Author Topic: Genos - V Console and Mobile sheets  (Read 10269 times)

Offline Oxford1035

Genos - V Console and Mobile sheets
« on: October 06, 2018, 05:50:23 AM »
Hi all,

l'm about to add V console to my Genos. l'm also finally going to get round to adding Mobile sheets and download all my music to PDF. l know the V console connects to the Genos using the host USB port on the back of the Genos,but wonder about connecting Mobile sheets as, as far as l'm aware that would also connect to the host USB port. l want to be able to have the registrations change with the music on Mobile sheets. l had a chat with John Beesley from V console, and John told me l'd have to use one of the other USB ports to connect the Mobile sheets to. He also said l'd have to change the midi template.

This is all a bit double dutch to me. Does anyone know how l can connect it all up and how to do the midi template etc?

Kind regards,

Russ

The following users thanked this post: Taffinator

Offline zionip

Re: Genos - V Console and Mobile sheets
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 09:03:16 AM »
Hi Russ,

If you do not have V-Console, you can just connect your Android tablet and the "To Host" port at the back of your Genos using a USB printer cable for MobileSheets Pro.

However, since you will be using V-Console, you will have to use the "To Host" port of the Genos to connect to the Windows 10 laptop / tablet running V-Console for Genos software using a USB printer cable to configure Genos as the first/upper keyboard.  The basic V-Console for Genos setup requires a USB connection between the Genos and the V-Console laptop / tablet, not regular 5-pin MIDI connections.

With V-Console using the "To Host" USB port of Genos, then you will need to use 5-pin MIDI connection between Genos and your Android tablet for MobileSheets Pro connection. 

V-Console talks to the Genos through USB2 port 8 through the Genos "To Host" USB connection.  If you have a second/lower keyboard, and a MIDI bass pedal connected to V-Console, you have to make sure you use different MIDI channels for them.  For example, the second keyboard can use MIDI channel 1, and the MIDI bass pedal can use MIDI channel 3.

Your Android tablet will have to plug into a powered USB hub (to supply power to the USB-to-MIDI interface), and you will have to plug in a USB-to-MIDI interface such as iRig MIDI 2, or you can order a USB-to-MIDI adapter from John Beesley, so your Android tablet can talk to the Genos through wired MIDI connections.  This connection method is very reliable, but cumbersome due to additional parts and cables.

You can also use a bluetooth MIDI adapter to make the MIDI connection between the Genos and the Android tablet much easier without having to run MIDI cables.  Examples of bluetooth MIDI adapters are Yamaha MD-BT01, QuiccoSound mi.1, Zivix PUC+ etc.

I do not use MobileSheets Pro, so I cannot help you with the MobileSheets Pro configuration.  I use SongBook+ through Yamaha MD-BT01 bluetooth wireless MIDI adapter plugged into MIDI B in/out ports of Genos, using MIDI channel 11 on SongBook+.  Linking Genos registrations with the corresponding PDFs is very straight forward.  Using this method of MIDI connection, there is no need to change the MIDI template.

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 04:00:36 PM by zionip »

Offline Oxford1035

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 04:19:31 AM »
Hi Paul,

Many thanks for taking the time to post such an in depth reply.

l will indeed be using a lower keyboard and bass pedals.  l always end up feeling well out my depth and comfort zone with these scenarios as l'm not too hot on computer stuff or anything to do with midi on the keyboard, so l guess the simplest route would be best for me.

l'll be using a windows 10, 12" tablet made by linx to use with the Mobile sheets. Sorry for my ignorance, but is the powered usb hub something like what John supplies with the V console to link the tablet and keyboard set ups? From what you suggest the Yamaha MD-BT01 bluetooth looks the easiest way. Would that work with my Windows 10 tablet? If it does l presume it would also work with the changing the registrations etc

Kind regards,

Russ

Offline zionip

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 05:12:49 AM »
Hi Paul,

Many thanks for taking the time to post such an in depth reply.

l will indeed be using a lower keyboard and bass pedals.  l always end up feeling well out my depth and comfort zone with these scenarios as l'm not too hot on computer stuff or anything to do with midi on the keyboard, so l guess the simplest route would be best for me.

l'll be using a windows 10, 12" tablet made by linx to use with the Mobile sheets. Sorry for my ignorance, but is the powered usb hub something like what John supplies with the V console to link the tablet and keyboard set ups? From what you suggest the Yamaha MD-BT01 bluetooth looks the easiest way. Would that work with my Windows 10 tablet? If it does l presume it would also work with the changing the registrations etc

Kind regards,

Russ

Hi Russ,

I assume you have not bought the V-Console for Genos yet.  You mentioned that you will have a dual keyboard plus bass pedal setup for V-Console.

I purchased the software only, and I configured the hardware on my own, including the Windows 10 Pro laptop, all the hardware parts needed for the dual keyboard plus bass pedal setup.

Are you buying just the software (£399), or the full product (£699) for Genos, and add either of the following cable kits?

