Author Topic: I wish the list of assignable functions would not depend on button category  (Read 9947 times)

Online reya

Hi all,

Currently Yamaha does not seem to treat all assignable buttons equally.
By which I mean that the list of functions that can be assigned to each category of buttons seems to differ.

There may be others, but I consider the following 4 categories as assignable buttons
1) The Rotary SP/Assignable button at the left of Genos
2) The Assignable buttons A,B,C,D,E,F at the right of Genos
3) The FOOT pedals (Externals pedals also known as sustain pedals connected to the back of Genos)
4) The buttons on MFC10 like MIDI devices, connected through MIDI.

In the case of categories 3 an 4, I am of course only referring to simple buttons and not to expression pedal like devices. It is normal that the latter should have different functions assignable to them such as "volume" or "Wah Wah" ... which in their turn, are of not much use to simple buttons

I do not think that the reason that Yamaha chooses to walk this path can be a technical one, as internally, Genos, is 'only' a computer .....

Myself I am using a PK6 bas pedal. I use it sometimes for playing bass, and sometimes as a MIDI controller. In the latter case, configured in Genos as MFC10.
As MIDI controller, it serves me well for triggering rhythm breaks, registration button advancing...   

But I had also loved to use it as trigger for the new 'Half Bar Fill In' and for the 'organ rotary slow/fast'

And I currently cannot do that, because those assignments are not in the MFC10 list of assignable functions. A pity !

So I wish Yamaha would make that list of assignable functions equal for all button categories. It may also be easier for them to manage as well ....

Rudy
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

Offline Yinon

But I had also loved to use it as trigger for the new 'Half Bar Fill In'
[/b]

Sorry for asking a stupid question, I couldn't find too many answers here in the forum and I'm planing to review the manual later today.
Can you put in few words about this? How does it work?
Is this allowing time signature change? (like 2/4 added to 4/4)

Thanks

Kaarlo von Freymann

Hi Reya and Yinon,

I am sorry you got no replies. Actully  I wanted to read them and therefore came back here.  These days keyboards are so complicated creations that there will be questions  to which we do not get answers even on a forum like this which is clearly above all others in scope,  number of members & threads,  posts and subjects  and most important available expertise and helpfulness of the members. It does not happen often but I have asked help about a two things, the posts were read by many, but no-one has been able to come up with an answer.  My sarcastic wife tried to console me,  "My Dear, have you forgotten the Italian proverb "One fool may ask more than seven wise men can answer ;D

Cheers
Kaarlo

Offline voodoo

Rudy,

I absolutely agree to your wish. I also wish that all parameters would be accessible to all controllers in a unique fashion. Some functions are also available for MFC10-midi-control, others only for direct foot switch, and many others are not accessible at all.

There is an assignable control parameter AC1 listed in each DSP effect parameter table. This is intended to be controlled by a midi controller in real time. But guess what? This AC1 parameter is not assignable to any controller in all Yamaha arrangers. They simply did not implement this feature.

Ulii
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline DerekA

There is an assignable control parameter AC1 listed in each DSP effect parameter table. This is intended to be controlled by a midi controller in real time. But guess what? This AC1 parameter is not assignable to any controller in all Yamaha arrangers. They simply did not implement this feature.

From the data manual, there's a SYSEX message 03 n 10 which sets the value of AC1 on an insertion effect. Should be accessible through a controller than can emit SYSEX messages, or by inserting to a MIDI file. Anyone tried it?
Genos

Offline voodoo

From the data manual, there's a SYSEX message 03 n 10 which sets the value of AC1 on an insertion effect. Should be accessible through a controller than can emit SYSEX messages, or by inserting to a MIDI file. Anyone tried it?

Yes, I think with Sysex messages you can control every DSP parameter using the XG standard protocol.

You also can set a parameter by Sysex, that binds AC1 to mod wheel. Thereafter you can control AC1 by using the mod wheel. But this cannot be saved to a voice. So it is not usable for practical cases.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline DerekA

You also can set a parameter by Sysex, that binds AC1 to mod wheel. Thereafter you can control AC1 by using the mod wheel. But this cannot be saved to a voice. So it is not usable for practical cases.

Uli

I didn't know that .... very odd that it doesn't save to a voice! Perhaps it can be manually inserted using a utility?

I think this should be possible because the Tyros cannot save custom effect parameters (which are SYSEX) into a registration, but if the registration contains these SYSEX messages then it uses them. So being unable to save doesn't necessarily mean being unable to read back.
Genos