Yamaha Keyboards (4 Boards) > Yamaha Keyboards - General

New MODX Synths

(1/16) > >>

SeaGtGruff:
I wasn't sure whether to post this here, or in "The Next Yamaha Keyboard," but that subforum is really for speculation and this is about an actual keyboard.

And I know that these forums are focused on the PSR and other arranger models, rather than on synths, but I know that several members are also very much interested in synths.

Anyway, I haven't seen an official announcement from Yamaha yet, but apparently there are three new synths coming out-- the 76-key model will supposedly be shipping from one UK store sometime next week, and hopefully the 61- and 88-key models won't be too far behind.

So far the only solid information about this new synth line-- called the MODX6, MODX7, and MODX8-- comes from the Gear4Music web site:

https://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and-Pianos/Yamaha-MODX7-Synthesizer-Keyboard/2NRS

If the "Estimated delivery" dates of "13th - 17th September" are correct, we should start seeing more information about these new synths very soon.

EDIT: By the way, the ad says that "The AWM2 engine delivers 28-note polyphony and 64-notes of FM-X polyphony," but apparently that should be 128 and 64, because earlier in the ad it says that "The MODX7 Synth also includes 1GB of integrated flash memory and 192-note total polyphony."

vbdx66:
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the Information, this looks very impressive.

« MODX7 » such as in « Montage » and « DX7 »?

Aesthetically, I find that this new synth has something of the Genos. Must be cool to have both boards on a the same stage or studio rack. 8)

Isn’t it a bit strange that a dealer is already advertising these new synths without having Yamaha communicating anything? Could this be a leak or am I missing something here?

Have a nice Sunday,

Vinciane

SeaGtGruff:
I think perhaps "MODX" as in "MO"NTAGE plus "DX." There are/were different models of each, so I don't think it's from the DX7 specifically, and some people have suggested that the FM synthesis in the MONTAGE (and now the MODX) is more similar to the FS1R than to the DX7, although I'm not familiar enough with any of Yamaha's FM synths to know whether that's accurate.

Apparently Gear4Music put the ad up because they're accepting orders on the MODX7, even though it isn't available yet-- which is common practice these days with so many things (Blu-ray releases, books, musical keyboards, etc.)-- and they say they're expecting to be able to start delivering the MODX7 sometime within the coming week. If that's true then the only reason I can imagine why Yamaha might have wanted to keep it under wraps until the last minute is if they intend to unveil it at a musical instrument trade show. As it happens, there's a trade show in Russia this week-- NAMM Musikmesse Russia-- which will be held on about the same range of dates that Gear4Music listed, but I have no idea whether Yamaha will be there and (if so) whether they will present the MODX synths there. And it seems like news about new Yamaha products frequently "slips out" about a week before their official announcement, which has led some to wonder whether these "slips" are actually deliberate as a way to stir up buzz before the official announcement.

Joe H:
It looks like a "baby" Montage with a FM synth engine.  Did you see that Super Knob?

I would suggest this to mean we will see a new line of arranger that replaces the (carrot-on-a-stick S970 upgrade) PSR S975.

;)

Joe H

vbdx66:
@Michael: yes, I also think that these « slips » are delibarate ;)

@Joe: I thought the Montage already had a FM engine built in?

Exciting news anyway, it would be great to have a new line-up of middle of the range arrangers in a few years time. PSR S with « S » like in « Superknob » ? LoL ;D

Vinciane

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version