Author Topic: A Idea to benefit our community  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Mendel

A Idea to benefit our community
« on: August 09, 2018, 02:25:21 AM »
Hello to all!

I thought of an interesting idea to benefit all of us,
and that is to have a chat for the forum members
were it can be useful at times a lot.. like similar
to reddit where you have the forum aspect and they
have also a chat in the convenience of the members.

What do you guys think?
Maybe this should this be PMed to Joe W?
Is this worth the hype.. am i just dreaming  :P

Regards,
Mendel G.

Offline Roger Brenizer

Re: A Idea to benefit our community
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 05:33:07 AM »
Joe will see your post, Mendel, so there's no need to PM Joe.

This is not currently feasible with the forum software we use and would most likely entail installing a separate module, if such a module even exists for this use.

In my view, there is no need for such a feature, because essentially, we chat with each other via the various boards every day.  We just don't do this in real time.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline Mendel

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 05:42:07 AM »
ok, but lets say ppl would yes want.. so i know of a great chat platform called discord.

mendel

Offline alanclare

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 07:28:48 AM »
Surely the world doesnít need yet another form of social media? There are plenty enough out there to choose from.

Alan

Offline Mendel

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 07:48:50 AM »
Hi alanclare,

Can you please elaborate?

Thank You,
Mendel :)

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 09:33:02 AM »
I have Discord installed for an online game, although I haven't actually used it yet for chatting. If you have a headset I think you can also do voice chat.

Anyone can create a Discord "server"(?) and let people join it, so people who were interested could install Discord and join the server.

There shouldn't be any reason why it has to be created for and endorsed by the PSR Tutorial Forum in particular.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710

Offline alanclare

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 10:26:42 AM »
Hi alanclare,

Can you please elaborate?

Thank You,
Mendel :)
Mendel

Try https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_chat_websites

Alan

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 11:13:33 AM »
Hi.

After seen some bad examples of how this with chat can evolve on other forums, I have to agree with those who are not so very positive to the idea..
At a forum like this I think live chat is not appropriate, and moreover, with as many members as here, it requires monitoring by moderators as long as the chat is open.
One can only see in various threads how easy things can go offtopic and also how easy misunderstandings can occur.
As already menioned in posts above, there are many opportunities to interact with each other, and in general, answers to the questions or exchanges of opinions are ready to read quite shortly after a thread has been opened or a post has been posted.

Just my 2c...  :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 11:17:06 AM by Gunnar Jonny »
Cheers & Happy Playing.  :)
GJ

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 11:13:53 AM »
Yea. DISCORD is the same as BAND and a lot of gamers use such free chat systems. For that matter I know my wife chats using FACEBOOK with her 5 sisters live.

There is also a free verbal chat I use when a group of us fly online called, TEAM SPEAK, and it is free too. You just need a head set with a mic to chat but you can also type as well. Generally the typing is to send links to the other members, in our case it could be used to send links to a BOX account.

Regards
Drake

Offline ekurburski

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 10:16:54 PM »
I like others see no use for a chat.  I come to the forum when I want and read what I want and answer what I want.
PSR740, PSR3000, tx7, mt32, mirage, ProTiools 10,11 Sonar,  Reaper, BIAB2018 an a 4' stack of computer Music mags

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 10:31:22 PM »
I agree. There is no need for this.
Toril S

PSR S970, PSR 2100 and PSR-47.

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Joe H

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 01:57:23 AM »
Joe will see your post, Mendel, so there's no need to PM Joe.

This is not currently feasible with the forum software we use and would most likely entail installing a separate module, if such a module even exists for this use.

In my view, there is no need for such a feature, because essentially, we chat with each other via the various boards every day.  We just don't do this in real time.

I think using PMs is a way to chat between members already... or even exchange email to do that.  but an open chat room format... I think would deter from the original purpose of this forum... in fact I think there is too much "chatter" going on already with some members who think this forum is social media; which it is NOT...  IMHO

;)

Joe H
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 02:43:55 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Mendel

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 11:32:42 PM »
Thanks guys for your input.. i was just wondering about the idea  :-X

Offline Joe W

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 06:57:01 PM »
Many years ago, I did try an online chat feature.  It did not last.  This is an "international" forum and so what may be a convenient time on one side of the world is definitely not convenient on another.  Even with "chats" announce ahead of time, there would not be a large number attending.  And, if you have read through this message thread, probably very quickly, imagine waiting for each participant to type out their contributions.  What you could read in five minutes from this forum would take an hour to generate in a live chat setting.  I'm glad there are other places folks can go if they do want to chat, but I agree with several of the comments in this thread that a chat room in the PSR Tutorial is not needed.
-- Joe Waters
Tyros5
PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: ibrox2, hans1966, alanclare

Offline alanclare

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 09:52:13 PM »
Hip, hip, hurrah!

Alan

Offline hans1966

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 05:37:12 AM »
I totally agree with Joe W and the rest of my colleagues, that there is no need to open a chat online. I do not see it necessary. When I have a question or concern about a specific topic, I simply write the question, and when it is time a member of the forum will respond.   greetings   Hans