Author Topic: Yamaha Montage and now Yamaha MODX, that are really being ?  (Read 8469 times)

Offline hans1966

Yamaha Montage and now Yamaha MODX, that are really being ?
« on: September 17, 2018, 03:33:22 AM »
Hello everyone.
For some time now I have been following the videos of the MONTAGE, and now those of the new MODX. My perception with respect to these keyboards is that they are focused on electronic music (Dance, EDM) I see that they use transitions of sounds with very sophisticated effects for this type of music. I really do not know if these instruments can be classified as work stations. The only thing I see in all the YouTube videos, are movements of knobs, slides similar to those of a DJ. Having said that, my question is?
What is happening with orchestral music? Can you really create a musical arrangement with all the nuances and dynamics of a symphony orchestra? I say this because within the many demonstrations of these keyboards focused on EDM synthesis, I rarely heard orchestral sounds. Is it easy to create a MIDI sequence? What is the difference between an arranger like PSR, or Genos and Montage or MODX? (outside the accompaniment styles) is it an instrument only for recording study, or is it also used for live entertainment ?. and the last but not least. Can you configure PSR or Genos with Montage or MODX ?.
These are my concerns when thinking about buying one of these keyboards. in advance thanks to the expert friends in these topics that can help me clear these doubts.  Greetings.  Hans
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 03:39:52 AM by hans1966 »
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline DerekA

Re: Yamaha Montage and now Yamaha MODX, that are really being ?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 09:52:19 AM »
This is a real simplification but ..

Use an arranger if you mainly want to play a melody over a backing track. Whether that's a tune for your own enjoyment, backing for a live singing performance, or part of a songwriting process. Most (not all) people will use the inbuilt sequencer for multi tracking.

Use a synth if you mainly want to play one (perhaps very complex) sound at a time as part of a bigger group. Whether that's part of a live band, or part of a multitracked studio recording. Most (not all) people will use a program running on a computer (DAW) for multi tracking.

There is some crossover in that arrangers have some limited sound editing ability, and synths have sequenced patterns.

But there are no rules here. Use whatever feels right for whatever you want to do,and be creative. :)
Genos

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 02:19:24 PM »
Hello Hans --

There is some disagreement over the word "workstation". (I don't get involved in those discussions. :-) ) However, Derek made a good point: "Use whatever feels right for whatever you want to do." This means thinking and reflecting about one's musical goals, needs and process (i.e., what do you want to achieve and how?) Then it comes down to finding best tool -- arranger or synth -- to accomplish your goals.

I avoid discussion about the word "workstation" because each keyboard has its own features and supported workflows. The Montage/MODX sequencer is kind of rudimentary (performance record) while the Genso/Tyros/PSR sequencer supports deeper MIDI editing. Of course, PC-based software can do all of that and more.

My church side is interested in orchestral music. I play an MOX live in a small group (piano plus guitar plus me). The Montage/MODX orchestral instruments are quite good and I plan to upgrade to MODX for live play. Its light weight is a big plus for playing out.

However, I also feel that the Genos orchestral instruments are stellar. I have used Genos as a synth at my church gig, too, although it is a much bigger hassle to port to the gig. The Genos and Montage/MODX orchstral instruments are both based on the same waveforms, but I feel that the Genos programming, especially, SArt2, is superior for live playing.

I prefer PSR/Genos for DAW-based sequencing. Maybe it's because I'm familiar with the XG sound architecture over the MOX architecture. Montage, apparently, has some changes that were a step back from the Motif/MOX DAW integration. I sequence to produce backing tracks for my funk, R&B, and jazz side.

So, even though the Genos has so many advantages, I still plan to upgrade to MODX. I have to haul my instrument to the gig (and rehearsals), so transportation and set-up/tear-down time are important.

BTW, Blake Angelos' MODX demo for Guitar Center touches on building an orchestral layer. Some mighty fine orchestral instruments are hiding in the MODX, but that isn't what sells keyboards to the masses these days. ;-)

Hope this helps -- pj

Music technology blog: http://sandsoftwaresound.net/
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 01:41:59 PM by pjd »

Bachus

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 02:23:43 PM »
Montage as well as Genos both can be used very efficiently for all types of music and sounds in their own way...

The soundpallette is as broad as its ever been..

However the demo man decides what to show...

