Author Topic: Changing Key on Playback  (Read 4056 times)

Offline Doghouse Riley

Changing Key on Playback
« on: August 25, 2018, 04:45:03 PM »

On my old PSR 1000, I recorded about 100 tunes some of which I liked to play along to on my tenor sax. I was able to chang the key on playback from keys I liked to use on the piano,  to those I like to use with the sax. This was never a problem.

On my Tyros 5,  I can change the key of anything I recorded using "Song" but with those I've recorded using the "Audio Recorder/Player," which are the most so far, I can't change the key after I've recorded anything. Is there a solution to this problem?
Any help would be appreciated.
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners! I don't like 'em myself, they're pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings." (Philip Marlowe)

Offline RoyceM

Re: Changing Key on Playback
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 05:13:24 PM »
I have done such changes using audio editing software. I'm not familiar with features of various brands and I don't necessarily recommend the one I use. Hopefully one of the free programs can do this for you.

- Royce
DGX-305, Roland E60, S900, S910, S975, Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3, Bose L1 Compact
PSR Performer page

The following users thanked this post: Doghouse Riley

Offline AlBags

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 06:26:29 PM »

Hi
I dont think it be done. Once songs are recorded in wav or mp3 audio formats, you cant have a transpose/pitch alteration on playback.

Al.
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!

Wouter1972

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 06:59:06 PM »
You can change the key when working with midi but once it’s been saved to audio you can no longer change it.

Wouter

Offline panos

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 07:07:55 PM »
Try Riffstation on your pc
https://pro.riffstation.com/download/

or Audacity on your pc again
https://www.audacityteam.org/

always try to change as minimum semitones as possible for the audio file(.wav or .mp3) especially if there is a human voice on the audio file.

And better try a midi recording along with the audio recording on your keyboard.
In a midi recording we can change many many things after the recording is done.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 07:11:12 PM by panos »

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 07:08:17 PM »
The Tyros5 can use various 'trick' functions when playing back audio files.

These include 'Time Stretch' which allows you to change the speed  (tempo) without changing the pitch and 'Pitch Shift' which allows you to change the pitch (in semitones) without changing the tempo.

These 'tricks' are done in real time and are not embedded in the original audio file which is not changed in any way.

However there are some restrictions on what can be done!

For example 'Time Shift' is limited to around 70% of the original speed up to 160%. 

Neither 'Time Shift' or 'Pitch Change' can be used with .mp3 files recorded at 48kHz sampling rate (this is not the 'bit' rate')!

All of the 'trick' playback functions are described in the section 'Playback-related Operations' which starts on page 79 of the 'Tyros5 Owner's Manual'.

Modern DAWS (even the free Audacity) can also do these functions, and can save the file with the changes so that you can play the modified version on any player, even a tiny personal player.  However the results can vary, especially with .mp3 files which of course have had data discarded during recording which can't be recovered.  However if you have recorded the audio on your Tyros5, then it will be in .wav format unless you have subsequently converted it to .mp3 on a computer!

However why not simply keep the original MIDI song that you recorded the audio from?  You could then change the key and tempo at will, just as you were able to do on your previous keyboard!  This also allows you to modify the MIDI song in future if necessary much more easily than trying to edit audio post recording.

You don't have to worry about memory space since you have a 500GB hard disk on your T5.

Regards

Ian

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 07:22:19 PM »
Actually, you can change the pitch of recorded audio, but it's not a simple thing to do.

The simplest way to do it is to speed up or slow down the playback, but this has the undesired effect of shortening or lengthening the duration of each sound-- not just the duration of each note, but the attack/decay/sustain/release times, the transitions between the various overtones in the note, etc.

Many modern DAWs have the ability to automatically identify the transients in an audio track-- the moments when the amplitude or pitch changes significantly-- and let you shift the pitch of the track up or down while maintaining the positions of the transients. But I believe it works best when the pitch is shifted just a little bit; larger shifts tend to introduce odd qualities to the sound that make it sound artificial or "chipmunky."

EDIT -- I was still composing my message when Ian posted his, and I didn't intend to parrot him. :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 07:24:10 PM by SeaGtGruff »

Offline AlBags

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 07:52:52 PM »

Yes .. I agree that the pitch can be changed .. time stretch, etc
BUT ... Everyone I heard changed/modified like this in the past ruined the quality.
I think only solution for Mr Riley is to find/keep midis, as suggested .. or make new ones.
Try, by all means tho!

Al
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!