Author Topic: New MODX Synths  (Read 43407 times)

Offline pjd

Re: New MODX Synths
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2018, 02:21:04 PM »
Back from another trip!  :o

Katsunori UJIIE (no English subtitles yet): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVdUxCSXSWk

I enjoyed this video, too. A musician, not the standard sales guy rap: https://youtu.be/-Ps2HnG9Iz4

-- pj
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 02:23:43 PM by pjd »

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2018, 03:02:03 PM »
Back from another trip!  :o

Katsunori UJIIE (no English subtitles yet): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVdUxCSXSWk

I enjoyed this video, too. A musician, not the standard sales guy rap: https://youtu.be/-Ps2HnG9Iz4

-- pj
Now come on...  a sales guy rap, if this isn’t a brilliant idea to launch the MODX line...  ;D ;D ;D
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2018, 04:00:51 PM »
While Katsunori UJIIE is a fantastic musician and does great demos, I do believe he represents a music dealer or store.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline pjd

« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2018, 06:15:56 PM »
Tough audience!  :)  :)

It's only rock'n'roll, but I like it.  8)

-- pj

Offline panos

« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2018, 10:02:47 PM »
May I ask something?
Why syhthesizers don't a have a row of buttons just above the keybed like the keyboards have which row is easy to hit while playing with both hands?
Don't they need anything to change or add to the sound while playing and could be done with this kind of buttons?

That super knob is really cool by the way  :)

Offline pjd

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2018, 02:14:14 PM »
Why syhthesizers don't a have a row of buttons just above the keybed like the keyboards have which row is easy to hit while playing with both hands?
Don't they need anything to change or add to the sound while playing and could be done with this kind of buttons?

Hi Panos --

Yep, sometimes I think that Yamaha could merge the arranger and "synth" functionality by implementing a super-flexible MIDI controller driving a sound engine. Better yet, make the MIDI controller programmable by user script. Put a row of buttons right above the keybed. The controller's programming determines if the buttons choose style sections or synth arpeggios, etc.

Yamaha could easily add auto-fill to the Motif/MOX and Montage/MODX arpeggios. I think they deliberately leave auto-fill out so a "synth" is not an "arranger."

Oh, well. We've all been over this same ground before ("synth" vs. "arranger," "one keyboard to rule them all," etc.).  Legitimate marketing decisions aside, I detect more than a whiff of corporate politics.  ;)

Hey, hey, all the best -- pj

The following users thanked this post: panos

Offline pjd

« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2018, 10:11:15 PM »
I played the 88 for a while today. Nice keyboard action with good hand to sound connection in the CFX.

I left with a 61 key. Got a decent trade-in. Hated to see the S950 go after spending so much good, quality time with it.

A lot of deep diving ahead -- pj

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2018, 10:23:26 PM »
Hi pj,

Congratulations on your purchase  8)

Looking forward to reading technical stuff about the MODX here or on your blog.

Regards,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Offline voodoo

« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2018, 12:24:06 PM »
I played the 88 for a while today. Nice keyboard action with good hand to sound connection in the CFX.

I left with a 61 key. Got a decent trade-in. Hated to see the S950 go after spending so much good, quality time with it.

Hi Pj,

congratulation for your new child. ;) So we do similar things, I also went from S970 to Genos + MODX (76 keys).

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline voodoo

« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2018, 12:42:38 PM »

PJ,

then I have a first task for you. There is a performance called "CFX + FM EP" or "FM EP & CFX Grand" similar, (don't remember the exact name) that has 7 parts. Part number 7 contains some strings. So this part 7 only is  active, when "assignable switch 1" is activated. Until now, I have deep dived for a long time into the performance and part edit pages, and I cannot find, where this feature is hidden in the patch. I cannot find any link from "assignable switch 1" to any parameter of part 7. I was searching for the link in the control assign dialog (see ref man page 100).

I am still reading the reference manual, but I am afraid, that it does not contain the solution. Can you help me?

For all the preset performances, I am missing a describing info text, explaining the effects of the various keyboard controllers. So one has to try out all buttons and try to see, what happens.

Uli

[attachment deleted by admin]
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline voodoo

« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2018, 01:32:41 PM »
I am still reading the reference manual, but I am afraid, that it does not contain the solution. Can you help me?

Ok, I found a tip on page 130 of the ref man. There is an XA feature for selecting elements depending on the assignable switches. Let's see, if this is used in the named voices.

Settings: Normal, Legato, Key Off, Cycle, Random, A.SW1 On (Assignable Switch 1 ON), A.SW2 On (Assignable Switch 2 ON), A.SW Off (Assignable Switch 1 OFF)

A.SW1 On: When the [ASSIGN 1] button is turned On, the Element will sound.

By the way: the random and cycle options are the same as used for Revo Drums?

« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 01:36:25 PM by voodoo »
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline voodoo

« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2018, 01:40:56 PM »
Has anybody used a half pedal (Yamaha FC3A) for Montage or MODX for piano playing? Is it worth buying?
(Or equally the half priced Roland DP-10 and a soldering iron to swap two cables inside)
(Or is any expression pedal usable to use half pedaling?)
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline pjd

« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2018, 04:01:50 PM »
Hi Uli --

I forgot to congratulate you on your acquisition!  :o I was off on an airplane (again) when I first noticed.

Anyway, you're on the right path with XA control. Yamaha have made it part of the voice element programming and the internal flags that you found should do the job. BTW, there are YEM XML tags for SA control, but no user-level exposure in YEM's editor. SA control has five (?) different modes selected by an integer value. What they do, who knows?

I started diving into the "All 9 Bars!" performance and will be writing a post that's relevant to PSR/Genos in this regard.

Glad you found the screen shot Easter egg (A/D INPUT ON/OFF plus AUDITION). Better than Genos since we don't have to boot the instrument with some double-secret key combination.

Good luck and good times!

-- pj

In case anyone cares:  ;D

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-modx-snap-review/
http://sandsoftwaresound.net/modx-effects-screen-capture/
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 04:08:51 PM by pjd »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2018, 04:30:44 PM »
Has anybody used a half pedal (Yamaha FC3A) for Montage or MODX for piano playing? Is it worth buying?
(Or equally the half priced Roland DP-10 and a soldering iron to swap two cables inside)
(Or is any expression pedal usable to use half pedaling?)

Uli,

I have a Roland DP-10.  I bought this for use with my Acoustic Piano  XG plug-in card that supports a half damper pedal.  It also has a switch on it to allow it to work as a standard foot switch.  If you want to simulate the variable damper pedal of a real piano, then go for it other wise you will just have the On/Off sustain as usual.

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline voodoo

« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2018, 05:35:10 PM »
Hey pj,

Don’t miss the free expansions for Montage and MOXF from Yamaha music soft:

* CS80 expansion for Montage
* Motif premium pack for MOXF
* Montage expanded from Easy Sounds

There are great voices in them.

Uli

Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

The following users thanked this post: pjd

Bachus

« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2018, 06:07:39 PM »
Hey pj,

Don’t miss the free expansions for Montage and MOXF from Yamaha music soft:

* CS80 expansion for Montage
* Motif premium pack for MOXF
* Montage expanded from Easy Sounds

There are great voices in them.

Uli

The bösendorfer and the cs80 expansion, pretty much fill up all of my memmory at 900mb+ together..

Which makes you realise that user memmory is a severe limitation for modx as well as montage

Offline voodoo

« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2018, 06:22:39 PM »
I started diving into the "All 9 Bars!" performance and will be writing a post that's relevant to PSR/Genos in this regard.

Glad you found the screen shot Easter egg (A/D INPUT ON/OFF plus AUDITION). Better than Genos since we don't have to boot the instrument with some double-secret key combination.

Pj,

again an interesting post concerning the rotary effect. That was my first interest, too. I found that the new Leslie algorithm from Montage OS 1.5 (the Genos Real Rotary) is called Rotary 2 in the MODX.

I did not find the Easter egg. My screenshots have been taken from the manual. ;) So thank you for this information.

Best regards
Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline pjd

« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2018, 09:51:29 PM »
The Bösendorfer and the cs80 expansion, pretty much fill up all of my memmory at 900mb+ together..

Amen!

That CS80 expansion is one big burrito.  :) Thanks for mentioning the freebies, Uli.

I started the download and then went into a programming frenzy. Watching it download is like watching grass grow. I think I have enough pulled together to gig with the MODX on Sunday.  :o

Turns out, I didn't understand Scenes like I thought I did. I'm leaving that exploration for next week...

Have a good weekend, gents!

-- pj

P.S. I did a little A/B testing with MODX and Genos. So many waveforms in common. This helped getting Sunday's Live Set together as I had sorted through the Genos orchestral instruments already with some care.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 09:54:04 PM by pjd »

Offline voodoo

« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2018, 09:49:41 AM »
PJ,

I have read your new posts in your blog. As always, much to learn. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Seems, that MODX performances are a pendant to Genos registrations. Both possibly build up complex sounds using several parts. So the MODX comes with over 2000 pre programmed performances. Unfortunately, there are no preset registrations for Genos. (Only the one touch settings ins styles, which are not easy to find by category.)

I think, it would be an added value for Genos, if there would be factory programmed registrations, sorted by category, similar to the MODX performances.

(On Korg arrangers there have been pre programmed performances (combinations of several voices), which sounded very good. But I think, they have replaced this feature by songbook entries, which now are similar to Genos registrations?)

Uli
Uli
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 02:59:03 PM by voodoo »
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline pjd

« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2018, 02:55:19 PM »
Hello Uli --

"Since the ref manual states (on page 100/101), that after touch (and ribbon controller) can be selected as source for control assignment, I assume, that it should work. ;)"

I didn't want to hijack the other thread with MODX stuff.

