Author Topic: Senior Citizens Gig Lists  (Read 25148 times)

Offline Tresclub

Senior Citizens Gig Lists
« on: October 15, 2018, 06:13:32 PM »
Some tome ago, there was a post with several replies concerning gig lists for senior citizen gigs. 
I've searched until I am blue in the face, and I can not find them.  Could someone please point in the right direction. 
Thanks!

Warren

Offline EileenL

Re: Senior Citizens Gig Lists
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 11:15:18 AM »
Deane has done quite a few Gig Disks

https://psrtutorial.com/sty/gigDisks/GD_hammer.html

The following users thanked this post: Denn

Offline Tresclub

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 03:52:42 PM »
Thank you both for your replies, they are sincerely appreciated.

Warren

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 04:16:19 PM »
Warren. the best advice I have is to merely access the average age of your audience, then select upbeat songs from an era when they were 15 to 35 years of age.

Also, you can download my MFD from my USB, which has more than 500 songs on it, mostly for senior jobs in my part of the world.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: adrianed

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 11:57:01 PM »
Here's a link to my 2015 MFD file, which will load into any Yamaha arranger keyboard other than a Genos. https://app.box.com/s/sz49dmmx67q2l0kdkr59dxhv0nd3csy6

Gary
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: Tresclub, Dave Shively, Jacob, adrianed, JohnStarbuck, Jan-Eve, porterma

Offline adrianed

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 04:00:05 AM »
Hi Gary,
I downloaded your MFD file today, I might already have it, you have done a lot for the music site members
I thought you might already be on your boat and away by now
I am sure none of us of want you to go.
I hope you can still keep in contact from wherever you do go
Just looking at your advice about assessing the average age of the oldies, we can make a big error in this.
For instance I am 81 so how old would I expect the old folk to be.
They are the same age as me so I wouldnt think they want to hear for instance Keep the Home Fires Burning or similar vintage, Its too old for them
I think the songs we mainly hear the members playing on this site are the songs of the oldies.
I think sometimes we forget our own age and still think there is an older group
Adrian 

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 05:20:32 AM »
Adrian, most of the folks I performed for two years ago, when I retired, wanted to hear late 50's 60's and 70's music, they all enjoyed upbeat songs, but they mainly loved to dance to the slower 6-8 beat oldies. Sinatra songs were always popular, but they also enjoyed Jimmy Buffett, Al Martino, Dean Martin, and lots of country songs from that era as well. Obviously, this will vary to some degree, but anything older than the early 1950s is just too old for most senior crowds.

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: adrianed, Jan-Eve, pjd

Offline gary3917

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 06:29:20 PM »
even Glen Miller stuff ?
Tyros 5 (finally ),Tyros 4, Korg M3 88,  Kawia MP7,Casio PX 560 Cakewalk Sonar BIAB Cubase 5
Mackie DLM8 Keyboard stereo Powered speakers and subwoofer

Offline Tresclub

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 06:28:52 PM »
Here's a link to my 2015 MFD file, which will load into any Yamaha arranger keyboard other than a Genos. https://app.box.com/s/sz49dmmx67q2l0kdkr59dxhv0nd3csy6
Gary
Got it Gary, thanks a bunch!!

Warren

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 02:25:02 AM »
My retirement home groups are strong on songs from the 50’s and 60’s, as well.  However, I often play “theme” parties, where events are planned around particular songs, such as Broadway show tunes, Italian songs, country, etc. Obviously, that takes some effort to get ready.  On sing-a-long occasions, which many seem to enjoy, I may start with Irving Berlin’s 1911 song, Alexander’s Ragtime Band.  How about Stephen Foster songs?  And, how can a solo act do barbershop harmony songs?  Believe it or not, I get such requests.   

The following users thanked this post: pjd

Audrey Turner

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 12:07:12 AM »
Re: Senior Gig Lists....  I thought you might like a laugh at my expense. 

Shortly after retirement , a friend and I set up a Keyboard Workshop to help us 'oldies' understand the new technology used in the latest keyboards. It wasn't long before I was asked to play for singing / dancing at local pensioners' clubs.  I put together mixed songs and dances to play and these were welcomed, but after awhile I thought playing the same old tunes was a bit boring, so I spent quite some time sorting and changing my music books to include light Classics, soothing songs etc.  However, at the very next 'gig' after the tea-break, I played what I thought was my 'masterpiece' when one senior lady shouted out "when are you going to play Daisy"?  I couldn't help laughing along with the rest of the residents.   Just goes to show you cannot please everyone all of the time.  Needless to say, these days when I'm asked to play, I always ask what sort of music they would like?  ha! ha!

Audrey Turner

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 09:33:43 AM »
Hi
I would like to know when Black Sabbath, Deep Purple ,Rolling Stones, Boston,Chicago etc  are going to be on the Senior citizens gig  list??
Same on Cruise ships . They missed the Baby Boomers generation out.
I always wondered why our flower power music got missed out and being 67 ,surely all my generation could  be in 60s qnd 70s heaven. What no T.Rex, Steve Harley etc.
But even now Reginald Dixon is still played!!!LOL!!! ;D should be kept to American Football half times, :P  or when a touchdown happens H. Keith Emerson for me!!

But even worse Is  the music written today for Ariana's and such like. Kids EDM wind up toy and Moo, moo music ;D

"Can't win em' All"

What is going to happen when the Iron Maiden and Metallica generation get old.???? Music for candle lit dinners!!! ::) "They will all get Indigestion!! 8)

All the best
John :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 09:39:10 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline EileenL

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 01:10:59 PM »
Possibly because when we get older we like to listen to more melodic music with decent lyrics and not the head banging stuff. I think the standards will live forever.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 07:40:28 PM »
Hi Eileen

I knew you would comment on that!! ;D.

60s and 70s music was not all head banging, but the non commercial music was the best.
8)

I will have to get back In my Silver Machine and fly sideways through time

All the Best
Major Tom
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 07:42:11 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline EileenL

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 11:01:27 PM »
Well you never know but maybe when you reach 82 you may feel the same.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2018, 12:20:27 AM »
Hi Eileen

I am 67 now and hope to keep rocking on 8)

All the best
John

Ps I can get into football matches cheaper now and get a heating allowance!! :o

Online MIKEP

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2018, 12:28:25 PM »
I'm 66 and for me it's 50's and 60's. Melody and simplicity!
Mike

Audrey Turner

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 06:07:55 PM »
Hello Everyone - Happy New Year to you all.

Regarding favourite music - I have to say despite playing for seniors, the favourite requests I get are almost equal -

1) Glen Miller era.

2) Bill Bailey Rock-n-Roll era and I'm not ashamed to say I love Rock-n-Roll, play it almost daily particularly
    "Rock Around The Clock" as it brings back many happy memories.  My husband and I once won a prize for
     dancing to that tune.... ah!  those were the days eh?

Audrey Turner

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2019, 01:06:37 PM »
" I can't Get No Satisfaction"!!! 8) ::) ;D
"Rock till yer drop"!!! ;)

" Oh me poor ol' back"!! :-[
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 01:10:41 PM by ugawoga »

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2019, 01:34:18 PM »
Ricky Nelson once wrote and sang a song with the words. "If memories were all I sang, I'd rather drive a truck".

"Garden Party" was the tune.

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2019, 03:44:21 PM »
There are starting to be some seniors from the Viet Nam era at our gigs.  Not long ago, I got a request for Rollin On The River, CCR, at a senior setting.
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2019, 08:23:36 PM »
And I got a request for Maccarena!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page