Author Topic: USB midi file transfer query  (Read 8490 times)

Rumney

USB midi file transfer query
« on: October 14, 2018, 08:03:57 AM »
So I have tried to import a midi file via USB without success.

I have an Apple iMac and a Genos. I have downloaded a midi file from the Yamaha Musicsoft store onto my iMac. I have inserted a USB pen drive into my Genos (top right USB) and formatted it. I have connected the pen drive to my iMac and copied over the midi file and I have confirmed that the file transferred correctly. I have returned the pen drive to my Genos and then gone into the Genos System menu. I can see the USB drive, which is shown as USB 2, but the drive is showing as empty.

Note: There is another USB drive showing (USB 1) but this is a store fitted internally connected drive that contains files provided by the instruments supplier. These file are accessible and work correctly.

What am I doing wrong  :-\

Carlos84

Re: USB midi file transfer query
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 08:34:08 AM »
i have the same problems  ???

Offline zionip

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 08:50:10 AM »
Genos OS has file type masking functionality built-in, so you cannot see song file (usually .mid for MIDI files, .mp3, or .wav for audio files) if you are not in the Song mode.

Press the bright white backlit SONG button on the right hand side of Genos top panel to call up the Song Player display.  Press "Dual" on the upper left portion of the screen to bring up Dual Player mode.  On the MIDI Song Player, press the empty Song title and get to USB2, then you should be able to find your MIDI file in the respective location of USB2.

Thanks,
Paul

Rumney

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 09:12:53 AM »
Thanks Paul - that worked a treat but seems a very convoluted method (not questioning your advice - just the way that Yamaha seems to have implemented file imports). It works - that’s the main thing :)

I don’t get the whole file masking thing!! Why mask the very file type (midi) that might be most used (rhetorical question).

Next question, sorry to be a pain, but can I now transfer this song into my playlist and the Genos memory so that I don’t have to use the pen drive every time that I want to access this song?

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 09:49:02 AM by Rumney »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 11:24:47 AM »
You must be in song mode to see files just as on the Tyros keyboards.
On Genos press Song B on main screen which always defaults to Midi. Now select USB 2 and you will see the song.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 03:44:50 PM »
... I don’t get the whole file masking thing!! Why mask the very file type (midi) that might be most used (rhetorical question)...

Because many people would be trying to load a style or Multi Pad into the song sequencer, or load a song file as a Multi Pad or style file.  File masking goes all the way back to the Atari days, it's nothing new.

Joe H
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 03:46:22 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline zionip

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 04:07:09 PM »
Next question, sorry to be a pain, but can I now transfer this song into my playlist and the Genos memory so that I don’t have to use the pen drive every time that I want to access this song?

Please follow the instructions at the bottom of P.38 and top of P.39 on the section of "Copying or moving files" of the Genos Owner's Manual version D ( https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/7/1130977/genos_en_om_d0.pdf ):

You can copy or cut a file and paste it to another location (folder). You can also copy a folder (without move it) by using the same procedure.

1 Call up the appropriate File Selection display, on which the desired files/folders are shown. (In your case, you must be in Song mode to copy song files)

2 Touch (File Edit) to call up the File Edit pop-up window.

3 Touch "Copy" or "Move" in the File Management menu, to call up the display for selecting the desired files/folders.

4 Select the desired files/folders by touching each item.  One or more files/folders can be selected (highlighted). To cancel the selection, touch the same item again.  Touch [Select All] to select all items indicated on the current display including theother pages. To cancel the selection, touch [All Off].

5 Touch "Copy" or "Move" at the top of the display, to call up the display for selecting the destination.

6 Select the desired destination (path) to paste the files/folders.

7 Touch [Copy here] or [Move here] to paste the files/folders you’ve selected in step 4.

The pasted file/folder appears on the display at the appropriate position among the files in alphabetical order.

Thanks,
Paul

Rumney

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 04:33:10 PM »
Thanks Paul - once again I am indebted to you  :)

Roland

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 11:25:09 PM »
@rumney: The "file type masking" Paul is talking about also applies to every other file type. Meaning that if you want to find a Style, you need to be in "Style" mode. Or if you're looking for a "voice" you're in voice mode, etc.

But once you play with that a couple of times, you will find it quite easy to get used to.

Cheers, Roland

Rumney

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 07:09:00 AM »
Thanks Paul & Roland - It’s nice to find such a friendly and helpful forum :)