Author Topic: Midi Sound Module for PSR E series.  (Read 6201 times)

Preset

Midi Sound Module for PSR E series.
« on: September 23, 2018, 02:18:22 AM »
Having sometimes used the GM sounds off my computer through the keyboard tone generator.  I recently started looking into midi sound modules, which I don't have a lot of information on.  Only that I have some idea that they might provide some riff samples.  But would more be used, instead of going all geeky, with stacks of keyboards.  Keyboardists uses them to get extra sounds.  Like those that replicate older synthesizer keyboards.  But more importantly for me.  They work better than playing through a computer.  I get good playback through the keyboard, with no lag, but only the tones on the keyboard.  The computer can do some of the GM voices better.  However, there is the lag issue. 

I was wondering if any would work with the PSR E443.  I was thinking, I'd try E-bay.  I've never shopped on it before.  But I thought, for an odd product.  This might be the go.  I'd like to know how I'd go about choosing a sound module.  It's a bit hard here, considering that finding a shop that sells them might be hard to come by.  The national chain I got my keyboard from.  Now only has one store, too far from where I am and does it's sales mostly online now.  Any shop that sells keyboards and accessories, are all over the place. 

Offline DerekA

Re: Midi Sound Module for PSR E series.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 06:12:33 PM »
There are other members who can explain the details better than me, but rather than searching for old physical sound modules you can do an awful lot with VST instruments running on your computer. And you can find many free online.

Regarding the lag, you probably need to install a driver on your computer such as asio4all. This will eliminate it.

Genos

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 07:43:41 PM »
I often use virtual instruments and software synthesizers on my computer with my PSR-E models-- the YPT-400 (which is the PSR-E403 with a different name for export purposes), the PSR-E433, the PSR-E443, and the PSR-EW400. I haven't used a hardware MIDI sound module with them, but I've used one to play another (i.e., a "master keyboard" and "slave keyboard" configuration), as well as to play the MX49 BK, so it's more or less the same as using a MIDI sound module-- the only difference being that I'm not directly connecting a PSR-E keyboard to another MIDI device, but am using a computer to route the MIDI between them.

If you want to play a MIDI sound module with your PSR-E443 using a direct connection (i.e., without needing to use a computer as a go-between), you're going to need an additional piece of hardware known as a "MIDI USB host interface," or something similar-- the name varies a bit from company to company. This is due to the fact that the PSR-E443 doesn't have MIDI DIN ports, only a USB TO HOST port, and if you want to connect two devices together via USB then one of them must serve as a host device for the other one.

Note that you cannot simply use a USB-to-MIDI adapter cable, because those types of cables are for connecting a device with MIDI DIN ports to a USB host, and the PSR-E443 can't act as a USB host in that situation. (It can act as a USB host for a USB flash drive, but not for a MIDI device.)

Instead, you'll need something like a Kenton MIDI USB Host, or a Sevilla Soft USB Host MIDI Router, or maybe one of the iConnectivity MIDI interfaces that can act as a USB host. (If you do decide to get an iConnectivity MIDI interface, make sure it's one that has both types of USB ports, A and B-- namely, the mio10, mio4, or iConnectMIDI4+.) There are a couple of other companies that make MIDI USB host interfaces, so you might want to search for "MIDI USB host" to see what your choices are.

The other option is to connect your PSR-E443 to your computer, connect the other MIDI device to your computer, and use computer software to route the MIDI data between your PSR-E443 and the other MIDI device. I normally use a DAW for this, because a DAW can function as a MIDI router, MIDI event filter, MIDI event processor, and MIDI sequencer, as well as a host for virtual instruments, not to mention as an audio and MIDI recorder, editor, and mixer. But you can also use something as simple as MIDI-OX.

As for latency, it's usually caused by the computer's audio processing. That isn't the only source of latency-- any electrical or electronic signal needs to travel over wires or through circuits, so there will always be some latency as the signal goes from point A to point B-- but usually latency is so small that you don't notice it. However, computers are designed to perform many different tasks at the same time, and even if you aren't running any other programs besides your DAW there are still all sorts of processes running in the background. Therefore when a program transmits an audio signal to the computer's sound card, the signal doesn't necessarily get sent to the sound card right away, because the computer's processor might have several other things to do first, which introduces latency. Also, computers will typically collect data in a buffer before sending it on, so the buffering process also introduces latency.

But there are ways to reduce that latency. If your computer has a sound card that can use ASIO or something similar, that can help reduce the latency. Note that if you don't have a sound card that can use ASIO, there is a free program called ASIO4ALL that basically imitates or emulates ASIO. And another way you can reduce the latency is to decrease the size of the audio buffer so the audio data doesn't get held back as much while the computer waits for the buffer to fill up. By using ASIO4ALL (or ASIO if you can), and decreasing the audio buffer size, you should be able to reduce the latency to be more or less unnoticeable.

