Author Topic: Tyros 5 registrations, songs and Songbook,  (Read 14212 times)

Offline Colin D

Tyros 5 registrations, songs and Songbook,
« on: October 15, 2018, 09:12:24 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I have just upgraded to a Genos, and would like to know if I can transfer my Tyros 5 registrations and songs to the Genos.  Also get Songbook automatically loading my Ipad songs for each registration.

thank you everyone for the great community on here.

Regards

Colin
Previous, Technics E44, E66, U90, G7, GX7 G100, Tyros 2, Tyros 5, now Genos,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNozAL1Whf-t4TJY5wPK57Q

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Tyros 5 registrations, songs and Songbook,
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 10:47:39 AM »
I have just upgraded to a Genos, and would like to know if I can transfer my Tyros 5 registrations and songs to the Genos.  Also get Songbook automatically loading my Ipad songs for each registration.

thank you everyone for the great community on here.

I simply copied the entire hard drive to a USB stick, and within 15 minutes I had everything, including SongBook, working on the Genos.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Colin D

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 12:02:10 PM »
Thank you Fred for your excellent advice. I get the Genos tomorrow, so will start experimenting to see where to copy the files,

Thank you,

Colin

Offline Colin D

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 12:08:12 PM »
Fred,

Do you plan to do any videos for some of your original tyros procedures please?

~And may I ask where you copied the Tyros registrations and songs.  Do they need linking in the Genos or do they automatically work, is there already a thread on here with this information please?

thanks

Colin
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 12:09:40 PM by Niceonetidy »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 03:11:46 PM »
If you save a copy of your Tyro 5 Hard Drive to your computer and in this and in my case I had bought a 64Gb USB stick ready to put into my GENOS underneath, I then copied the content of my T5 HD to this. Popped it in GENOS and everything worked as it should with all links in tact and all songs playing correctly.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 04:57:43 PM »
Do you plan to do any videos for some of your original tyros procedures please?

And may I ask where you copied the Tyros registrations and songs.  Do they need linking in the Genos or do they automatically work, is there already a thread on here with this information please?

I have no plans to do any more videos as I don't perceive much demand for them.

As Eileen said, just copy the files to a USB stick. They don't need linking, as they'll work the way they did on your Tyros.

And remember, before you do anything, upgrade to the latest version of the OS (1.30).

Once you've got your songs working, then you can take your time to decide how you want to organize things on the Genos. Some issues will be:
-- User drive or USB? I moved everything to the User drive, because I like the simplicity of everything being there. To get all my files re-linked, I used Murray's Registration Manager to change all the file addresses in a batch.
-- Link to Songbook the old way, or the new way? I stuck with the old (Tyros) way, as I had all the midi files created. But you'll likely want to check out the new way to see which one you like better.
-- Playlists? It took me a while to create them, but I like their versatility.
-- Songlists? If you have song files in a folder that you like to have the keyboard play, you'll like the power of Songlists. But they are different from the Tyros, so you'll need to spend 30 minutes figuring them out.

Hope this helps,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 07:15:27 PM »
Congrats on your new Genos.

A couple of comments/suggestions . . . . . 

The new way of linking Genos to iPad (and viceverse) is great.  No more midi files created for this purpose.   I highly recommend this method.

Also, you might want to look into wireless bluetooth connection between Genos and iPad (if you do not have wireless already)

I do not use the Playlist feature of Genos because I control my playlists with SongBook+.  In my opinion it is much easier since i already have all my songs in SongBook.

Enjoy your new Genos. !!!!

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Colin D

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 12:22:10 PM »
Thank you all for your kind messages of support, now to explore the Genos,

Kind regards

Colin

Offline Colin D

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 01:52:02 PM »
Hi Fred,

I got my song and registration sorted, now how to link with Murray’s as I wish to use my old usb method of changing the song on the iPad,  is this difficult please?  I edited the midi file settings too to try and get it the same as the Tyros,

Thank you,

Colin

I have no plans to do any more videos as I don't perceive much demand for them.

As Eileen said, just copy the files to a USB stick. They don't need linking, as they'll work the way they did on your Tyros.

And remember, before you do anything, upgrade to the latest version of the OS (1.30).

Once you've got your songs working, then you can take your time to decide how you want to organize things on the Genos. Some issues will be:
-- User drive or USB? I moved everything to the User drive, because I like the simplicity of everything being there. To get all my files re-linked, I used Murray's Registration Manager to change all the file addresses in a batch.
-- Link to Songbook the old way, or the new way? I stuck with the old (Tyros) way, as I had all the midi files created. But you'll likely want to check out the new way to see which one you like better.
-- Playlists? It took me a while to create them, but I like their versatility.
-- Songlists? If you have song files in a folder that you like to have the keyboard play, you'll like the power of Songlists. But they are different from the Tyros, so you'll need to spend 30 minutes figuring them out.