Both the following cable kits include a powered 4-port USB 3.0 hub:
V-Console Cable Kit 4 (outside UK) - £64.97 <= 1 USB printer cable for Genos, 2 x USB-to-MIDI adapters, each for second keyboard & pedal (usually bass pedals have only MIDI, no USB ports).
V-Console Cable Kit 5 (outside UK) - £59.97  <= 1 USB printer cable for Genos, 1 USB printer cable for the second keyboard, 1 USB-to-MIDI adapter for the bass pedal.

If you do not want to configure V-Console hardware and software, which could be quite complicated if you are not well versed in computer hardware / software configuration.  You will be better off buying the full product plus cable kit 4 or 5, depending on whether your second keyboard has USB To-Host port or not:
If your second keyboard has USB To-Host port, your V-Console cost will be £699 + £59.97 = £758.97, or US$996.04.
If your second keyboard has MIDI ports only, your V-Console cost be be £699 + £64.97 = £763.97, or US$1002.60.

Your last question "From what you suggest the Yamaha MD-BT01 bluetooth looks the easiest way. Would that work with my Windows 10 tablet? If it does l presume it would also work with the changing the registrations etc"

Answer:  According to http://support.linxtablets.com/Products/Linx12X64/Downloads/Linx_12x64_User_Guide.pdf Linx 12x64 tablet quick guide, your tablet has built-in bluetooth 4.0.  So your tablet should be able to connect to the Yamaha MD-BT01 bluetooth wireless MIDI adapter.  If you configure Mobile Sheets for Windows properly, the app should work with the Genos registrations.

Thanks,
Paul

The following users thanked this post: Oxford1035

Offline reya

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 08:30:34 AM »
Hi Russ,

Setting up Mobilesheets to work with Genos is not difficult.
Just choose Genos as MIDI device in Mobilesheets (see attached image)

I am not that sure about using bluetooth MIDI though. I know it is currently not supported by MobilesheetsPro on Android. No idea about the Windows 10 version.
Maybe you could post that question on the Mobilesheets forum

https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum/index.php

Regards
Rudy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

The following users thanked this post: Oxford1035

Offline zionip

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 10:36:43 AM »
Hi Russ,

According to this MobileSheets Pro discussion thread, a MobileSheet Pro user found that the Yamaha BT-MD01 (a typo, should be MD-BT01) Bluetooth Module works with MobileSheet Pro running on his Windows 10 laptop/tablet:
https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum/showthread.php?tid=4326

There was a PSRTutorial discussion thread about Tyros 4 and MobileSheets on Surface Book 2 running Windows 10 working successfully with the Yamaha MD-BT01  "Has anyone had Success with Yamaha's Bluetooth MD-BT01 or UD-BT01?": http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,43741.0.html

As Rudy mentioned before, bluetooth MIDI is currently still not supported by MobileSheets Pro on Android tablets.

Disclaimer:  I use Songbook+ on iPad Pro 12.9, which works with the Yamaha MD-BT01.  I do not use MobileSheets Pro, I just found the above information but cannot confirm it personally.

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 10:40:59 AM by zionip »

Offline Oxford1035

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 01:38:37 AM »
Hi Paul and Rudy,

Many thanks again for your replies.

l already have the V console Paul. l bought it when l had a tyros 5 and when it came as the whole package, as the software only version wasn't available at that time. As you point out, it has everything needed to make it easier for someone like me to connect everything together. l think l would probably have given the console a miss if l'd had to wire it all up by trying to configure midi etc. l've had my Genos since the end of last year, but for various reasons l haven't got round to adding the V console yet. l've now ordered the upgrade to use the console with the Genos. Unfortunately l'll be away for a week in a couple of days, so will have to wait until l get back to be able connect it all up. The upgrade kit should be here when l return, so l'll be able to get it up and running.

As far as the mobile sheets, l'm torn whether to go down the bluetooth route or hard wired. as it's for home use only l'm wondering whether hard wiring it the Linx tablet to the Genos would be the more reliable way as l'm a bit wary if the bluetooth would lose connection etc. After reading your first post Paul, l did a search and found this -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-to-Midi-Cable-Interface-Converter-Adapter-Music-Piano-Keyboard-For-PC-Laptop-/173177391696

Is this the right interface and would it be simple enough to connect the Mobile Sheets using this method?

Kind regards,

Russ

Offline zionip

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 02:16:57 AM »
As far as the mobile sheets, l'm torn whether to go down the bluetooth route or hard wired. as it's for home use only l'm wondering whether hard wiring it the Linx tablet to the Genos would be the more reliable way as l'm a bit wary if the bluetooth would lose connection etc. After reading your first post Paul, l did a search and found this -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-to-Midi-Cable-Interface-Converter-Adapter-Music-Piano-Keyboard-For-PC-Laptop-/173177391696

Is this the right interface and would it be simple enough to connect the Mobile Sheets using this method?

Hi Russ,

Yes, you can use this USB-to-MIDI adapter between your Linx tablet and Genos for your Mobile Sheets Pro connection. 

If you plug the USB end of the USB-to-MIDI adapter to a USB port of your Linx tablet directly, the Linx tablet should supply the needed power to the USB-to-MIDI adapter and so there is no need for a powered USB hub.  If you have to plug the USB-to-MIDI adapter into a USB hub which plugs into your Linx tablet because you run out of USB ports, please make sure the USB hub is a powered USB hub.

