Author Topic: Budget constrained Genos purchase - OK to start off with headphones?  (Read 7690 times)

Offline sjn2048

I'm an absolute keyboard beginner (with no musical instrument experience) and decided to actively pursue my musical interests as I'm now semi retired.
I have spent a lot of time investigating the Genos since initially looking at a Tyros 5 late last year, both online (Forums andYouTube) and have had a few hourly sesson of introduction from the great guys up at GuitarGuitar in Glasgow.

I've found myself a very suitable and local Keyboard tutor (who has a Clavinova) and I don't intend to transport the Genos at all.

Going to use it for personal amusement and initially it will need to be in my small business office which won't be good for the acoustics.

Would it be acceptable to start off using a decent set of headphones (Roland RH200) before progressing to say a set of Yamaha HS7's when i eventually relocate into the main house?

Steve

Offline billtracy

Re: Budget constrained Genos purchase - OK to start off with headphones?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 08:38:06 PM »
I think good headphones would be fine. I do think it might have been wiser to start off with a "lesser" keyboard since you are a beginner-maybe something like a PSR-S770 which is still a very good board. But that is a personal choice.
Current: Korg PA900/JBL 308P/Focusrite Clarett 2Pre/Band in a Box/Reaper/EZdrummer 3. Previously Owned: Yamaha PSR-740/Yamaha PSR-1100/Yamaha PSR-S750.

Offline sjn2048

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 08:55:26 PM »
Thanks for the reply. A bit more background info may help you understand why I'm looking at the Genos as opposed to other models..

I did have a PSR350 (with 3.5" floppy drive) some years ago, and have struggled with a 72 base Piano accordion (primarily due to lack of suitable tutors).

I'm from an aeronautical engineering background (Tornado) , initially studying noise and vibration moving on to a career in IT (actually it was Computing when I started).
I've also worked with digital signal processing from a communications POV and currently doing work on Deep Learning using Nvidia GPU's.
I build my own electronic systems and have a strong background in software development and hardware design.

You can probably see why the technology aspects of the Genos interest me and that together with the wish to learn to play the keyboard are what I'm hoping to pursue as one more hobby.

It's reassuring to learn that starting out with headphones isn't necessarily a bad idea.

Thanks
Steve   
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 11:20:15 PM by sjn2048 »

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 10:17:28 PM »
Welcome aboard, Steve!

While it's true you've jumped into the deep end of the pool by purchasing the Genos, it is also true that you have an adequate background with the earlier PSR model that you should be fine. The one amazing thing about the Yamaha arrangers over the years is the fact that they all work the same way. The big difference is, with the Genos, you can do a heck of a lot more.

I use a pair of HS-8 speakers in my studio. They are an excellent choice but are also "near field" monitors. That is, they sound best when your head and the two speakers form an equilateral triangle. If that works for you, they are a good choice. If you want to sit back further and still enjoy quality sound, there are other alternatives - possibly less money. At any rate, enjoy!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Del B

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 10:31:14 PM »

Would it be acceptable to start off using a decent set of headphones (Roland RH200) before progressing to say a set of Yamaha HS7's when i eventually relocate into the main house?

Steve

Steve
Very much so in using a decent set of headphones before you buy a set of speakers, I use headphones probably 85% of playing and personally of what I know now I would avoid the speakers that come with the keyboard and put that money towards a decent set of speakers at a later date, Ugawaga (John) a member in here did exactly that when he got his Genos although his speakers were about £900 they will last for the next two keyboard upgrades so I think that was a wise choice that's if money permits of course.

Del

The following users thanked this post: jwyvern

Offline AlBags

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 12:26:36 AM »

Hi ..
Remember that you could temporarily patch these into any hi-fi system with phone DIN inputs, using a pair of XL to phono leads
Keep you going temporarlty. Just need to try it and use the volume controls.

Al.
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!

Offline Depo1964

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 01:47:01 AM »
Hi Steve,
I'm not familiar with the Roland RH200 headphones.... but I am familiar with playing most often with any of my home studio gear using a pair of
AKG 240 DF (currently AKG K240 MKII) for close to 20 years... I've upgraded a bit to the AKG K712s that I use probably 90% of the time with my Genos.
I don't see any problems with starting off using headphones.....
especially if you get addicted to playing your Genos....
especially at 2 o'clock in the morning...
Your wife and your neighbors will appreciate it very much.    ;) 
Have fun.

Offline Gloria

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 03:46:01 AM »
Hi Steve,
  My Genos arrived 2 months before the speakers that had been back ordered did.  Since I don't play professionally anymore, it didn't matter that I used headphones.  When the speakers finally did arrive -- - ---
WOW, IT WAS LOVE AT FIRST SOUND!   ;D  The stereo sound is just fantastic!
   It's wonderful to hear you have a teacher; keep with it, you'll learn much faster AND the correct way!  ;)

Gloria
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 03:47:58 AM by Gloria »
"Music is the Universal Language"
PSR Performer Page

Offline RoyceM

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 03:49:52 AM »
Hi Steve,

When I got my first keyboard 13 years ago, the music store sold me an inexpensive pair of Roland headphones which I hated for both sound and comfort reasons. So, based on that experience I am biased.