Hope this helps,
Fred

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Colin D

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 02:43:12 PM »
Other image

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 03:20:16 PM »
I got my song and registration sorted, now how to link with Murray’s as I wish to use my old usb method of changing the song on the iPad,  is this difficult please?  I edited the midi file settings too to try and get it the same as the Tyros,

I actually didn’t make any changes to my midi control settings. The Genis default worked for me. And, if you’re leaving your files on the USB, there should be no need for Murray’s program.

As long as your registrations are loading the midi control file, the link to SongBook should work.

How are you connecting with the iPad?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Colin D

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 03:21:31 PM »
Ok, thanks all, I figured it out,

Kind regards

Colin

Offline Colin D

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 10:01:11 PM »
Fred,

I’m using my USB cable direct from the Genos to IPad with an Apple interface, it’s the type that allows you to charge the IPad at the same time as using it,

Regards

Colin

I actually didn’t make any changes to my midi control settings. The Genis default worked for me. And, if you’re leaving your files on the USB, there should be no need for Murray’s program.

As long as your registrations are loading the midi control file, the link to SongBook should work.

How are you connecting with the iPad?

Cheers,
Fred

Offline Colin D

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 11:12:40 AM »
Hi again,

I relocated my Genos to another room, and now the Ipad song change has failed.  I guess I did not save the Midi file, so will have to figure it out again,

Cheers,

Colin

Offline Colin D

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 11:33:33 AM »
Hi again,

I relocated my Genos to another room, and now the Ipad song change has failed.  I guess I did not save the Midi file, so will have to figure it out again,

Cheers,

Colin

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 05:51:22 PM »
The new way of linking Genos to iPad (and viceverse) is great.  No more midi files created for this purpose.   I highly recommend this method.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Colin D

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 07:05:10 PM »
I tried the new WiFi method sand get an error with the connection?

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 07:44:21 PM »
The linking method i was referring to, has nothing to do with WiFi.

It is the new way to synch SongBook+ to Genos registrations.  With this new method you do not need midi files to control the registrations.    It links without midi files.     You can bring up the Genos registrations  by bringing up the PDF from the iPad/SongBook and the other way around when you select a Genos registrations it brings up the PDF on the iPad/SongBook+.

Before you establish this link, you need to connect the Genos to the iPad first.  I believe you were using a physical cable with camera adapter.

This linking method eliminates the need for midi files but it does not eliminate the cable.    The linking method works with the way you were connecting Genos and iPad using a physical cable with Apple Camera connector.  You do not necessarily need wifi for the linking of registrations. 

There are two different things here.  One is the connection between iPad to Genos (cable, wifi, wireless, etc) and the other is the linking of SongBook entries to Genos registrations.

So, first, establish the connection between Genos and iPad/SongBook+ and then establish the linking method between SongBook+ and Genos registrations.

If you want to eliminate the cable, then you can try wifi and or a bluetooth wireless adapter, but i would try that later after you have this working first. 

Hope this helps.

thanks

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 07:56:53 PM by Al Ram »
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

The following users thanked this post: Colin D

Offline overover

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2018, 09:15:26 PM »
@Niceonetidy
Hi Colin,

here the link to download the additional Manual for "Genos & Songbook+": :)

http://www.baum-software.ch/downloads/OtherManuals/Manual_Yamaha_Genos_SongBook.pdf

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Colin D

Offline Colin D

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2018, 08:52:13 AM »
I must get this method working for new songs, thank you for the support.

The linking method i was referring to, has nothing to do with WiFi.

It is the new way to synch SongBook+ to Genos registrations.  With this new method you do not need midi files to control the registrations.    It links without midi files.     You can bring up the Genos registrations  by bringing up the PDF from the iPad/SongBook and the other way around when you select a Genos registrations it brings up the PDF on the iPad/SongBook+.

Before you establish this link, you need to connect the Genos to the iPad first.  I believe you were using a physical cable with camera adapter.

This linking method eliminates the need for midi files but it does not eliminate the cable.    The linking method works with the way you were connecting Genos and iPad using a physical cable with Apple Camera connector.  You do not necessarily need wifi for the linking of registrations. 

There are two different things here.  One is the connection between iPad to Genos (cable, wifi, wireless, etc) and the other is the linking of SongBook entries to Genos registrations.

So, first, establish the connection between Genos and iPad/SongBook+ and then establish the linking method between SongBook+ and Genos registrations.

If you want to eliminate the cable, then you can try wifi and or a bluetooth wireless adapter, but i would try that later after you have this working first. 

Hope this helps.

thanks