Author Topic: Sending Note Data to a second MIDI Keyboard without sending Voice Data  (Read 6537 times)

jreynolds

Hello-
I am a novice in MIDI commands.  I wanted to send Note data from an old Ensoniq KS-32 weighted keyboard to a newer (but still old) Yamaha PSR-520.  The Note data gets through fine, but so does whatever Voice selection is set for the Ensoniq.  I want to use the new, improved Voices on the Yamaha, and only get the Note info from the Ensoniq.  I tried setting the Ensoniq to MIDI or EXT, and I tried setting the Yamaha to LOCAL: ON or OFF.  None of these had any effect.  I cannot select a Yamaha Voice with the Yamaha controls. (Although playing on the Yamaha keys DOES use the new Voice selection as normal).  As I scroll through the Ensoniq Voices, it is sending messages to the Yamaha to scroll through the different Yamaha voices, causing different ones to be used.  The Voices do not seem to be in numerical order - some percussion Voices will come in, then brass, etc.  So for example, Voice #2 info sent by the Ensoniq does not result in Voice #2 selection on the Yamaha, just a different Voice.  At least that is how it seems, there may be a pattern that I am missing.  I just want to be able to not have any Voice data coming from the old rig.

Today I ordered a PSR-S970 and really would like to use the great new Voices, but to play them at times using my old weighted Ensoniq keyboard.  Can anyone provide any suggestions?  I could even consider building an Arduino ”MIDI data filter system” to strip out the Voice data if that is the only option.  Thanks very much,  Jack

SeaGtGruff

Re: Sending Note Data to a second MIDI Keyboard without sending Voice Data
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 06:14:06 AM »
The PSR-S970 will be able to do what you want. I'm not sure about the PSR-520. The PSR-S models have MIDI Receive settings that will let you filter out the types of events you don't want to receive; check under the MIDI Settings section of the PSR-S970 Reference Manual (not Owners Manual) for more information about the options available.

jreynolds

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 11:25:15 PM »
Excellent information - very helpful.  Thank you!

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 04:32:56 AM »
You're welcome! The PSR-S models definitely have more sophisticated MIDI Send/Receive settings than the PSR-E models do and most of the earlier PSR models did. :)