Author Topic: Does anyone know the Structure of the Flash memory on the PSR S975?  (Read 5777 times)

Offline manuel

Hello Friends

Does anyone knows the PSR S975 Flash memory structure, I have a friend, he told me that he made a pack with his own samples, and the total in megas was around 400, but at the time to install it into the PRS S975, a pop on window appears and mention that the capacity has been exceeded......

I understand that it may be a flash memory protocol.....does anyone knows how much samples can be on the expansion pack without the risk of not been able to install it?

Thanks in advance.
My 2 Cents

Manuel

Offline Patrick

Re: Does anyone know the Structure of the Flash memory on the PSR S975?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 07:47:53 AM »
Hi Manuel, perhaps it's the same memory amount in user section as on the S970; it's 13 Mo; so just check on Yamaha Expansion Manager the amount of memory left for: the voices wave size; the user drive size; the voice parameter size and the audio style size; if one of the part of the memeory is in red, you must uncheck some voices for example until the color will be green; then you can make your install PPI pack; But for me the User part on the S970 is the problem all the time; Have a nice weekend Patrick
 ;)

Offline Ed B

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 03:20:03 AM »
Hi Manuel
According to the specs the expansion is approx. 768 MB max for the 975. This compares to approx. 512MB max in the PSR 970. Seems strange to exceed capacity with 400 MB.
Patrick's advice on setting up in the Expansion Manger should be a good start to resolve.
Regards
Ed b
Keep on learning

Offline manuel

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 09:47:59 PM »
Hello Again

I was not to clear on the question regarding the Flash memory (for the expansion packs).....if you notice when you make several expansion packs to install to different models like in my case, I notice that it goes to red just before making the PPI File, apparently there is a limit on wave forms, that is what I think.....

I know that some users like Paul, they are into the smallest details (I want to be like that).....Any info in this regard is appreciate it.

Manuel
My 2 Cents

Manuel

Offline hans1966

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 02:28:10 AM »
Hi Manuel, I have had this same problem with my previous S970, when creating my own expansion packages. I think we should review each and every one of the voices that are in the expansion pack in addition to the registration banks and also the pads (if there are any) and the styles (Midi, or Wav). it may be that one or more of the sounds in the packet have a very large size (120 Mb, 180 Mb, or 200 Mb) depending on the quality of the sampling with which those sounds have been created.  are only my thoughts.  greetings.  Hans
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 02:38:40 AM by hans1966 »
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline zionip

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 01:16:58 PM »
Hi Manuel,

I only use YEM to show me the limits of the expansion pack(s) that I can install altogether in one installation.

Using PSR-S970 as an example (I do not have PSR-S975, so I do not know its details within YEM unless I can found a PSR-975_InstrumentInfo.n27 file and import it to YEM), the limits are:
Voice Wave Size:  509 MB
Audio Style Wave Size:  128 MB
Voice Parameter Size:  3072 KB (or 3 MB)
User Drive Size:  13906 KB (or 13MB)

YEM usually takes some time (with heavy CPU usage that makes the cooling fan scream in some cases) to calculate the sizes of the selected pack(s).  When any of the above-mentioned sizes turns red, that corresponding limit is exceeded and we must un-select some of the packs / voices to meet the size limit allowed for that keyboard model.

My main arranger is Genos, which has 1.8GB of expansion flash memory, and I still faced insufficient expansion memory issues due to the bigger number of expansion packs.  So I had to use YEM to carefully review the combined packs are within the limits allowed.

BTW, I exchanged my PSR-S970 for a Korg Pa1000 for a different user experience, but still keep the Genos.  Overall, I found that I like the Yamaha arranger experience much better, and more flexible due to the fact that Yamaha arrangers can load voices/styles from the USB flash drive directly without having to pre-load them into user area first.  The process of pack installation to the expansion flash memory is just for the convenience of the users so they do not have to waste their time in loading multiple voices and styles every time they use the keyboard.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 01:24:26 AM »
In case anyone still needed to know, the PSRs975 limitation is that the user capacity of 13mb is still the same as the s970.

In other words, you'll need to remove styles from the install; although the 765mb is definitely more than 509, you will basically only be able to max out the same # of installed items.

Paul, I'd have to agree; if I had a Genos, I wouldn't need an s970/s975, and the Korg PA1000 is exactly the same as the PA4x.

Other than the strings (which don't match up to the Yamaha PSR ones), the Pa1000 has a lot of Tyros-like features (including some 'Super Articulation 2' sounds!) and I would say the drums are fantastic; livelier than even the Tyros 5 (but still not up to the Genos). But you're right, the GUI is a pain.

Offline manuel

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 07:00:39 PM »

I was referring to the Flash Memory that stores the Expansion Packs, using the Yamaha Expansion Manager....but I think I am in the process of figuring it out, is on the Yamaha Expansion manager, that is basically were you load the packs....

The USER memory is the one you mention...that one you only can store Registrations, SMFs, Multipads, User Voices, and of course, Styles.

Manuel
My 2 Cents

Manuel