Author Topic: USB floppy disc emulator  (Read 15649 times)

maxcocoa

USB floppy disc emulator
« on: October 11, 2018, 09:44:54 PM »
I have a psr 9000 to which I have fitted a usb emulator to try and bring up to date this fabulous keyboard, as far as I am aware it should just swop over no problem. I have a stick with tyros styles on it, but when place in the usb slot "no disk error" appears. I am not an expert, has anyone any ideas as to what is the problem. maxcocoa

Offline Normanfernandez

Re: USB floppy disc emulator
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 10:11:00 PM »
Based on a Video I saw online.
The 3 Dots on the USB Emulator should go away when you've successful Plugged a Pen Drive. " Display"

Also Tyros Styles should be SFF1

- I'm not totally sure.  Hope someone here helps.
Norman
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 10:23:01 PM by Normanfernandez »
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 11:23:42 PM »
USB drives used in the emulator should be FIRST formatted with the software that came with the emulator. A normal formatted USB stick can't be read that's why you get the error message. Later you can copy (again with using this software) files, styles, pads, voices you name it to the correct formatted stick.
Mind that each 'virtual' floppy only can hold 1.4 mb max. Usually about 30 styles.

Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

maxcocoa

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 07:36:16 PM »
I am not sure, is it the emulator itself which has to be formatted or the usb stick with the styles on it, if the usb stick is formatted I will lose all the styles on it. I am sorry  Iam not very good with computer speak.

Offline keyplayer

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 08:09:43 PM »
Hi, perhaps you could move all the styles onto your computer, format the USB then move the styles back onto the USB stick again and then see if it is recognised. Would that work?
Pam

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 10:05:31 PM »
I am not sure, is it the emulator itself which has to be formatted or the usb stick with the styles on it, if the usb stick is formatted I will lose all the styles on it. I am sorry  Iam not very good with computer speak.

I have been using a floppy emulator for over ten years in a PSR 2000 almost every day. I also have send info about it to hundreds of people.
A pendrive (USB stick) needs to be formatted with the software that comes with the emulator BEFORE you can use it. That software formats the USB stick in 100 virtual floppies. You can NOT use a normal formatted USB.
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 11:36:38 PM »
I have a psr 9000 to which I have fitted a usb emulator to try and bring up to date this fabulous keyboard, as far as I am aware it should just swop over no problem. I have a stick with tyros styles on it, but when place in the usb slot "no disk error" appears. I am not an expert, has anyone any ideas as to what is the problem. maxcocoa

Hi maxcocoa,

what is the exact TYPE of that Floppy Emulator device?

Some of these emulators use a standard formatted USB stick (one Partition in FAT32 format) and one FOLDER on the stick for each virtual Floppy disk. BUT other emulators will only work, if the USB stick has as special format (one PARTITION for each virtual Floppy disk).

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 02:13:10 AM »
There are many different emulators even for different Yamaha keyboards. Look up on Ebay Korg-Yamaha emulators and you have to pick the one that suits your keyboard. The price is about 30 US$.
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline Joe H

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 03:21:25 AM »
When you format the USB drive it will create 100 virtual floppies with a FAT12 format.  The virtual floppies are the equivalent to 1.44MB each.  So this means you will have 100 floppy disks installed at once.  You just select the floppy you want from the front panel of the emulator.

When you plug the USB into the computer you must use the software to access which floppy you want to view for the content.  I used an emulator with my Atari TT030 until I sold it.  I still have one installed in my vintage Yamaha MDF3 MIDI Data Filer/sequencer. I use the GOTEK with the 2-digit display.

I owe a big thanks to Dick for his help... he's da man when it comes to floppy emulators!

Joe H
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 03:23:35 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

The following users thanked this post: Dick Rector

maxcocoa

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 04:56:29 PM »
Thank you all for the info which is all great, the emulator is a Gotec and came with no instructions or installation disc. I fitted the emulator and is working but not communicating with keyboard. I will now format the usb stick after downloading the styles which are on it to the computer and see how that turns out.

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 09:11:24 PM »
Thank you all for the info which is all great, the emulator is a Gotec and came with no instructions or installation disc. I fitted the emulator and is working but not communicating with keyboard. I will now format the usb stick after downloading the styles which are on it to the computer and see how that turns out.

You should format it with the software that came with the Gotek. Normal formatting is useless and will not work as I have said before.
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950