But i have seen and heared very nice examples of Classical and jazz from the montage using arps and onboard high end sounds like piano amd strings..  its just a matter of building what you need..

Offline hans1966

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 04:42:54 PM »
Hello again everyone. Thank you very much for your advice and support (DereckA, PJD and Bachus). At the moment I have the S770, and I think it's an excellent arranger. The idea of ​​buying a synthesizer like MODX is not to replace the S770, but rather to complement it. I love creating MIDI sequences within the keyboard, I do not know, nor do I like to use external software for music production. my intention with the MODX is for the creation of complex arrangements of various musical genres, not only Classical or instrumental music. In short, I want an all-in-one W / S keyboard, just for music production, and the S770 for live concerts. I do not rule out the possibility of playing with both keyboards at a concert, if it really is worth the effort to move them from one place to another.  greetings.   Hans

Offline Joe H

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 08:28:29 PM »
Montage as well as Genos both can be used very efficiently for all types of music and sounds in their own way...

The soundpallette is as broad as its ever been..

However the demo man decides what to show...

But i have seen and heared very nice examples of Classical and jazz from the montage using arps and onboard high end sounds like piano amd strings..  its just a matter of building what you need..

People have to remember that Yamaha does not take away sounds and feature for the most part, they only add new sounds and features with each generation of arranger.  I have some very impressive Classical music demos produced by Yamaha for the legacy MU128 sound module. In those days controller cc11 Expression was use extensively along with switching (realtime) Voices on strings and/or using cc73 Attack Rate to change the strings from a slow attack to a fast attack real-time.  These demos sound very realistic to me.

But sadly... masses of people are NOT interested in Classical music these days.  MIDI has all the capability to make VERY expressive music if the specifications are implemented by the manufacturer AND the player understands how to use them.

The Super Knob is a great improvement on a keyboard.  I have been doing the job of Super Knob with my Peavey PC1600x hardware MIDI controller for nearly 20 years.

So... Yamaha, bring on the knobs and faders for the next PSR or whatever it will be called.  We want to make expressive music whether its EDM or Jazz or Classical.

Joe H
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 04:41:08 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline hans1966

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 03:24:49 AM »
Hello Joe H. Your answer is very wise. it's really about making expressive music !. So the most important thing in a musical workstation is that it makes it easy for me to work when it comes to music production. that also allows me to edit, mix, insert MIDI events, in a specific channel of a MIDI song, and also allow editing, mixing, insert AUDIO events and then mix it with MIDI, within the same keyboard without the need for external software. just my thoughts. Hans
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 03:35:19 AM by hans1966 »

Offline voodoo

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 08:40:11 AM »
I am also on board. The MODX offers:

* real portability (Yes, that matters. It has even less weight than my Nord Electro and around the same size.)
* Montage technology
* FM technology (allowing to import all DX7 patches).
* Free sounds from Yamaha (Bösendorfer Grand and Chick Corea Mark V Rhodes Piano)

I will use the Genos at home and take the MODX for rehearsals and church play. Together with a Bose S1 Pro this will be a real portable music equipment.

My only question: will the MODX7 key bed be good enough for piano play? I did not like the PSR key bed, one reason to upgrade to Genos.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline hans1966

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 04:41:33 PM »
Hi Uli, thank you for sharing these technical details about the MODX. with regard to the feeling of the keyboard, the only thing that causes me doubt is that it has no sensitivity after the touch. However, I think it's a fantastic keyboard for the price.  Hans
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 04:49:25 PM by hans1966 »

Shredder11

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 09:48:47 AM »
I have some very impressive Classical music demos produced by Yamaha for the legacy MU128 sound module. In those days controller cc11 Expression was use extensively along with switching (realtime) Voices on strings and/or using cc73 Attack Rate to change the strings from a slow attack to a fast attack real-time.  These demos sound very realistic to me.

But sadly... masses of people are NOT interested in Classical music these days.  MIDI has all the capability to make VERY expressive music if the specifications are implemented by the manufacturer AND the player understands how to use them.

Joe H

This guy uses the Yamaha MU2000ex with a PLG150-VL to produce carefully sequenced Classical music, amongst other things.  Below is a 20min video of various famous pieces.  The MIDI files for this are available to download too.

https://youtu.be/tUgTRdZ37nQ