Author Topic: How to handle stuck notes on Genos?  (Read 5367 times)

Offline zionip

How to handle stuck notes on Genos?
« on: September 30, 2018, 01:13:27 AM »
For the first time, I got a stuck note on my Genos (just the Genos alone without using any external software such as V-Console) when playing a user style I got from this site.  I looked for the "panic" button or any menu function to get rid of the stuck note, but there is no "panic" button on the front panel of Genos or equivalent menu function.

I searched for "panic" and "stuck note" on Genos user and reference manuals with no results.

How do you guys handle stuck notes on Genos while performing?

Thanks,
Paul

Offline travlin-easy

Re: How to handle stuck notes on Genos?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 01:33:46 AM »
Paul, I've never heard of a stuck note. Are you saying that when you hit a particular key that note keeps playing regardless of whether you release the key or not? Or, is it a full chord that is stuck?

If it is a single key, then it may be something as simple as a bad keypad. If it's a full chord, then this is something likely to do with software. At the very least, I would execute a full factory system restoration and see if that solves your problem. Be sure to backup all your files before doing this or they will be lost.

Good luck,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline zionip

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 01:39:41 AM »
Hi Gary,

The stuck note came from the user style, there is no bad key issue here.  Once the Genos is rebooted, the stuck note is gone - no need to do factory reset.

I just want to know how a performer handles a stuck note when performing without rebooting the keyboard.

Do I have to record and play back a MIDI file with "CC#123 all notes off" to get rid of the stuck note since the keyboard does not have a panic button?

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 03:03:33 AM by zionip »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 03:10:15 AM »
I have had stuck notes on a Tyros, but not on Genos (so far).

As far as I can remember, I started and stopped the style. That turned it off, which would also indicate a faulty style file. I do remember for sure that I didn't have to power off/on the keyboard.

Hopefully that works for you,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 04:54:04 AM »
I agree with Fred.  Sounds like a problem with the style.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline AlBags

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 02:17:47 PM »

Style problem. It happens! Try checking all the style mappings, resave if necessary.
Factory Reset well OTT!

Al
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!

Offline markstyles

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 07:48:27 PM »
You definitely can get stuck notes. If using a DAW. I hit there panic button, it sends out a note reset, to every note, every midi channel. 
You can sometimes reset a note, if you use your elbows and hit as many notes at once as possible.. Short of that, your need to re-power Genos (unless there is something I am missing.

I don't think it's a style issue, it's when any instrument receives a note on command, but not a note off.  Midi processors can only handle so many events on one midi clock count. Judging from using my DAW..

So if you hit something on Genos or from  your DAW and it sends out huge amounts of sysex commands, CC events.  most likely Genos (or any midi hardware) is not gonna have time to recognize them all. note offs, even final pitchblende commands, are left floating in wrong state. 

Most midi instruments can hand 10 or so midi commands on one clock count. but 15 or more no.  The buffer is filled up, and these later commands, go unnoticed by the hardware. Different for different hardware.

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 09:00:58 PM »
Set midi setup to off.
Then back to previous midi setup
Best Regards,
Wim

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 09:06:41 PM »
I have had stuck notes on Genos when experimenting with changing midi channels. In my case I found that pressing a registration button causes the note(s) to go silent.
John