Preset

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 11:18:36 AM »
I just did some testing with FL Studio, which as Asio4All installed.  I used both a plug-in synth and the midi out.  Played together.  Both seemed to have no latency.  I have a small speaker plugged into the desktop.  I actually played a Yamaha DX7 patch through one and a bright piano from midi, with  MSB/LSB adjusted. 

I'm still keen on checking out a sound module. 

I found information from here https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/sound-module-buying-guide/
and here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_module

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 05:50:57 PM »
I recommend you look on eBay for a Yamaha MU100 or MU128 sound module.  These have about 1200 GM/XG Voices and great DSP processors. They can be connected via a single 5-pin DIN connector. If you have an audio In on your keyboard then you can hear the sounds through your keyboard otherwise you will need a separate (like for a computer) powered speakers or something similar.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 08:08:01 PM »
I recommend you look on eBay for a Yamaha MU100 or MU128 sound module.  These have about 1200 GM/XG Voices and great DSP processors. They can be connected via a single 5-pin DIN connector. If you have an audio In on your keyboard then you can hear the sounds through your keyboard

Yes, the PSR-E443 has a 1/8" AUX IN stereo jack, so the sounds could come directly from the PSR-E's speakers. You can use the PSR-E's "AuxInVol" function to balance the volume of the AUX IN sound with the PSR-E's other sounds.

You can use a dual 1/4" TS to 1/8" TRS cable to connect from the MU128's AUDIO OUT L/R jacks to the PSR-E443's AUX IN jack; I recently bought one to connect my MX49 BK to my PSR-EW400.

You would still need to get one of the three iConnectivity MIDI interfaces I listed, or else one of the MIDI USB host interfaces that are available from a few different companies, or else use your computer (or laptop or tablet) as a go-between.

I've been considering the Kenton or Sevilla Soft interface for a while now. In addition to adding MIDI IN/OUT ports to a PSR-E keyboard so it can be directly connected to another MIDI device, it would provide the option of routing the PSR-E's MIDI data back to itself, which opens up certain possibilities.

However, the advantage of using a computer as a go-between is that you can use MIDI software (such as a DAW) to process the PSR-E's MIDI data before it's sent to the other MIDI device-- and you can route the PSR-E's MIDI data to multiple virtual instruments or external MIDI devices (including back to the PSR-E itself) without having to purchase additional MIDI boxes for cloning the MIDI data. Also, the DAW can send MIDI messages such as SysEx, Bank Select, Program Change, Control Change, and so on to the virtual instrument(s) or external MIDI device(s).

Preset

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 09:36:52 AM »
I recommend you look on eBay for a Yamaha MU100 or MU128 sound module.  These have about 1200 GM/XG Voices and great DSP processors. They can be connected via a single 5-pin DIN connector. If you have an audio In on your keyboard then you can hear the sounds through your keyboard otherwise you will need a separate (like for a computer) powered speakers or something similar.

Joe H

Thanks Joe.  That's a good start.  Good pricing, I think.  I guess I need a good number of voices.  I'm particularly after some good Rhodes piano, electric piano and a few other keyboard instrument sounds.  These things can be quite expensive. 

Online pjd

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 01:44:11 PM »
Hi Preset --

I go along with Joe. Here's a few more thoughts.

I use an old Yamaha QY-70 as a table top module. It does XG and is roughly the same vintage as MU80. I use it to scratchpad sequences that I make or port to PSR/Genos. Since it's XG, the QY and MU voice and effect architecture is the same as PSR/Tyros/Genos.

The downside is no panel voices, or at least, the XG module will substitute an XG voice for any panel voices that are used. Another downside -- the old modules don't have as many built-in drum kits as newer Yamaha products.

If you're buying used, you might want to consider a Yamaha Motif XS rack or, gasp, a Roland JV-1010, XV-2020, etc. Roland SoundCanvas (GS) is another option. The major disadvantage is losing XG architecture compatibility.

I wish Yamaha would release a modern tabletop PSR-compatible solution...

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline Joe H

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 08:07:53 PM »
On the MU80, MU100 and MU128 there is a Performance Mode that will allow you to layer up to 4 Voices and 3 DSPs for a big sound.  If you want to tailor your favorite 100 Voices this is a good way to go.  The Performances are equal to or better than the Panel voices on the S970.

Joe H
PS: In Performance Mode there is front panel editing of the Voices so you can tailor the sound just the way you want.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 08:10:41 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html