Author Topic: Out of pickle now!!  (Read 3417 times)

Offline ugawoga

Out of pickle now!!
« on: September 23, 2018, 07:10:13 PM »
Hi

Re-doing this thread

I am suspecting my Focusrite 6i6 sound box is giving me the hump
There has been recent updates to windows 10 and not being able to record midi to audio and record vst  plus not being able to turn a midi track to audio In Cubase seems odd
I have bandlab as well , but I can do most  things on that except turn midi to audio

I am going through my set with a fine toothcomb now and I found out that my computer bios chipset had to be updated. Device manager sorted that and now a re - test.
Seems a lot of people are having trouble with 1st gen Focusrite modules.
The drivers for a Focusrite 6i6 is downloadable from their site, but when I went to reload In, It told me that my driver is out of date and may render my unit Incapable.
I thought GREAT!!. So Focusrite have not updated their drivers on their site In a long while now.
I found out that there Is a beta driver from Focusrite, but It is not In my downloads on their site.
Is something telling me that Focusrite want you all to get the second generation or maybe a third coming out sometime.
I had everything working great two weeks ago and now , i am back to a glitchy sound box.
Lucky I have a new computer with a new bios or people with older motherboards may have to get another computer for music purposes.
I think focusrite are underhanded by not giving us proper drivers for first generation modules.
They say contact  support ,but It takes an age going back and forwards with photos and whatnot.
Anyone now with a similar experience??
I wished that Focusrite gave us proper drivers and not beta ones.Surely they must be up to scratch with drivers after making such a good unit.
It does not make sense to me

All the best
John
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 07:25:17 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

keynote

Re: Got myself into a pickle again
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 03:34:46 PM »
Maybe you can sell your Focusrite 6i6 first generation on eBay and then get the second generation? The second generation is only $248.95 on Amazon. Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (2nd Gen) USB Audio Interface with Pro Tools First

Mike 

Offline ugawoga

Re: Got myself into a pickle again
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 12:17:22 PM »
Hi If anyone Interested

I know I have been waffling lately!! ::)

I figured out why I am not getting Genos to Play midi and vst In Cubase.

In Cubase preferences Go to MIDI FILTER and check the 16 midi channels and then you can Print and hear midi and vst from the Geno. God knows how they got unchecked as It was default.

The only thing I cannot do now is Record the midi track to audio track.
Ok ,so the computer sends the midi signal to Genos and midi out sends through the Focusrite 6i6 and down the USB back to the computer audio track.
That is what should happen ,but It does not.
I need someone that has a Focusrite so I can mirror their routing from the focusrite mixer.
The focusrite mixer is a pain to understand.

If there is anyone with a Focusrite 6i6 with Genos and computer, I would love to correspond
I do know that you can record midi to audio Inside the Genos but when editing ,It would be handy to get the midi song down to one audio track or several tracks without keep going back and forth..

All the best
john
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 12:19:52 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline ugawoga

Re: Out of pickle now!!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 07:27:23 PM »
Hi
I will explain to anyone who has trouble with recording midi with Genos and Cubase with a focusrite.

Focusrite took control of my computer and I saw the light!! 8)

all the best
john ;D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 09:13:04 PM by ugawoga »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 08:17:35 PM »
You solved it? Great! I have a Focusrite 2i2, 2. gen. No problem. But I only use Audacity.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 08:53:41 PM »
HI toril

The Focusrites are a devil to configure and Cubase.
I rang Focusrite and they took remote control of my computer.
I had to rewire a couple of things.
Now my Focal Alpha 50s are dedicated to the Focusrite. Tommy 73 did point me that way, but was not totally convinced then. I must be frightened of change!! :)
Tommy 73 did help as much as he could with drawings and all and i appreciate that.
I got everything In the right holes now as well. If you put output leads from the Focusrite 6i6 In holes at back inputs 3 and 4 you have no control and the vst Instruments blow your head off with volume. So It Is ouputs 1 and 2 on the back. Thanks Focusrite for that as I thought I was going to blowup my Focals at one point. >:( :o ;D :-\ ::) ;D
I pull the main out plugs from Genos and stick the DXR 8's leads In and that Is for pleasure listeng and practicing and making Midi songs in the Genos sequencer to transport accross . That is where I start first but later I will do some multi tracking in Cubase combining Midi and vst. etc

The Focals as I said are mainly for mixing  and Cubase is where I can use the Genos with VST instruments or just tidy up a song.
That will work for me.
So If you get any trouble with Focusrite sound boxes  they can get remotely into your system and see what Is going on. They do give you a code and then you get rid of it after the remote session with them has finished and they can do It worldwide In seconds. Very helpful staff.
If you get trouble with Focusrite drivers from 1st generation , there Is a focusrite Beta site and my 1.8 driver was deemed out of date by Focusrite and  can potentually render your box useless.
Basically the 2nd generation driver is used on the first generation now.
The beta driver works great now as every now and then when I walked off for a coffee or tea and come back using the original driver nothing worked unless I restarted the box and cubase.
Years ago I remember having a EMU 0404 USB sound box and had to keep switching the thing off and on again and also had crackles and pops due to the high latency then with poor Pentuim computers. I wonder how a ZX Spectrum or a Commodore 64 would fair today!!??? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Another thing Toril You can try Bandlab as It Is free.
This used to be Sonar Platinum. Yes an expensive program for free now
The only thing is you have to pay for the vsts, but It has enough In there to start.
You have to go through a sign up thing though. May be worth a look.
I had Sonar Platinum and It went bust and Bandlab took over. I paid good money for a lifetime of updates which only lasted a year!!  flaming Gibson to blame for that, the guitar people.
But I can use Banlab If I wish, but Cubase Is my main man now.

All the best
john :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 09:02:18 PM by ugawoga »

The following users thanked this post: Tommy 73

Offline Toril S

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 09:06:12 PM »
Thanks John. Good to know. So much fun making music!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 11:48:43 PM »
Hi Torril

I can get movin' now!! keep on truckin' 8)

All the best
john :)