Since you already have the V-Console for Tyros dual keyboard with bass pedal setup, the so called upgrade kit is just a USB drive containing the V-Console 2.1.4 software with the new Showcase registration collection.  I wonder why you did not download it to save some money and get it right away.  Perhaps you are afraid of making any mistakes when doing the upgrade all by yourself?

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Oxford1035

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 03:58:01 AM »
Hi Paul,

Many thanks for reply. Just before l read your message, l was going through the cables that came with the V console and found a usb to 2 midi out/in connectors. Without going through the manual l can't remember what they were for, but l remember it wasn't needed for the configuration l'm using, so l presume l can  use this to connect the tablet to the Genos as you suggest. Do l connect both the In and Out Midi plugs into the Genos or just the In Midi plug?

Thanks for the heads up regarding the powered hub part. As far as l know, l'll need 2 usb ports. One obviously to connect from the tablet to the Genos and l need another for a wi fi dongle. l found out l can make up a set of switches to turn the pages on Mobile sheets, and will be doing that by connecting the switches using the wi fi dongle. The Linx has 2 usb ports, one a full size port and the other a micro usb port. After your hub advice l had a quick search and found l can buy a micro usb to usb adapter cable to connect the wi fi dongle to. If l ever did need to add any more usb, l'll make sure to buy a powered hub as you suggest.

Regarding the V console upgrade, l needed to buy the upgrade to the Genos from the Tyros, which if l remember correctly was £70 when it was first released by John for the Genos. When l bought the V console for the Tyros it was the original version which was then updated to version 1.0.153. l managed to update that okay by following the video on the V console website. When the update came out, John added a further 50 pages to the manual using PDF. After speaking to John l found out he's updated the manual to include the latest updates with all the extra pages, so l decided l wanted to have a hard copy of the manual instead of part hard copy, part PDF.

kind regards,

Russ

Offline zionip

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 04:21:08 AM »
Do l connect both the In and Out Midi plugs into the Genos or just the In Midi plug?

Hi Russ,

Yes, you want to connect both the In and Out MIDI connectors into Genos MIDI B In and Out ports for bi-directional operations.

I am using SongBook+ as example for explanation, since I do not use MobileSheets Pro - the idea is the same for MobileSheets Pro:

MIDI In port on Genos is connected for:
  a.  You can open a Song/PDF file on SongBook+ on iPad, SongBook+ can send MIDI commands to select the corresponding registration in the connected Genos. So you don’t have to manually switch anything on keyboard during your performance to start playing the next song.
  b.  You can play a MIDI file on SongBook+ on iPad, the MIDI signals / messages go from iPad to MIDI in port of Genos, and the Genos plays the proper sounds. 

MIDI Out port on Genos is connected for:
You can select a registration bank / registration on Genos, Genos then calls up the associated Song/PDF on SongBook+ on iPad.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Oxford1035

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 12:38:54 AM »
Hi Paul,

Thank you once again. l appreciate all your help and now know what l'm doing with it all  :)So once l'm back from my travels l'm looking forward to setting it all up.

Kind regards,

Russ

gerarde

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 06:18:51 PM »
Hi Paul,

Since you are using V-Console, if I am playing a style on the Genos that is transposed to another key, and I select a voice on the V-Console, like one from FAVORITES, will that sound play in the key I transposed to?
On Genos, MASTER TRANSPOSE is supposed to transpose everything except audio files.

Regards,
Gerard

Offline bees2211

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 08:37:36 AM »
Hi Gerard,

If you are using V-Console with the Genos (or Tyros) on its own you can just use the transpose controls on the keyboard as normal. In 'Single' mode V-Console doesn't display the transpose controls at all since the keyboard is handling it. So all the V-Console voices will stay in sync without doing anything else.

Once you add a second keyboard and/or pedals V-Console needs to keep everything in sync by having control over the transpose since the transpose buttons on the main keyboard don't affect the second keyboard or pedals. When you change the transpose on the V-Console it changes the Master Transpose on the Genos to match via a MIDI signal so everything stays together. Even though, with this kind of setup, you would change the transpose on the V-Console panel, both + and - transpose can be assigned to a foot controller or other MIDI signal to make it easier to alter while playing.

If you use the same transposition on a song every time you can store the Tranpose settings in the registrations on V-Console as well to keep everything right.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

John

Offline zionip

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 05:04:17 AM »
Hi Paul,

Since you are using V-Console, if I am playing a style on the Genos that is transposed to another key, and I select a voice on the V-Console, like one from FAVORITES, will that sound play in the key I transposed to?
On Genos, MASTER TRANSPOSE is supposed to transpose everything except audio files.

Regards,
Gerard

Hi Gerard,

I forwarded your question to John Beesley, the developer of V-Console.  I am glad that he already posted the answer to your question above.

Thanks,
Paul

gerarde

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 12:13:50 PM »
Hi Paul,

I did not realize he was a member on here too.
Yes, he answered me from the website too.
Now I have to read the manual more in depth to see if it is what I need.

Thanks again,
Gerard