another alternative.    I have the same setup that you have.

I found that for me it is much easier to create the gig playlist in SongBook+ than in Genos.   You can create/edit the playlists in SongBook+ and control the entire gig from your iPad.

You are probably good now. Again, just to give you another option to explore.

Yes, this is a popular way. But you still have the same issue that you can’t move a registration once it’s linked.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 01:07:21 AM »
Yes, this is a popular way. But you still have the same issue that you can’t move a registration once it’s linked.

Cheers,
Fred

Agreed.  thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 12:46:08 PM »
Well, rule number one, if you are using the new SongBook linking method, is never move a registration.

So, rather than duplicate, or move, registrations, you should use Playlists, either on the Genos, or by Songbook.

Cheers,
Fred

Plus one here. I use playlists all the time it's the best way and I have never had a registration fail to pull up the corresponding lead sheet.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline pratcli

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2019, 04:37:59 PM »
Anyone have a link in basic but full way of linking songbook+ with genos. Im new to this and want songbook+ to control genos