Author Topic: Voice Source/Voice Destination channel problem when editing a midi file on Genos  (Read 5246 times)

Kaarlo von Freymann

I posted this on another thread some time ago but got no answers, which is not surprising as not everyone reads every thread.
The Genos has the great feature of letting you change which voice of the midi file is assigned to which midi channel. Earlier I had to use a separate program,  Midifile Optimizer, to re-assign channels. That is very important as midi file creators have only been able to agree drums are always on ch 10 (some do not even respect that!)  The rest is utterly arbitrary which makes volume changes of channels on the mixer page during live play back very difficult.

So I  call up the midi file to the midi multi-recording  page.  There are dedicated touch fields for among others Transpose, Delete, Copy and Execute.  Could not be clearer, well done.

But when I delete a channel  I would expect that the channel no more shows the icon of the deleted voice on the deleted channel. My Genos does not delete the icon though it erases the midi information. So I keep unnecessarily asking myself,  was delete successful ?
I have to copy an empty channel  carrying the piano icon to the deleted midi channel in order to have an indication that the bass or whatever on that channel is deleted. Even the piano icon of course is not optimal, as you may have piano icons on non-deleted midi channels. Tyros 5 has the same problem. I there a blanc voice icon ?

Is that how Yamaha thinks is should be or somthing that might be corrected in O.S 1.4  ?

Unfortunately there is no “Move channel” function like on some other keyboards. Not a big deal as  there is a copy and paste function. When you enter “Copy” you  expect to touch  “Source”, then the Channel that you intend to be the source, then touch “Destination” and then the midi channel to which  you want to copy  and finally touch Execute. (Then you have to touch “Delete” and touch the "Source" and touch "Execute" not to have the Voice on two midi channels, which a "Move" function would spare you).

And that is in fact how it works half of the time, but often  my Genos  "all by itself decides" just on touching "Copy" that  channel 2 is the destination and  ch 1 is the source even before I have touched "Source, "Destination" or anything at all except "Copy".  No touch maneuvering  I have tried will let me choose channel  2 as source to be copied to  channel 8 (or whatever excluding channel 10 of course).
This happens with any source midi files. Mine are mostly YAMAHA SOFT because they are very good in deed, some from the PSR site, also goo especially those having DK in the number. 
Is there a way to regain  “the right of choice” ?  In case not,   could that possibly be something we will see corrected in OS 1.4 ?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Kaarlo   

Offline zolux

I do all the transpose, delete, cut, paste and whatever needs to be done to the midi in question on the Cakewalk 9 pro and never had any problem.

I always use channel 2 for Bass, 4 for Melody and 10 for Drums.

Zolux

Offline Ed B

Hi
See page 67 of the Genos reference manual for the midi format that Yamaha uses. If you record a song using a style this is the way the channels are assigned. If you make a style this is the format you should adhere to.
Regards
Ed B
Keep on learning

Kaarlo von Freymann

Hi
See page 67 of the Genos reference manual for the midi format that Yamaha uses. If you record a song using a style this is the way the channels are assigned. If you make a style this is the format you should adhere to.
Regards
Ed B

Thanks zolux and Ed B for your kind answers, awfully I sorry saw them only  just now.

Maybe there is a misunderstanding, I am not referring to creating midi files on Genos, I am referring to letting the Genos play a midi file bought from YAMAHA Soft or downloaded for free from the PSR site (some are excellent). They do need tweeking and channels unfortunately are assigned arbitrarily  except for 10 = drums.

I am aware of the fact that one can change the channel assignment and a lot of other things by software on a PC and I have done so for years after switching from T......s to YAMAHA on MidifileOptimizer which is a good - and at over 200 $ - not exactly cheap solution.

I preferred MidifileOptimizer to  Cakewalk which is far more versatile, frankly because  MO has a userinterface that even I can easily understand  ;) 
If I understood your comments correctly,  Genos works the way I described.
I cannot help feeling once the implementation of the function is there it could have been better and should be consistent.  But maybe the scarcity of replies  indicates we are not supposed to have any such feelings.

Cheers

Kaarlo

Henry Millbrook

About your point 2: You are right. The copy source and destination is a dog's breakfast. Many times I'm pressing the area under the icon to get the source where I want it and the Genos won't cooperate. I've decided it is because the actions were designed by a computer person and not a keyboard user.