Author Topic: Has anyone got a good mellotron sound?  (Read 5260 times)

ReachingHigh

Has anyone got a good mellotron sound?
« on: September 30, 2018, 07:27:54 PM »
Hi!

I'm working with a friend on some songs with a 70īs prog rock feel. We would like a section with a mellotron sound. Has anyone created a good mellotron-sound for PSR970 that you would like to share?

Any help is appreciated!

The intro to Genesis Watcher of the skies is a good example.
Beatles Strawberry Fields Forever is another one

Offline Joe H

Re: Has anyone got a good mellotron sound?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 11:46:58 PM »
Look on eBay for SF2 samples of what you are wanting. You can create a custom pack from Sound Font 2 samples.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

ReachingHigh

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 06:56:25 PM »
Thanks for your reply!
I do have some sf2samples that I have used with my MIDI-keyboard connected to my computer. But over the years I`ve only used my different PSR-keyboards mainly to play the preset sounds together with midifiles.So when you say that I can create a custom pack from the sf2`s does that mean that I can save them as "user sounds" on my psr?

Could you direct to some tutorials how make this happen?  :)

/Marten

Offline Joe H

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 08:32:56 PM »
... So when you say that I can create a custom pack from the sf2`s does that mean that I can save them as "user sounds" on my psr?

Could you direct to some tutorials how make this happen?  :)

/Marten

I am creating several Voice packs in YEM from SF2 samples. All you have to do is load the SF2 files into YEM and they will be converted to custom Voices when you load them into your keyboard. Having said that... they will probably need some tweaking.  Things that I'm finding need adjusting to be compatible with our arrangers are the following:

1. Adjusting the COMMON parameters in YEM for correct octave with the Left, R1 and R2 Voices. 
2. Adjusting the COMMON Volume for the above Voices
3. Assigning a DSP and the DSP send level for each Voice
4. Sometimes you will have to make an up or down octave shift in the Element parameter settings.
5. Sometimes (but most often NOT) you may want to tweak the Amplitude Envelope and Filter Envelope and Resonance in the Element parameters.

Hint: The COMMON Parameters in YEM are converted to the Voice Set file (.vce) when the sounds are loaded into your keyboard.  So you might want to start there to determine those settings by first loading the "raw" SF2 samples into your board and make adjustments to the Voice Set on the keyboard.  But unfortunately you wont be able to "Import" those .vce files into YEM.  Maybe Yamaha will fix this in the future, but for now it is the best approach to tinker with the Voice Set parameters because you will be able to hear the changes on the keyboard.  But be aware the Voice Set will allow you full access to ALL the DSPs and Harmony/Arpeggios settings... but YEM is far more limited in selection... which is another shortcoming of YEM. 

One final thought... Play your raw samples in a style part as well as the Left, R1 and R2 to be sure they are in the correct register (octave) and Volume to be interchangeably with the Preset Voices... this is important.  Many 3rd party developers overlook the "compatibility" issue when programming their custom Voice packs. We want the custom Voices be compatible as possible without have to change Volume or an Octave shift by editing the style or when building the OTS for a style.

Hope this helps you on your way to created a custom Voice pack in YEM.

Joe H
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:35:59 PM by Joe H »

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

ReachingHigh

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 08:34:29 PM »
Thanks for your help!I've had YEM downloaded but not really tried to use it. But it seems like a good thing.

I had a quick look at it and couldn't find out how to load the SF2 into YEM...

I will check it out the coming days and see if I can learn how to use it.

/Marten

Offline Joe H

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 11:26:48 PM »
There is a built-in manual.  It explains things pretty well.

You first have to create a NEW Pack... then "Import" the SF2 files as "Content".  It's pretty simple to do.  If you don't have experience with Voice editing it may seem a bit complicated at first, but it really is not that difficult.

Joe H
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 11:28:07 PM by Joe H »