Author Topic: For your listening enjoyment..  (Read 4033 times)

keynote

For your listening enjoyment..
« on: August 08, 2018, 03:16:10 PM »
I recently recorded a song using my Genos called "Walk of Life" by Dire Straits. The vocals are by the original artist but all the instruments sounds are from the Genos. This was a fun diversion from playing along with style accompaniment. :) I hope you enjoy it. The main purpose in doing these types of projects is to demonstrate the various sounds of the Genos within the context of the vocals being sung by the original artists. The instruments used were S.Art WhiterBars JS, S.Art RockOrgan JS, ElectricOrgan, BajanAccBass (accordion), GreenFlash (synth), Steel Guitar, Clean Guitar, Distortion Guitar, FingerBass and Rock Drum Kit. I arranged the midi instrumental parts and then saved it as a .wav file. I imported both the instrumental and vocal tracks into Audacity where I did further editing which included syncing up the vocal track.

The song is about Buskers (street musicians/performers) in case anyone is wondering. It is legal to busk in the U.K. as long as you are age 14 years or older but in some cases you will need a license. Here in the U.S. it is also legal to perform in public and no license or permit is required unless a sound device such as a loud speaker, megaphone, or stereo is used or you perform in or next to a park.

PS: The original song was released in 1985 and peaked at number seven in the US charts and was Dire Straits biggest commercial hit in the UK, peaking at number two.

Walk of Life  -- PS: I think this song will be enjoyed more if you listen to it through a good quality pair of headphones.

Mike

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

Offline vbdx66

Re: For your listening enjoyment..
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 04:01:57 PM »
Hi Mike,

Very nice rendition of this old song. It is very hard to tell the backing is not made with real instruments.  8)

Dire Straits were such a great band and Mark Knopfler such a great singer/guitarist.

Any chance you would do “Going Home” (the theme of “Local Hero”) for a future cover?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bqBfUJqo2pM&list=PL7a4u6KlnMXbLnXAsfIWCQMhLNTEKJ9SZ&index=15&t=0s

Regards,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 04:36:31 PM »
Hi Mike,
   There were slight timing issues with the vocal track in places. As you know you have to be a little careful when performing in public with copywrite issues on vocals copied from actual performances but the backing sounded great.

keynote

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 05:53:23 PM »
Hi Mike,

Any chance you would do “Going Home” (the theme of “Local Hero”) for a future cover?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bqBfUJqo2pM&list=PL7a4u6KlnMXbLnXAsfIWCQMhLNTEKJ9SZ&index=15&t=0s

Regards,

Vinciane

Hi Vinciane,

This is a more mellow arrangement of Going Home by Mark Knopfler. It is also a shortened version and there are no drums or saxophone or distorted guitar. All the sounds are from the Genos. Another plug for the Genos right? 8) Enjoy!

PS: I couldn't find an arrangement that included any vocals if there are any. Also people that listen to this song should be careful about the volume level because the beginning starts off soft and then gets pretty loud when the guitar kicks in.

Going Home by Mark Knopfler

Mike

The following users thanked this post: vbdx66

keynote

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 05:56:00 PM »
Hi Mike,
   There were slight timing issues with the vocal track in places. As you know you have to be a little careful when performing in public with copywrite issues on vocals copied from actual performances but the backing sounded great.

Thanks for the input Eileen. I noticed there was a little bit of timing issues here and there but overall I think it served its purpose which was for people's listening enjoyment. :)

Mike

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 07:35:07 PM »
Hi Vinciane,

This is a more mellow arrangement of Going Home by Mark Knopfler. It is also a shortened version and there are no drums or saxophone or distorted guitar. All the sounds are from the Genos. Another plug for the Genos right? 8) Enjoy!

PS: I couldn't find an arrangement that included any vocals if there are any. Also people that listen to this song should be careful about the volume level because the beginning starts off soft and then gets pretty loud when the guitar kicks in.

Going Home by Mark Knopfler

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the arrangement  8)

You are right, no vocals in this one. I think the lead is taken by the saxophone.

Best Regards,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.