Recently I purchased a pair of AKG which I like. They do not cause my ears fatigue in either fit or sound pressure (they are semi open in the back).

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/K240S--akg-k240-studio-semi-open-pro-studio-headphones

I think the ideal would be to find a way to try out some headphones connected to a keyboard to assure satisfaction before buying...especially since you will be wearing them a lot.

- Royce
DGX-305, Roland E60, S900, S910, S975, Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3, Bose L1 Compact
PSR Performer page

Offline deepsae48

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 04:04:28 AM »
Steve,
How about Bose Companion 2 Series III Multimedia Speakers - for PC (with 3.5mm AUX & PC input)
by Bose .
It's $99.00 a pairs

Offline sjn2048

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 08:08:11 AM »
The main reason for using headphones initially is that I’m constrained by using the Genos in my “office” (actually an ex mobile dental unit) which is separate from the house and setup as a “tech lab”, very poor acoustics and full of tech stuff.
So I don’t think speakers in that situation are practical.

Later I hope to able to relocate the Genos into the house in a dedicated space where I can then invest in a decent set of studio speakers setup for that environment.

I should say that I havent actually bought the Genos yet.

Steve
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 08:10:09 AM by sjn2048 »

Offline rbackes

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 08:25:36 AM »
Hi Steve,

headphones with the keyboard are always a good choice - as long as nobody else should hear you playing. I started around 2 1/2 years ago with a PSR9000 (no internal speakers) and got my Genos in January this year. And I still don't have a dedicated set of speakers.

I usually play with headphones. I have Beyerdynamics DT880 Edition (250 Ohms) which you can wear comfortably for hours. Although they are rated semi-open, they do not shield any noise. If your environment is noisy, I would recommend closed headphones (like the DT 770). When it's too warm (we had a quite warm summer) I sometimes switch to my Bose Sport In-Ears.

When I want to be heard, I connect the Genos to my HiFI, which sounds really good. I also have a pair of Creative Computer speakers attached to my keyboard stand - but the headphones sound absolutely better.

Hope that helps

Rainer

Offline sjn2048

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2018, 07:45:07 PM »
OK just a quick note to say that yesterday I took delivery of the complete package, Genos, Speakers and Stand. The package deal was too good to miss.

Plus I have a Theraputic Use Exemption (Yes I cycle too) which allows me to use the lounge for a short while!

Arrived home around 21:30 and had it assembled and in use by 22:30, started to fall asleep at the keys around 02:30 this morning.

Much to learn but looking forward to the challenge, will post more later.
Standby for masses of very silly questions in the not too distant future.

Steve

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2018, 08:21:25 PM »
Focal Alpha 50s not Hs7 8)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Joe H

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2018, 08:59:17 PM »
I use AKG 271 MkII Studio Monitor headphones... they sound pretty darn good to me.  But I recently discovered these Beyerdynamic headphones, which offer literally flat frequency response and all-day comfort.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-Pro-250-Ohm-Closed-Studio-Headphones/272463922574?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Joe H

Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Del B

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2018, 09:03:08 PM »
Hi Joe
I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohms headphones that were recommended here and I have not looked back they are great and as you said all day wearing them no discomfort.

Offline andyg

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2018, 11:00:10 PM »
I play on headphones around 90% of the time. There are lots of good quality headphones out there and we'll all hear things differently, but my personal preference is for an absolutely 'true' sound, with flat response and as little colouration as possible. 'Monitor' type headphones, basically. I settled on Grado SR60. Brilliant on the Roland organ, S970 and very good for mixing, which surprised me at first as the general consensus is that you should only ever mix on monitor speakers. If and when they wear out I'll be sticking with Grado but may move 'upmarket' in their range.

It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2018, 09:07:54 PM »
AKG 701
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Roland

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2018, 11:07:07 PM »
Hello Steve,

I think you made a very good choice with the Genos. I have never been a fan of "start out with a beginner's tool" because that tends to get pale quickly and my brain would still linger around a Genos :-)

Just make sure you get a set of headphones that you really like and that sound good with the Genos. There is no point in getting an expensive keyboard and cheap headsets that can't make use of the great keyboard sounds. Some good suggestions have already been made - Grado and AKG would definitely be on my list too. And if you want to just play around and test what it sounds like over speakers, you can always start with your home stereo or even computer speakers if they have a sub.

Hope you have a super great time with the new keyboard. Cheers, Roland

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2018, 11:20:15 PM »
Hi Roland
Go out and listen to Focus Alpha 50s--I am not kidding !!!

all the best
john