Author Topic: has anyone here modified 740 with a usb drive?  (Read 8656 times)

ekurburski

has anyone here modified 740 with a usb drive?
« on: October 05, 2018, 05:54:58 PM »
how long does it take to load a user style from the usb drive?
Does the reg load the user style from the usb?

Overall, is this modification worth the trouble and cost?

Offline Al Ram

Re: has anyone here modified 740 with a usb drive?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 06:58:30 PM »
I am not sure on 740's . . .

I have loaded styles from USB on Tyros and Genos.  It must be the same for 740.

The loading is immediate.

If the registration was originally created pointing to the USB/style, yes, it will load it from the USB.   If the registration was originally created to point to keyboard hard drive or user area, the registration will not find the style in the USB.

But you can always manually call up the style from the USB with no problem.

your question . . . is it worth the trouble and cost ?  it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.   If you do not have to, why do it . . . . ?   

I play on Genos all my registrations/styles, etc are on the USB. Presumably, I should be able to just take the USB and play the same on another keyboard. 

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 08:25:12 PM »
The 740 is an older model, which comes with a floppy disk drive. So you're suggesting unplugging the floppy drive, and plugging a USB device onto the original connector - assuming you can find such a thing.

Is this just something you have just thought up, or have you read about someone actually doing it? I;ve heard of external floppy drives that plug into a USB port, but I think going the other way is going to be more difficult ...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 08:27:30 PM by DerekA »
Genos

Offline Bruce Breen

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 09:25:46 PM »
People have been replacing the floppy drives with USB emulators for several years now.
However, most, if not all, of the posts on this site were erased so you can't see them...

I googled the following: psr 740 replacing floppy drive with usb
And got many hits.

Example: I see a site that sells the item(s) required at:
https://www.floppyemulator.com/yamaha-psr-740-floppy/ 
Read the responses below the article - in one of them is the part number(s) required from that supplier.

There are several others shown so maybe check them out too - not all emulators are the same - I have heard of a some people having problems with these conversion kits.

Also, there are youtube videos showing what you will have to do to make the change...
Watch one and see if this is something you can do - or, maybe you know a serviceman who could do this?

I did not change my PSR 2100 (still has the floppy), so I don't know much else about this.
Instead I was able to buy a newer keyboard at a great price, which, of course, has the USB drive and many other newer features, which I wanted!

Good luck!
Bruce Breen
playing a PSR-S950, PSR-2100 & Piano Accordion

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 09:42:24 PM »
I have the floppy disk station om my 2100 as well. The YouTube videos show that you have to have some technical knowledge to do this. Floppy disks are still made, but are rather expensive now!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 10:46:51 PM »
Hi all,
I replaced the floppydrive in my good old PSR 2000 with an emulator about 9 years ago and still use it occasionally. I also have send info with pictures (of various model keyboards) how to change it yourself to hundreds of people all over the world. If you are a little handy and know the difference between a screwdriver and an onion you can do it. Piece of cake (sort of).
If interested send me a pm with your email-address and I'm happy to send it to you.
The file is to large to place on this forum.

Regards,
Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

The following users thanked this post: Denmo

Offline Toril S

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 10:58:56 PM »
That is great Dick! Unfortunately I shall not start doing anything to my 2100, as I don't see the difference between a screwdriver and an onion. OOps, I ate the screwdriver :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page