Author Topic: Strange behavior when connecting midi instrument  (Read 2825 times)

Ricky

Strange behavior when connecting midi instrument
« on: September 10, 2018, 11:46:12 PM »
I'm in a band where I use my T4 just as keys for midi connection to my Korg Oasys. I.e. (almost) all of the sounds come from the Oasys, but are played from the T4 keys.
Sometimes some notes hang! A note on is send out from T4, but the note off never makes it to the Oasys.
It is VERY annoying and frustrating.

It happens 2-5 times during a 4 hour performance.

It is quite random when it happens, and I can't figure out why!
I replaced the midi cables, without any luck.

I think I know a lot about midi setups, synth programming and so on, but I can't figure this one out.
I don't think it's related to programming/setup.

What can be wrong?
Anybody else with this problem?
I'm quite sure the T4 is the problem.

Just sold my CS-6X because I thought the T4 would be just as good, when it should only act as midi keys!!!!
Never had a problem with CS-6X!

Any suggestions, tips and tricks???

Thanx

Best regards

Ricky

Offline pjd

Re: Strange behavior when connecting midi instrument
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 01:19:40 PM »
Hi Ricky --

I've had this sort of behavior from time to time, especially when connecting keyboards made (programmed) by two different manufacturers.

My conjecture -- differences in the way NOTE OFF messages are handled. There are two ways to send a note off: 1. With a NOTE OFF MIDI message, and 2. with a NOTE ON message in which the velocity is zero. There may also be differences (or bugs) in the way MIDI running status is handled that could affect this situation as well. Without carefully monitoring and analyzing the actual MIDI message stream, it comes down to intuition and guess work.

This problem crops up more often with older gear, back in the day when MIDI was relatively young. Get feeling: Late Yamaha gear is spot on, so I would suspect the Oasys. I've found Korg to be a little lazy in the Triton Taktile and microKorg, for example.

With these set-ups, it's definitely worth knowing how to send MIDI "all notes off" AKA "Panic"!

Hope this helps. I can at least sympathize.  :'(

-- pj

Offline overover

Re: Strange behavior when connecting midi instrument
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 03:22:39 PM »
Hi Ricky,

in the T4 MIDI Setup in tab Transmit, normally (e. g. with template "All Parts") the Parts Right 1-3 and Left are routed to the MIDI channels 1-4 (of Port 1 = MIDI A Out).

But in this case, MIDI data from the T4's keyboard is ONLY transmitted, if the particular Part (e. g. Right 1) is switched ON.

When the keyboard Part that is used to control the Oasys is switched OFF while you are playing (via Part ON/OFF button, or by switching to another OTS or Registration), this could be the Problem ("hanging" MIDI notes on Oasys).

Therefore, I recommend to use the special Parts "Upper" and, if needed,"Lower" to control the Oasys from the T4. Switch OFF all Parts in tab Transmit an set only Upper (= right hand) to CH 1 and, if needed, Lower (= left hand) to CH 2. Now, these transmit channels are ALWAYS ON, even if T4's all keyboard Parts (Right 1-4, Left) are switched OFF.

I also recommend to release the checkmarks for CC (Control Change) and PC (Program Change) on the Upper/Lower Channels.

If you have changed the MIDI Setup, you finally have to press Exit and SAVE your work in User tab.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 03:38:45 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss