Author Topic: Concerns about the results of my Backup  (Read 3146 times)

Offline Depo1964

Concerns about the results of my Backup
« on: August 21, 2018, 01:22:09 AM »
To prepare for a Factory Reset, I did a Backup last night (including audio files).
It took 45 minutes to complete a backup of only 9.12 GBs of data.
Does that sound right guys?
Also, when I look at my USB flash drive in Explorer,even though the total says 9.12 GBs of data,
I do not see many of the subfolders, such as, Multi Pad, Playlist, Regist, Style, etc.
Attaching screenshots.   

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline jimlaing

Re: Concerns about the results of my Backup
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 07:54:38 PM »
I did a Backup recently (so I could "Restore" it onto a 2nd Genos) ... and I too only saw the .bup file, and the Audio filter.  All was OK though, and my backup file did indeed have my Voices, Registrations, Multi-pad setups, Songs, etc.  Remember that there is a limitation of up to 2 GB only for the Backup (not including Audio files), per the Referene Manual.

So, it would seem that the .bup file is a special kind of file, that "internally" has all your folders for your stuff such as your custom Voices (not Expansion voices though), your Registrations, your Multipad setups, your Songs (MIDI), etc. etc. - everything except your Audio files.  Oh and the .bup must somehow have your MIDI settings, as when I restored to a 2nd Genos, it automatically got my customize MIDI settings.

Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

The following users thanked this post: Depo1964

Offline Depo1964

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 02:58:00 PM »
I did a Backup recently (so I could "Restore" it onto a 2nd Genos) ... and I too only saw the .bup file, and the Audio filter.  All was OK though, and my backup file did indeed have my Voices, Registrations, Multi-pad setups, Songs, etc.  Remember that there is a limitation of up to 2 GB only for the Backup (not including Audio files), per the Referene Manual.

So, it would seem that the .bup file is a special kind of file, that "internally" has all your folders for your stuff such as your custom Voices (not Expansion voices though), your Registrations, your Multipad setups, your Songs (MIDI), etc. etc. - everything except your Audio files.  Oh and the .bup must somehow have your MIDI settings, as when I restored to a 2nd Genos, it automatically got my customize MIDI settings.

Jim
Thanks Jim,
I suppose 36 Mbs is enough space to store the other folders info into that .bup file.
I just wish that Yamaha would provide a little more detail...  especially for newcomers to their arranger workstations.
ciao,  Dan

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 06:55:01 PM »
I just wish that Yamaha would provide a little more detail...  especially for newcomers to their arranger workstations.

Hi Dan --

When it comes to stuff like this, Yamaha is always, "Nothing to see here. Move along." The Yamaha engineers are probably just as curious and eager to explore as us, but the corporate culture is incredibly tight-mouthed. I tend to be an open source kind of guy, and sometimes their culture drives me crazy as well as anyone who has ever tried to build software tools for their 'boards.

All the best -- pj

The following users thanked this post: Depo1964

Offline Depo1964

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 02:48:39 AM »
Hi Dan --

When it comes to stuff like this, Yamaha is always, "Nothing to see here. Move along." The Yamaha engineers are probably just as curious and eager to explore as us, but the corporate culture is incredibly tight-mouthed. I tend to be an open source kind of guy, and sometimes their culture drives me crazy as well as anyone who has ever tried to build software tools for their 'boards.

All the best -- pj
That kind of corporate culture will kill the brand.... Yep,  I'm an open source kind of guy myself.... Did Yamaha ever envision that some folks might come
up with good solutions to customers problems and questions?  Nah!!!! at least that's what it appears to be like hey?
Thx for the response.