The MIDI implementation chart at the end of the MODX Data List PDF gave me concerns. Aftertouch is neither transmitted (of course) or received. On the other hand, the MIDI Receive Flow does include channel aftertouch. Once again, we must seek truth.  :D

BTW, the date on the MIDI implementation chart looks whack -- "18-JUL-2017"   2017? Did Yamaha sit on this product for a year?

Take care -- pj

Offline pjd

« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2018, 03:08:58 PM »
Unfortunately, there are no preset registrations for Genos.

Hi Uli --

Maybe Yamaha thinks that Genos (PSR) registrations are so simple that there is not very much value added through "preset" registrations. For sit-and-play customers, the after-market MFDs and playlists are enough (maybe).

BTW, working in the MODX Performance editor reminds me of how much work needs to be done to Yamaha Expansion Manager to make it a truly professional voice editor.

Yamaha need to add SArt voice editing to YEM for no other reason than access to all of the waveforms that have been added since roughly 2008! We only have access to the old waveforms that comprise the regular voices. (OK, there are a few exceptions, but not many...) At least give us all of the Mega Voices; they use the same waveforms as SArt.

SArt2 is another matter. It's a complex beast and a PC-based editor is probably non-trivial. ("Non-trivial" in the usual techie sarcastic sense. :-) )

All the best -- pj

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2018, 06:00:49 PM »
Maybe Yamaha thinks that Genos (PSR) registrations are so simple that there is not very much value added through "preset" registrations. For sit-and-play customers, the after-market MFDs and playlists are enough (maybe).
 pj

Complete agreement . . . .  i play Genos and at least for me, no need for preset registrations.  I would not need, want, or use.

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline pjd

« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2018, 09:07:39 PM »
For grins, I transferred my WAV backing tracks to the USB flash drive that is dedicated to MODX. I tried playing along with a few tracks and I was quickly reminded at how well arrangers and Genos, in particular, are designed for live performance.

First, there is a fair bit of menu diving to find the WAV file. Then, there is mode switching from the audio playback window to Category Search (or Live Set) to select an instrument to play. For a so-called "modeless" user interface, the flow is not smooth. Then, if you try to select a different instrument while a WAV file is playing, fuggedaboutit. You need to stop the audio player (!) before you can switch to Category Search or Live Set.

Someone using MODX as a one man band (OMB) might be better served by a tablet sitting along side the MODX with the tablet's audio out routed to the MODX audio in. The set up would need a WAV playback app. Forget iTunes unless they added a way to play one song at a time (i.e., stop at the end of a song).

Makes you wonder how much the two divisions (synth and workstation) learn about workflow from each other...

All the best -- pj

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline hans1966

« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2018, 02:56:02 AM »
Totally true PJD. In my opinion it is much more practical to play live with an arranger keyboard, which already includes several functions (sequencer, styles, registers and voices) and everything is very close. A synthesizer is another work concept, and it's quite tedious when it comes to playing MIDI and / or WAV arrangements in a live concert, where you have to make changes on the fly. just my thoughts. Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline svpworld

« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2018, 09:41:43 AM »
Likewise when I bought my Yamaha Genos I traded in my Korg Kronos and Yamaha Montage.  I don't miss the Kronos but I did miss the FM engine of the Montage, so when the MODX came out and I saw the specs it seemed the perfect excuse to regain the sounds of the Montage but in a more affordable package.  I ended up getting the MODX6 and whilst it does share quite a few AWM sounds of the Genos, it's a different beast and has so much more in the synth department.  Infact it goes really nicely with the Genos as of course the MODX isn't a workstation and is a lot deeper than Genos.  I am now using Genos as my songwriting and main keyboard for constructing songs, providing inspiring band like accompaniments and recording with its pro quality FSX aftertouch keyboard. I've got the MODX midi'd up to Genos as well as my DAW so I can play the MODX sounds from the Genos keys with aftertouch (the MODX keys don't respond to aftertouch but the sound engine does).  I really do love the MODX keybed though, it's light and relaxing to play and despite the cost cutting it responds and feels really good.  The MODX is basically a Montage but in a lighter box with less flashing lights!  I don't miss any of the additional features that were on the Montage and those FM-X sounds are just so dynamic and enjoyable to play. Once you play a sampled FM piano on Genos and then the FM version on MODX you can really feel the difference, FM is just so expressive and crisp.  So despite many similarities with those Motif/Montage like AWM sounds, I feel that MODX is a perfect partner to Genos. Best of both worlds, fabulous acoustic sounds and now amazing evolving synth sounds!

Simon

Offline Joe H

« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2018, 07:03:42 PM »
I'm wondering if the MODX User Voice messages are like the Motif... IE; MSB 063 - LSB xxx.

If so; you can create a dummy Voice pack for the MODX in YEM and call up it's User Voices directly from the Genos.  I'm doing that with my S970 and the Motif Rack XS.

Take a look t this thread.   http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,44739.msg352009.html#msg352009

Joe H